[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Removing lower steering shaft
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Removing lower steering shaft 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Removing lower steering shaft
Does anyone here have the magic instructions on how to remove the lower steering shaft on a '74. I've taken all the bolts off the rag joint and the bolt on the lower u-joint that connects to the gearbox, but it's going no where!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Removing lower steering shaft
Garsh Darn Chevy Parts!!!!!

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You should be able to pull up to clear the rag joint end and then try to pry open the area a little bit that the lower bolt was clamping down. After that, try to either pull and hit the lower section with a dead blow or take a skinny pry bar and start to work the lower section out off the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I ended up unbolting the gearbox and it gave me enough room to slip the shaft off. Those studs on the rag joint are too long to let it just slip by, and they don't come out. Stupid design! Now I need to get the upper rag joint off the shaft -- but that's gonna wait until tomorrow!

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you're going to put a collapsible lower shaft in you need to remove the flange on the upper shaft. It is splined to the upper shaft and is also peened on the end. It's going to be difficult to remove. Might have to grind the peened end of the flange to get it to the point where it can removed with a puller. Try not to damage the splines because you'll need those for the new u-joint.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:04 pm

I had to pull my column and cut the mount off. Didnt cut all the way through but got it close and just smacked it with a punch.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, I tried soaking in penetrating oil over night and then put a puller on it and tapped with a hammer. It's ON there! I guess I'm waiting for reinforcements to arrive for this project. I'm not going to drop the column without some help (and someone that knows that they're doing). This is been one of the most frustrating projects I've done on these stupid old trucks! bangtard

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I can give you a hand, text me and we’ll set up a time.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, this sob isn’t going down without a fight - but I’ve got it on the run. 5 dremel cutting blades later... off to HD for more blades because it won’t budge from here. Image

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Removing lower steering shaft
You may consider throwing a torch at it to heat it up and then tap on that right side to see if it’ll separate itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:42 am

I also had to cut that bevel off the shaft to fit the new lower on it.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

From the looks of it the splines are still mushroomed out on the end, you’re going to need to trim a little off.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:35 pm

I used a TBP lower shaft and it had some very good instructions on how to do this. Did yours not come with any?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My old boss was taught in the navy to soak it in coke-a-cola
then some rum
and a bronco with a warm fuzzy feeling

Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Victory! I did get a little too deep on one cut, but it doesn’t look like the spline is really hurt. New shaft should arrive today, and hopefully the instructions will tell me how to deal with the end of the shaft. My wife made me promise to stay out of the shop while the family is in town, but what I do when everyone is still in bed shouldn’t count, right? Image

Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ImageImage Family left, so I’m allowed back in the shop.
New gearbox and steering shaft in place! Thanks for the tips and encouragement! This job really isn’t possible without a good dremel!

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks really nice!! You should notice a firmer steering!

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I put a tack weld on each side of the joint. Easy to remove, and those set screws made me a little nervous. I've heard horror stories about them coming loose.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

x2 I had my lower shaft come off the steering box. Luckily I was only going maybe 25 mph and a rock pile and wooden fence broke my fall. Scary stuff when you realize your wheel is still spinning but no turning is happening

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]