[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Custom Brake lines
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Custom Brake lines 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Custom Brake lines
As I was checking fuel pressures on the trail when it died out on me, I noticed some fluid spots near the drivers side fender and on the frame rail. After making some changes to the fuel system this weekend, I decided to see what was leaking.

Apparently the custom line I had made years ago at whistler is too close to the header and it's cooked to the point it's leaking.

Polling the local 4x4 club, no one seems to know a source for custom made lines. Anyone know of a good online co that may create something for me?

As for a remedy, I think I'll shorten that bracket, which must have been a part of the body lift??

Ugh, I hate brake fluid and bleeding brakes! But at least I caught this before it failed completely!

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Custom Brake lines
I have used braided stainless lines with AN fittings for almost 20 yrs now. speedwaymotors.com is out of Lincoln NE and is a well known speed shop. They have AN to inverted flare adapters, including ones with the tab mount ring to fit into the Bronco frame mounts. You can get standard off the shelf lines in various lengths.

The bonus is one or two spare AN lines fit every position on the vehicle (including the clutch line in my case).

Sorry I have pics, but Im posting from a mobile.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:44 am

I've had custom lines (DOT approved) made locally in Fort Collins check there web site if they offer shipping, I'm not sure if Napa make custom brake lines? http://lovelandtubesnhoses.com/

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Digger - that seems like a good way to go, but how much more expensive does that get? You have two adapters per line. For this application, I would like to have a hose with 90* bends in them, so are there AN hoses with that setup? I see what you're staying in terms of spares. Even a straight hose could work in a pinch for this application.

Strike - thanks! I may call them. My Napa only has standard hard lines available. I did find a 4x4 shop about 30 minutes from here that can make them. So I may remove it and see what they can do.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you can't route that away from the exhaust or create a heat shield braided line may not be your best option. As braided line normally has a plastic poly liner. Just one of the reasons many braided lines are not DOT approved.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

X2 on speedway motors... they have lines from 6" to 60". Kevlar or stainless - cheap too

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think a combination of shortening that support bracket and routing the line next to the inner fender will be sufficient in getting it away from the heat. Maybe I can make a sleeve for out from some exhaust wrap I have somewhere...

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes, you can get lines with 90 degree ends. Some retailers have DOT approved AN lines. The only difference visually is that DOT lines have a clear vinyl hose over the braided line.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm in contact with speedway. I'll compare prices and go from there.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

After some conversations with speedway, it appears to make a lot of sense to convert to AN fittings. I would imagine the fittings aren't so malleable and prone to stripping the hex as a standard brake fitting is. And I think it can still be done for under $50, which as I recall, is about what I spent. But that's been a long time. I'm hoping to dig up the receipt to confirm pricing and hope the sizes are on there!

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Once you convert to AN you shouldnt have to touch those inverted flare fittings again. AN / JICs are pretty robust. Havent stripped one yet. Sealing them requires much less pressure

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am concerned about sizes. The MC fitting measures out at .48" OD, while the fitting on the H-block is .35". So am I to surmise that the upper fitting is a 1/2"-20 and the lower is a 3/8"-? I am nearly certain that the master cylinder is still a stock unit and the H-block probably is as well.

I am not sure there are adapters for 1/2" to a -3AN fitting (at least at speedway).

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Custom brake lines with braided stainless aren't hard. I made a few mistakes but easily corrected them. Granted, these connections are for AstroVan hydroboost but everything else from the block on down to the brakes is stock. You can find adapters for just about any size....Google is your friend.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My issue right now is correctly identifying the sizes I have to deal with. I think they are 1/2" and 3/8", but I hate to order adapters until I know for sure. I just don't want to crack the system open until I know I can close it back up in short order.

You have good brake pedal feel with those lines?

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yep, no issues at all with the pressure etc.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I also have the same kind of lines and ends. I have had no issues with pedal feel and the newer connectors for the hose ends are easier to make now. I plan on converting my current hard line setup from my master cylinder to the frame on my 69 in a month or so.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good news is I have tracked down the sizes I need. At the MC is a 1/2" and at the H-block its 3/8". So now to figure out which route makes the most sense for me.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My new brake hose should be here this week. I am hoping that I do indeed have the correct sizes. But I ordered two adapters to -3AN and a 15" -3AN hose. I hate brake fluid, but I am excited to get this thing sorted out so I can drive it. Probably after I round up some help to put the top back on.

Anyone need a leg work-out to bleed some brakes??

Where do you get rid of your old brake fluid?

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I just recycle it with oil at O'reilly.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I finally have my new brake line hooked up! What a struggle to get the right adapters!

FWIW, on what I believe is the factory H-block, the two forward fittings are 3/8"-24 IFM (Passenger) and 7/16"-24 IFM (Driver). I believe the rear facing match those sizes, but I didn't confirm. At the Master Cylinder, the rear port is a 9/16"-18 IFM and the front is a 1/2"-20 IFM.

Anyway, I ordered all my parts from Speedwaymotors.com and am pleased with the pricing and customer service.

Bad picture, but you can see the lines coming down to the H-block where I put Spark Plug sleeves over the lines in hopes reflect heat from the headers. I will tie the lines to the inner fender to keep them away from the steering shaft. After I bleed the brakes, my bronco will be road worthy again. Perhaps I can begin to tackle lighting to make it actually legal...

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]