[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Where to start with troubleshooting turn signals
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Where to start with troubleshooting turn signals 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Where to start with troubleshooting turn signals
I need to double check, but I believe the bulbs are good, but only half the blinkers work on my rig at opposite corners.

You have to hold the switch in one direction and it works intermittently (on the dash and outside) and the other direction seems to flash every time and auto-cancel correctly, but just one bulb.

I have my fuel tank out now, so if there is a wiring issue, then now is the time to address that.

I was just going to start by replacing the switch, but wow! $80 for a manual trans version. Rockauto has one for $50 for a bronco.

One issue is, I don't have any idea what the steering column is from. There is a shifter collar on it, but I don't know if that is for a manual or auto. It *could* be stock??

The bolt hole was filled with a bolt and another on the opposite side. The other side bolt is sheared off, and in an attemp to extract it, I broke my one left-handed extractor... But it appears I need to access the switch by removing the steering wheel?

Thanks for any help and direction!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Where to start with troubleshooting turn signals
That's not a stock column. You need to remove the wheel to get to the switch. It may have a part number that gives you a good clue about its origin.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ok. Guess I'll see if I can find a steering wheel puller on loan. With any luck, whatever I have might be cheaper!!

Thanks!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like it’s a tilt column? Is the key on the column as well? If not it’s likely a 78-79 F or E series column if it still has a rag joint. Get a pic of the wiring connection.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I do not believe it to be a tilt column, or at least that function doesn't work...

There is no key hole on the column, so perhaps you are correct. I used to have a rag joint, but that is something I replaced with a normal u-joint.

I hope to get in there today and I'll post pics along the way.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I muscled the steering wheel off (not too hard this time) and could not find any numbers to help me, but I did find out that it is indeed a tilt steering wheel and with the shifting collar, must be from an Auto. Searching google images, it appears that I do have the 78-79 F and E series column. Agree?

How do I go about verifying it's function? I'd MUCH rather buy the repair kit if I can!

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The turn signal handle moves up and down for Lt and Rt turn signals correct?

If you Pull it towards you...Does the wheel tilt?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have tried that in the past with no luck. I appear to be missing some parts as the assembly is a bit too loose to transfer any movement to the arm with the teeth on it. But since I know now what needs to happen, I can probably adjust it with a screwdriver.

As to the signal, it appears that someone has put the repair kit on it in the past as there are two wires that appear to have been soldered and the covered in liquid elec. tape. Bu pushing on these wires, I could get my dash blinkers to work intermittently, but after messing with these wires for a while, I can no longer seem to get them to work at all. I tried jumping wires to bypass the bad spot and I must not be doing it right, or just need more hands to hold wires in place.

The part number I need appears be to D8TZ-13341-A, which Rock Auto has for $69. A repair kit is $10.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I used a repair kit in the past from the local parts store and it was junk, so the replacement piece will likely be the way to go. The tilt actually engages by pushing the turn signal lever away from the wheel.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

May-be replace the hole column and then you know what you are working on.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I suppose that if I want to drive this thing in the street a ticket for not having working signals will exceed the $82 for the part that could get it fixed. The rest is likely just wiring and bulbs if an issue persists.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I called Shee Mar, a Longmont co. and spoke with a guy there who got me going in the right direction. He says I need the SM61F for the 78-79 truck. The 50 series has a different mounting pattern, so I couldn't get by cheaper. Anyway he also said rockauto was the best price, to which I confirmed (brand says OE pro).

It's on it's way and I hope to get some garage time after Christmas!

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

JD, it is indeed a tilt column from a 78/9 F150, so that would be the correct replacement part. The bolt you took out of one side and the thing you broke on the other side are the things that allow it to pivot, you push the signal switch away from you to make it tilt.

The correct pivots look like a threaded, screw in plug, similar to what guys put in the back of 351W heads to block the air ports on a smogged engine (but smaller). That crack in the bottom might be an issue as well, can't really tell from the pic.
HTH, Joe

'81 Coachman Caper XL MH, 4WD, EFI 460/ZF/BW1356, D44/Sterling, 4.10s/35s, under const...
'83 Bronco, D60/Sterling, 5.13/ARBs, MAF EFI 351W/ZF/BW1356, 37" MT/Rs.
'12 Buggy, HPD60, Hi-9, 4.10s, Explorer 5.0, Atlas 4-speed, my chassis, EB skins.
And the latest project is a '99 Ranger Extra-Cab, custom frame/tube work, on 40s...

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

All good news! Thanks Joe! I'll have non-colorblind help after Christmas, so that'll be the time to tackle that!

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

With the help of my son, we converted colors to numbers and I labeled all the new wires accordingly. Plugged it in and...nothing. Urgh! So I call Shee-Mar and the guy there said to check the flasher. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and I hear ticking...hmm. Victory! I wonder if this wasn't my issue all along??? O-well got a new turn signal switch out of it and after troubleshooting one front light connection, they are all working! Now I am not so obviously illegal.

Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So I lost my blinkers again. None of them work. E-flashers work with both my old and new flasher. The signals worked intermittently, and it seemed I could move the flasher and they would work again for that trip out. Recently that stopped working. I unplugged the connector from the e-flasher switch and made sure it was making a good connection there.

What part should I throw at it now? Could it be the switch mounted behind the e-flasher knob? Strange that they will all work, but not independently.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Clean the rust from the fuse box clips.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Voltmeter may say it's good but it really won't draw enough current to see the problem there. Don't trust it.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So you are certainly onto something here. Found the turn signal fuse. Pulled it out and it was not only broken, but blown. Into town to get another 14A fuse. Replace it in the parking lot and nothing changes. But a small little round wire brush and clean out the contacts better and viola! It works! Awesome! But on the drive home, the new fuse blows! So I have a short somewhere. Guess I need to get better at tracing wires, but it may be a project that waits until my garage cools to below 85* in the fall!

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Pull the fuse box out and look at the connections on the backside, likely corrosion there as well.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Where are they typically mounted? Mine has been hanging down from under the dash since I bought it. I'll look, but nothing caught my eye the first time.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The early years, maybe until ‘68 they were on the firewall, later years they were in the glovebox. I say check the back side because we had a similar problem with TFB’s fuse box, corroded on the fuse side clips and the wire connections on the back.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

LOL - well I don't run a glove box, so that must be why it just hangs!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's a picture of the back side. It doesn't look great, but does not appear to be shorting out on anything. Perhaps arcing?

What are my options to fix this? The one with the yellow collar is the turn signal circuit.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Left arm out window ?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]