[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Front suspension improvements
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Front suspension improvements 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Front suspension improvements
I am going to finally dive into making the suspension on my 69 better. In particular I have not been happy with the track bar riser, up travel, shock valving etc..

Have a few questions, but my order of attack is as follows:

1. Remove the track bar riser on the axle and move to a longer track bar across to the passenger knuckle.
2. Check up/down travel once track bar is moved remove old bump stops, add new air bumps to frame above long arms.
3. Look into shocks with larger rod diameter and better valving, shield shocks and reservoir from engine heat.

Question:
I already know I will have to fab something to the knuckle i have looked at several threads on CB.com and almost every one of them is using a Heim on the axle end due to clearance issues with the drag link. Is there any reason Why I cannot use a bushing on the frame side to help with vibration? Are there any other rod ends I should consider rather than a Heim joint?

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Post Re: Front suspension improvements
Talk to digger on the valving. He got mine really close right outta the box.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here you go. Main reason to remove the riser is it limits my uptravel when I hit any dips at speed and wallops my bump stops. Used to hit the frame until I moved the axle and bump stop.

It drives great with virtually no bumpsteer.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd suggest running a bushing on the frame side for the reasons you mentioned. I used a factory upper link bushing for a YJ.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the info Justin, I will be taking some measurements tomorrow and start ordering stuff up. With that being said - anyone have any extra DOM laying around? I think I will need no more than 40". Will have to call around to see if I can pick up a shorter length rather than the typical 8 or 10 feet..

Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What size?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Last edited by landshark on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't think you need more than 1.25", but I don't know what wall thickness. Roll cage is usually 1.75" x .120. I might go a might thicker on the track bar, but smaller OD.

I put a bushing at both ends mainly because that is what was there and fit into my overall plans.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

K&K is almost like a junkyard. You never know what you'll find!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just looked and I'm out of that size. I think Hinton will do smaller pieces.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a extra piece of DOM from when I built my roll cage.
Diameter of. OD = 1 1/2
ID = 1 1/4
.120 wall thickness
Length of = 7' 10"

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys. I just picked up a 5 ft stick and found my entire 1ton steering setup prior to going knuckle over so should have enough now! Just need to order the JJ And find one other bit to start in on it.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

is anybody using these on their tie rod ends ?

If so, does it work as advertised (reduce the sloppy) ?

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R1768.html

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am using it on the drag link down at the "Y" it helps reduce the roll of the TRE's when you steer from side to side. It doesn't eliminate it however, you have to fix the angle that the drag link and tie rod sit at so that the drag link doesn't push the tie rod over or roll.. if that makes sense. I had to remove the boot on the drag link to use it.It doesn't seal completely but I grease everything 3-4 times a year anyway.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

By the way K&K surplus has a ton of selection, priced well and helpful. Found exactly what I needed and bought some plate and other stuff. Hinton is good too if your buying length/quantity.

And they are open on Saturday's until noon which was helpful this morning.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got a bunch done even though I had to go out for a few things mid day. I will have to find a 8" 3/4 grade bolt for the frame heim as the 6" bolt is short. Other than that everything clears. Angle wise iam about 2.8 degrees off at ride height between the track bar and drag link. Don't want to drop the frame bracket so will see how it drives as is. If I need to I can change to a heim on the pitman arm and gain at least 2 degrees.

Anyway everything is tacked. Will weld and brace everything tomorrow and cut off the old riser.

Next iam going to build some heat shields for the shocks and measure for air bumps, might do what digger did as iam running out of room

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is a interesting way to tie the axle end into the knuckle, I'd like to see your bracing when you are done. I'm having the same interference on BSD with the track bar riser and frame.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Have a little more welding to do but it should hold just fine. I have a bunch of photos from others who have done similar setups if your interested.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:28 pm

The bracing you added looks good, I've never welded the C's did you have to preheat them?

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks good Chris. I hope it works well for you!

Do you have a Fastenal nearby for the bolts you need?

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I will post up others photos and what I used to build it. Turned out great so far but still working on my list of to do's and haven't driven it. Hope to get it back on the road end of the week.

Ended up going to Fasental for the 8" 3/4 grade 8 bolt with nylon lock nut. Might drill a hole and use a castle nut later.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Realized I never posted photos of where i ended up. I think I might drop the track bar and re-enforce the mount to put it in plane with the drag link - have slight bumpsteer at speed , also noticed an increase in body roll and might consider a swar bar with quick disconnect..

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]