[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Spare Parts to have
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Spare Parts to have 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Spare Parts to have
So I am looking to get a list of spare parts to have on hand for trail runs and eventually things to have for the Bronco trip down to Baja. Was wanting to get some ideas what essentials people keep on hand but also have a few quesitons about what I have and what to buy.

U Joints - I am pretty sure I need 1310 Spicer U-joints but when looking on NAPA, they're seems to be a bunch of different ones. So I am curious as to which to get. I currently have Tom Wood's driveshafts and I did not upgrade to the larger u-joints. Are the U-joints on the Stock Power Steering Box to the steering shaft the same?

Wheel Bearings - I have a big bearing 9" with 31 spline shafts that I bought from Wild Horses. My understanding is they are the bearing and seal in one. Can these be bought at a local parts store?

Off the top of my head, this is the list of things I plan to have a spare of:
- Radiator hoses
- Computer for EFI
- Extra coil pack
- Fuses
- D20 Rear Output Shaft
- Fluids
- Various bolts and screws
- Air Filter
- Fuel Filters (both low and high output)
- Bulk hose and hose clamps

I know guys tend to have spare axles but I don't want to purchase new just to have spares. I know for Baja, we aren't doing anything crazy. Would love to hear any other suggestions...

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Spare Parts to have

Last edited by cravenbronco on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:57 am

The last time I ran parts of the Baja trail I had a cone style dry filter and was 3rd in the pack, the dust at times was bad enough to clog the filter and choke the motor, it freaked me out at first so good call on a spare air filter thumbs up
I'm not sure what type of filter your running or if they make a pre-filter sock for it might be a thought?

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spare starter and alternator.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

personally, i always carried a voltage reg (after my Golden Corral ordeal), and a 44 stub shaft & 1 locking hub. Its easy to go overboard and I feel what spares you bring is based on each expedition your going on.
offroader trick #57- bring some quart zip-lock baggies. If you need to catch oil (say a diff) you can reclaim the old oil, seal it, lay it in your diff cover. When said repair is completed, then slam the whole shi-bang back into the diff (yes bag & all). It will get you home. This helps not carrying as much fluids.
X2 on Baja- silt & dust is awesome!!!! "when" you find yourself in a silt hole or soupy fog of dust- Pin it till your scared, then grab another gear!!!!

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

After my Moab trip and a proportioning valve that left me with no brakes 2 days in a row I carry various brake fittings just in case. I try to carry things that I know I won't be able to locate easily or that are specific to my Bronco. I have started carrying a spare steering box since I have a 4x4x2 box and its not a parts store item. Also think about what is available where your going, when I went to Moab the local parts stores were nearly useless.

Zip ties
Duct tape
Power Steering pump

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:11 am

Might as well just build another bronco and tow it behind for parts.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:52 am

I like to carry a little extra ice in the cooler just incase, because no one like warm Cerveza's while waiting on a parts run icon biggin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Maybe get with the other folks who are going and get a group list going, should reduce the large / expensive duplicates and spread the weight out.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Spare Parts to have
Driveshaft U joints should be all the same for the front and rear regardless of position. Steering shaft will be a lot smaller and depends on stock or aftermarket, if stock you can just look them up online, if after market I’d contact the vendor. Axle bearings are a little tricky based on which housing you have, the ‘74 big bearing housing is the odd ball. Easiest is to pull a shaft and get the ID and OD of the bearing and go from there.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Made a quick call to Wild Horses (ended up ordering a new lower driveshaft from them while I was on the phone oops ). They told me that the bearings for my axles are the Set20 bearings. I went ahead and ordered a couple from Amazon. I am going to make a call to Tom Woods Drifeshaft to order a couple of 1310 U Joints. They are only $20 and if the driveshaft gets damaged due to a failure at the joint, he will warranty it if you were using his "gold seal joints."

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spicer is a good brand and their 1310's have several part numbers. Depending on if you want a grease zirk and where you want it. I carry one that has no grease zirk in the hopes that it is stronger.

You'll want to carry one for the drive shafts and one for the axle shafts (perhaps they are the same?)

Someone bringing the hub socket? I know that gets into "tools" and not "parts".

Are you running lockers? Anything special there?

Tire plugs? TFI module?

I need to reacquaint myself with my ammo can filled with spares again. I have taken some engine oil, a gallon of gear oil, antifreeze, power steering fluid & brake fluid. Usually one of those ends up spilling in my ammo can...But it seems best to carry new/unopened containers.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]