[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - What goes here?
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 What goes here? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post What goes here?
I’ve got a brand new oil leak, and it appears to be coming from this spot on the pan. What the heck is this? Looks like something is missing? Image

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:00 pm

Post Re: What goes here?
oil drain back from the turbo you need to mount up to that.

Sorry no real help.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

FWIW- ive got 2) 460's. One with a plug similar to yours that takes an inverted flare oil dipstick tube and my other 460 has dipstick through the timing cover.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I believe that is the spot for an oil level sensor or something like that that came on Mustang engines. I think there's one on the pan that I got with the F1SE motor I have.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My 4.0L had that too. It's for an oil level sensor.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Do you guys know if it unscrews? Or is something supposed to be in that hole? It seems like the oil might be coming out of the hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think what you're looking at is the plug. It obviously doesn't have the sensor, hence the no wires. It looks like it's leaking around the plug. I believe you can remove that plug and re-seal it. Maybe a crush washer would work? Since you probably won't ever have that sensor, it may make sense to silicone that thing shut. Probably do it around oil change time when you drain the oil.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Having been unsuccessful at finding an oil pan for my 351 that did not have a port for the dipstick, I ended up having to cut out the port and weld a patch panel in it's place.

What happens when you put a wrench on it and try to tighten it a bit? If that doesn't work, then maybe you can investigate it further with the next oil change.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I decided it’s the perfect time for an oil change! This thing won’t pull out all the way because of the headers. I’m going to reinstall with some thread sealant once I clean it up, but it looks to me like there is something that plugs into that center hole, and it’s missing. The ImageImagecenter hole in the fitting is where it looks like the oil is coming from. This leak just started, so maybe whatever was there came out?

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dang -- It's expensive

And the cure is;

Now I just need to figure out how to get the old one out without dropping the headers!

Looks like this is what goes into that center part of the sensor. This is what must have come out of mine.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cut it, put a shorty bolt back i it with a seal/sealant.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, just match the threads with some sort of plug and RTV silicon the threads good. Just make sure you let the RTV set overnight before you put oil back in the pan. Looks like a rubber seal there under the flat portion of the sensor. What's under that? You might not need RTV?

Or see if you can find a dummy sensor from a junkyard/ebay?? That would get you by.

If you can't get it out, I would bet all you need to do is loosen the header bolts. But sometimes that is the hardest part! An alternative is to cut the sensor most the way thru being careful not to get metal in the pan, and then once you can bend the sensor a little, it would probably come out all the way.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I got it out - used a set of pliers to persuade it to bend a little, and worked it out. I felt better doing this once I saw what the part looked like inside the pan. I’m going back with one of the bypass bolts I posted in one of the links above. It’s a funky grooved hole, and the bolt also comes with a new rubber gasket. I swear, even the simplest projects turn in to ordeals with this one! Lol.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good work! Just don't forget the oil now!

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That a great idea that 1 he taught you that and 2 you listened.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I will do the oil on steering wheel also

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Changed out the oil drain plug while I was at it because the monkeys at grease monkey had it half stripped. Check the box on another annoyance project. Even small victories like this get me one step close to Baja Image

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Glad you got it sorted out! Just the words Grease Monkey and Oil change give me the creeps!!

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]