[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Replacing 9" yoke - new crush sleeve?
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
 Replacing 9" yoke - new crush sleeve? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Replacing 9" yoke - new crush sleeve?
I am replacing the yoke on my 9". Do I need to replace the crush sleeve or can I just replace the seal and torque the pinion yoke back on?

Thanks!

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Replacing 9" yoke - new crush sleeve?
I’d say the proper way is to replace the crush sleeve, but then you’ll have to pull the pinion to get the setting right. And if you are going to pull the pinion I’d use a crush sleeve eliminator.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:39 am

Agree with Kirk. I'd put in a crush sleeve eliminator and be done with it.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was youtube'ing and came to the same conclusion...but if I do that, then I need to reset the ring gear as well correct? I would assume the pinion depth would change a bit if I replace any part of the pinion assembly.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No need to reset the gears if you don’t mess with the pinion bearings or the pinion shim(s). You’re going to need a dial or beam inch pound torque wrench to get the preload correct.

I’ll add that you want to get the “feel” of how much backlash you have before you tear into it and compare that to what you have after. It shouldn’t change.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ahh, that's right! The shims for the pinion depth are under the pinion retainer... Wow, so rusty!

Ok, so I'll order the eliminator kit, a new seal and a yoke. Everything else should be good to go!

BTW found what appears to be a nice forged yoke for $60 on amazon!

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

When I was looking at gears for my F250, I found this site. Very good price for a crush sleeve eliminator. Lots of good reviews of the seller.

http://www.ratechmfg.com/pop_up_order%204105.htm

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:27 pm

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:49 am

And watch what crush sleeve kit you get. My buddy ordered one for his 8.8 and it only came with 4 shims and we could not get it right with what they provided. Good thing I have kept all my old ones cause we needed them.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm hoping to get my rear axle operational again tomorrow, but I am struggling to find proper torque specs for the solid sleeve and how to go about it.

Looks like I need to remove the pinion retainer. I set this axle up 10+ years ago, and I am not confident it was 100% correct, so given the opportunity to make it a tad better, I'd like to know what the torque specs should be for everything as I go back together with it, including housing bolts, etc. I do have an in/lb torque wrench I can borrow.

Anyone have those laying around?

Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Used pinion bearing preload is 6-7 inch pounds.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow that's lower than I expected. Thought I saw new is 25in/lbs

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This could go in the "SUX" thread!! I fought getting the pinion out of the retainer for about an hour, smashing my knuckle in the process (no press) to discover the setup already had a crush sleeve eliminator in it!! So waiting on these parts was a waste of time. I guess I get to return the kit I bought.

But it has no oil slinger. How important is that?? And now, should I also order a new yoke nut?

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You should use a new yoke nut but as they are technically one use. But don’t tell anyone, I have reused a few with no ill affects. Just used some blue thread locker.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Replacing 9

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I got a package of those nuts from Fastenal if you have one near you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Huh...fastenal never ceases to amaze! I do have one. But it's all buttoned up for the time being...

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So while the new forged yoke survived the trip, it clearly doesn't have the clearances a factory one does:

Time to get the die grounder out for some clearancing!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:40 pm

JD your picture about the yoke did not show up. I am curious as to what the issue was. Im ready to order one up.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a pretty severe driveshaft angle so you may not have trouble but there was an interference where the cap bosses contacted the valleys of the yoke. Not crazy tho. Pm me your number and I'll text you pic.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Let me try to link the picture again:

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It doesn’t look like you had to shave off much.

Any concern about balance \ vibration as a result ?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:31 pm

Yea thats not much. But just enough. good to know. I'll likely order that yoke up in the next few days.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The picture is after the self clearance. So I ground it out a bit more and tried to make it as symmetrical as possible.

That being said, I haven't driven it on the highway since. Been trying to address some other issues. So I am not sure of any vibration issues, or if I'd even notice them in my rig.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I’m not sure if any driveline shop could balance a yoke, worth a phone call though.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

JD - did you return the crush sleeve eliminator kit ?

If not, I’m needing one and could buy yours from you.

LMK

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Replacing 9

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry man, I did return it. Not sure what was in the axle, but this is the one I bought:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]