[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Headlight wiring help - Solved!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Headlight wiring help - Solved! 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Headlight wiring help - Solved!
So I finally got around to install those fancy LED headlights that Zoso spearheaded a couple years ago. Drivers side is only working on the low beams, and very dim at that. The other side is bright, but almost appears that both beams are on. ON the high beams, drivers side goes out completely and passenger side appears to work correctly (lower bulb lights up).

So assuming my wiring harness colors have changed throughout the years, how can I check if the wiring is done correctly?

My assumption was the center connector was ground, but that appears to be wrong as on both driver and passenger sides, one of the side pins goes to ground. Also appears they are mirror of each other.

So from there, which pin should be high beams and which should be low. And should I be seeing a full 12v at those connector with the dimmer switch in the appropriate setting? Thanks!

Last edited by Jesus_man on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Headlight wiring help
I've done some more research and determined what the pins are. I think this is correct...
Drivers side, looking at the female connectors, the right side is high beam, Top is Low beam, and the left is ground.
Passenger side is a mirror, with the ground being on the right.

First thing I notice is that the LED transformer connectors, the black wire is in the same position on both connectors, so it doesn't mirror. I assumed the black wire was ground, so I am not sure how this affects the headlights? Probably not at all since factory bulbs did not differentiate between driver or passenger side??

So here's my results and I am hoping someone can say that this looks good, or that I have an issue.

My first concern is seeing voltage at both pins for both high and low beams. Do I have a bad switch? Thanks!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Headlight connectors should be identical from side to side. No mirror image stuff going on or you would have specific left and right headlights.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ok, time to look into the pigtail wiring then. I can't imagine that if the highs and lows were crossed, that it would blow one of the lights tho would it?

I think I found a diagram online (seabiscuits site??) where it had factory colors. From there, I should be able to determine what is amiss!

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Red-black is low beam, green-black is high beam.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here is the headlight connector.
c-402.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Viper! I'll make them both match that!! The pigtails are in pretty poor condition. They need replaced, so perhaps now is the time. Wish I would have ordered them when I ordered new adjusters and a dimmer switch!

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So, my son and I got it figured out!!!! The drivers side high and low beams were cross threaded! So I moved them around in the very sloppy connector and viola! It all works as it should!! Now to aim them!

I will order new pigtails soon too as these are just shot!

Thanks for all the help!

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Headlight wiring help - Solved!
A good night for a test run!

Low beams:
LEDHeadsLow.jpg

High Beams:
LEDHeadsHigh.jpg

I need to find a level driveway to really dial in the alignment, but I am VERY happy with the results!!

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm still kickin myself for not getting in on the group buy for this lights

LOOKS GREAT ,

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:38 am

WOW those lights are great, nice upgrade!

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:07 am

Im thinking of pulling mine out and going to those ones. I like mine but those have a bit better beam pattern. Maybe another group buy.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]