[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - ...More Engine Questions...
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 ...More Engine Questions... 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post ...More Engine Questions...
So in my quest to find a used, decent running 289 or 302 engine, I was wondering what years of 351 Windsor engine would also work as a bolt-in replacement?

This is for my 1968 bronco that will eventually have a C4 automatic behind it.

Only 60s and 70s or can I go into the 80s?

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post ...More Engine Questions...
All the way until production stopped. All 351 Windsor’s have SBF bell housings and are 28oz imbalance. Quick search results looks like it was produced until 2001, late 1994 and up blocks should be roller blocks, block code F4TE.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: ...More Engine Questions...
OK that’s good to know, so what you’re saying is I can take ANY engine from ANY year up to about 1993 and use it in my bronco???
I can take the EFI set up off of later engines and put my intake and carb on it and it will just work??? What about electronics and computers and wiring connections and stuff like that?

Please feel free to dumb it down for me, what year engines 289,302 and 351 would be plug-and-play?

ie:
https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/6366358352.html

Sorry if these are dumb questions, yes I am that dumb when it comes to this!

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

As Kirk sad-- any 351W will bolt on to the Bronco regardless of year. The 94 and up are more desirable because they are roller blocks so the cam and lifters are hydraulic rollers instead of the flat tappet. You get a little bit more power out of those.

You should be able to take the EFI stuff off but you will have to get a 351W intake. The 351 is a little wider so the 302 intake will not work. Everything else should bolt back on. There are 2 front dress 351 mounting brackets that you will need (https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product ... ering-pump) to attach power steering pump and alternator. I think I have them you can have. If you don't have power steering, you only need 1.

Pretty much the only plug and play is to get a 289 or 302 that was carburated. If you find a 302 that is EFI, you can just use all of the stuff on your current motor. If you step up to 351W you will need a new intake and those brackets to make the front dress work.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Kirk & Mike!
Just what I needed! I appreciate you taking the time to put all it down for me!

I’m going to try and stay in the 289/302 lane!

But you never know!??

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Keep in mind that many 351W engines just like most 289 and 302 engines came with front sump oil pans, so you will usually need a different one and different oil pickup even if it comes with one.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You might consider looking for an Explorer 5.0. You can flip your manifold and carb on to it easily enough and those engines tend to run for a long time. You can find them somewhat easily enough. Just a thought.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thank You!
Both good to keep in mind!!!

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]