[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Engine Gurus...289 Rebuild or Replace???
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Engine Gurus...289 Rebuild or Replace??? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Engine Gurus...289 Rebuild or Replace???
I finally got the engine, a 289, running in my ‘68, “runs & sounds” great, smooth. Has four barrel carburetor. BUT!!! It smokes horrendously from the tailpipe and overheats just idling in the driveway and there’s almost no oil left on the dipstick from my original oil change. I’ve put 0 miles on the engine since I bought the Bronco - I’m guessing it’s the original engine no rebuild.

From what little engine knowledge I have, sounds like it needs a lower end rebuilt, ring job? ( I really have no idea or engine experience)

I’m wondering if I should have the entire engine rebuilt or if I can just have the lower end rebuild or whether I should try to find a good running used 289 or 302 and just replace it with that?

I’m looking for the best bang for the buck, and I certainly don’t want to buy a $300 engine, install it and find out it needs the same or more work than my old one. Any thoughts, ideas welcome!

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Post Re: Engine Gurus...289 Rebuild or Replace???
Pull it all and have it all gone through. Including having the heads checked as well as a valve job. Go talk to the guys at greeley automotive and machine.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

^ what he said.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

x3. I've been impressed with Western Engine Supply. The did the heads on the engine I built and it was quality work.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yep what ^^^^^ they said

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Rebuild it

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Are you concerned with originality? Perhaps there are gains to be had with rebuilding a used 302 instead? 351?

In any case, it's unanimous - rebuild it!

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok, so rebuild it. Yeah I figured as much. I just called and talked to Greeley automotive and machine(gamracingengines.com)

Nice guy, very informative as to what probably needs to be done and as far as $$$ goes, he said plan on $2500-$3000. He said that's pretty standard for a stock kind of rebuild.

I'm sure that's a bargain, but not what I bargained for. Looks like I'll be doing a cheap used engine swap. Maybe I can find one fresh out of a Mustang or Bronco that I can see running before its pulled?

I just can't swing that kinda cheese :(:(:(

Thanks for your input!

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yikes, that’s approaching crate engine prices. Do yourself a favor and get a quote for just the machine work and replacement parts without assembly, it should be less than 2k.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good used engines are out there. I sold my 302 long block in good shape for something like $300.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I might have a good 302 long block this winter if I decide to do the roller 5.0 this winter.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:49 pm

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Rob,
I’ll give him a call tomorrow.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have some awesome engine rebuilding videos that were priceless when I built my 427. Those coupled with some good YouTube videos and you're on your way to rebuilding it yourself. Happy to loan out.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement!
I'll post up when I figure this out... banghead

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a bunch of new top end stuff if needed. Cam, lifters, rockers, timing chain, etc

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok, well it must have been fate? I got a running 289 heart transplant out of a '65 mustang fastback that I got to see run...and do burnouts!!! The owner said the engine in the Mustang was originally out of an early Bronco!!!

Sounded healthy but just the fact that I saw it run was enough for me! And at $200 bucks I won't complain! (yet ;)

to be continued...

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Full circle, both the engine and donuts!!! No video of said burnouts?

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Congrats on finding a motor! You know your now committed to post a Bronco burnout icon biggin

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]