[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - serp swap questions
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 serp swap questions 

Post serp swap questions
The time has come for my serpentine swap. Most of my searches net me something about the Explorer parts and that's just not my cup o' tea. I have some parts leftover from my old fox body Mustang that I'd like to consider.

What I've got leftover:
Fan, fan clutch (near new), water pump pulley, crank pulley, alternator pulley, alternator bracket, and tensioner....all OEM from '84 5.0

What I'm considering for the swap:
P/S pulley from early 90s E150 (because they used the Saginaw with a serp belt)- http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 56&jsn=475
Aftermarket alternator bracket- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-2002/overview/
Reverse flow water pump w/ passenger side dump- https://bcbroncos.com/shop/cooling/wate ... ly-bronco/

Here are my questions:
1. Has anyone ever used an alternator bracket like this? I've never been a big fan of that OEM tensioner. But I've also never used a turnbuckle for tension on a serp belt.
2. Regarding the water pump, would this water pump require a different front cover?
3. Also regarding the water pump, it seems that reverse flow with a passenger side dump is a bit of a rarity. Are there any others out there besides the BC unit that I'm just not finding?

Please and thank you in advance for the help. I'm certain I've left something out so fire away with any questions.

1992 GMC Bread Van - wife's food truck...
2003 Suzuki SV1000- GSXR fork,Danmoto cans,carbon fiber fender, lots of stuff painted black
1980 CB750 cafe- GSXR fork,K&N,CBR coil packs,Chappell customs seat,MAC 4/1 exhaust

Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Post Re: serp swap questions
I'd recommend not running a turn buckle tensioner. A spring tensioner is designed to have some give to it and a good one will provide the proper tension to the belt with out slippage. I have seen many broken cranks over the years in the terminator cobra world from guys running the solid tensioners on the blower belts.

As for water pump you'll need to look at the depth of it. Ford small blocks had many different lengths on the water pumps to line up. Your best bet is to call BC's and ask if it would work for your application. I do believe if you go with a standard mustang serp water pump it does require a timing chain cover change.

As for the explorer set-up it is a lot more compact set-up and shorter too. Allowing more room for a fan and clutch. If you want the Sag pump with explorer serp WH makes a kit for just that. Eck has it on his bronco. I have no issues with the explorer pump running hydroboost and PS turning 35's.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:09 am

Good advice, Zoso. Thank you!

2003 Suzuki SV1000- GSXR fork,Danmoto cans,carbon fiber fender, lots of stuff painted black
1980 CB750 cafe- GSXR fork,K&N,CBR coil packs,Chappell customs seat,MAC 4/1 exhaust

Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Jonny,
I have a complete explorer SERP setup in a box in my shop. I know that you said that you aren’t interested in Explorer setup, but with the work and the sourcing that you’re setting yourself up for with the mustang options, I just wanted you to know that I’d be happy to sell you a complete explorer setup if you want. You’ll need to get a power steering hose and change out the timing cover. Sourcing a crank pulley to match your flywheel balance is easy and you know it’ll all work well. You don’t have to worry about which way the waterpump spins, or fabbing up a bunch of stuff to make sure it will physically fit under the hood and give you enough space before the radiator. Anyway, you’ll have a good time with this project but I’m happy to help streamline your path if you want to take a different route. Let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Mitchell...it was good to meet you at the last breakfast and thank you again for the offer!!!

I ended up using the alternator bracket from my old fox body with a new tensioner. Wrapped it up (sort of) today and we're mobile once again. I've got one little leak on the bolts on the back side of the Saginaw and then I'll post up some pictures.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Johnny,
I just now saw this message. It was great to meet you at that Bronco Breakfast as well! Great group of guys and gals, for sure. I'm glad you gut the setup working. Now onto the next project on the rig eh? Mine is still coming along but it always surprises me how a truck that is running under it's own power can still need 100 hours if tinkering. Fun stuff... as long as I don't go crazy along the way.

Fri May 11, 2018 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]