[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Stumbles very intermitantly - Fuel pressure??
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Stumbles very intermitantly - Fuel pressure?? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Stumbles very intermitantly - Fuel pressure??
Mine uses straps. So perhaps its the NWMP tank?? I can't imagine the design is a whole lot different?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Airtex claims that their pump is hot because it's not getting enough fuel. They want me to install yet another gauge before their pump. So I am working on that, but not finding a clean way to do it other than a double barbed Tee fitting with 1/8" NPT port for the gauge.

But that got me to thinking the differences I have now vs what I was running before the rebuild.
Originally, I had what I believe was the factory HP fuel pump from the engine donor; a 95 F-250. And a Holley Red LP pump.
Now, I have the Airtex E2000 getting fuel from the Carter P4070.

Specs on the LP pumps:
Carter: Holley:
50gal/hr 97 Gal/hr
Max 8 psi Max 7psi, but flows 71GPH @ 4psi

Am I not getting the volume I need? I guess I am shooting in the dark until I know the PSI of the LP side, but has me wondering....

Those of you running this, do you also have an accumulator?

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm running the accumulator between pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am also using an accumulator.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I got by without an accumulator in the past, and I am really hoping to do the same again. KISS principle!

Anyway, a little update...

Got an inline fuel pressure gauge installed on the LP side. When I turn the key on, I get 5psi, but it drains off within a second or two. While HP side remains at 30psi. When it's running I am seeing 5 and 30 psi respectively.

I did a volume test on the LP side and I am getting near 60 gph where the Carter is rated for 50, so that sounds good.

I have contacted both pump companies. Airtex rep said that he would replace the E2000 pump given the current information, but he was adamant about me confirming the Carter was doing it's job. They have a lifetime warranty, so I guess I will start that process.

No response yet from Carter. They did ask me to install the gauge as well, so I have sent them the info above.

I'd like to round up a spare HP fuel pump connector so that I can easily swap in my original pump just in case. My dad said he had trouble with it, but he said he found the connecting wires had arc'd together and once he fixed that, it was fine. But I felt it was cheap insurance to get a new one. My mistake!! But I'd like to replace with a new Airtex and take my original along as a spare.

Anyone know a cheap source for that connector? I'm not even finding anything online. Perhaps I am not searching for the correct criteria. I can snap a pic sometime.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:31 pm

I was reading a post on CB about airtex pumps. most people have had bad luck with them and premature failures. That being said I ran a walbro inline.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

EFIguy said he doesn't like them either. But that was the first I had heard of a bad rap... Do you know what model Walbro? I'm wondering how easy it would be to swap into my system.

So I am trying to get Amazon to send me a new Airtex. Should know in 12-24hrs... I hate to try again, but I will give them another chance. I will also get my old one ready in the event this one fails too.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry I didn't post up before. Haven't had much free time after moving. I've been running an Airtex pump & accumulator. I started with a cheapo LP pump, but switched to a Carter. No problems with either one.

Is this the connector? Ran across it on a random Google search "ford bronco efi fuel pump electric connector"

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/M ... 56822.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcraft-WT-5 ... 1558223399

The shape seems right, but there are 4 wires, so it's probably wrong. My 74 is 1000 miles away, so I can't check out whats on it. I had a salvage yard E2000 style pump the connector came from.

Could you use a weather pack connector? It's not perfect, but if I remember the wires are just attached with ring terminals/threaded posts at the pump.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I need to walk out there and look at mine, but that does look about right.

The pump does have screw terminals, but I do not believe the original does. I need to find the box it's in and take a closer look.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Jd check out my pump in the fs section.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Amazon has amazing customer service! Airtex pump #1 replaced because it appears to have been faulty. Airtex #2, broken screw terminal. So I have Amazon call me and the rep profusely apologized for my issues and offered to refund me for the Airtex pump. She not only refunded me for the price of the pump, but an additional $30! So I turned around and ordered a Bosch 69100, which appears to be the OEM replacement pump. I have since installed that and the bronco idled great for about 20 minutes and it still felt cool to the touch. I'm ready for a more thorough test soon! Here's to hoping my troubles are behind me!

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've done two test drives. One back into town and back (14 miles) and then to pickup my son at school (36 miles). I am happy to say I have had no issues, so I am ready for another trail run to try it out for real!!!

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have had no issues aside from operator error... Without a working fuel gauge, I've always had to guess at how much fuel I had. And I always just used the logic of 10mpg, and I would fill up in factors of 5...so I knew roughly how far I could go. Well...this time I had forgotten about a couple trips to town...so about a week ago after attending a church men's night at the local archery range I was headed home around 11pm and my bronco starts to cut out. A little different than in the past, but still fuel related. I checked fuel pressure with key on and it was low...hmm. I rock the bronco around and hear no sloshing in the tank. Oops!! Giving up on my wife after 11 calls, I call a buddy who was also at the range and he tows me home. Next day, I pour about 2 gallons of fuel in from my mower stash and prime the pumps until they sound different and she fires right up again!!! I've filled it up since then and taken a few local trips and all is well!!

I keep dragging my feet on spending the money on a new tank, but I've about had it not having a working fuel gauge!!

I have a trail day scheduled for the 14th, and I think the bronco is ready!

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll try! Been struggling to post pics since photobucket pulled the carpet out! We're headed to SMORR.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

As I believe I alluded to, I still had fuel issues. I got a couple hours of wheeling before I broke the rear yoke. And now that I have that fixed it, WOW it has been out since I got it to IL... The leaf spring center pin has been sheared for some time causing that rear axle to be about 1/2" out of square! Imagine the vibrations!!

IN an effort to get back to my trailer, I had to attempt a 1/2 mile hill climb in FWD. I failed near the top, but not for lack of trying... It was after this hill assault that the bronco would die out again and not restart. The engine wasn't hot, but must have gotten warmer. But after a few hours, had no issue pulling itself onto the trailer!

Anywho - I've decided to try just one HP pump. So I relocated it to nearest the tank and re-plumbed all the lines. It's hard to test drive a topless rig when it's about 38 and humid, but a quick 3 mile loop didn't yield any apparent issues. However, the only true test is and will remain a trail run. I am somewhat concerned that now with winter upon us, the ambient temp may allow any further fueling issues to be masked. But we'll run it like this and see!

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just wanted to post up that the single Bosch HP pump near the tank has worked well on the last run to Flat Nasty. It was, however, in the mid 20's so a real test will have to wait until later this spring when the weather warms up. But I will say that the bronco ran perfectly all day and while I am holding my breathe, I have gained back some confidence in the ole girl...

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am happy to report a VERY successful weekend at SMORR for the Howiepalooza. Bronco ran without a hitch, and we wheeled fairly hard for two days with no breakage!! I am 99.9% sure I have my fuel issue fixed, but the weather was still in the high 60's. I feel a real test will be when it's in the 80's+. But I am confident it'll be fine!

That is the most wheeling time I've done in my bronco for probably 7 years now! Or at least I just doubled it. I'm starting to get back into my groove and get a feel for what her limits are again.

And ya know...these Midwest Bronco guys are pretty cool too!

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Very nice. Always a good weekend when your wheeling instead of wrenching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2