[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Screwed! ...or at least Bolted
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Screwed! ...or at least Bolted 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Screwed! ...or at least Bolted
I was taking off all the front dress v-belt set up on my engine to get it ready for the serpentine swap and there is a bolt that had been previously broken off near one of the water ports.

I was able to use a small drill bit at first then a larger drill bit without problem. Then I finally got to use my handy-dandy easy out .... snap!
Now what!!!???

I have tried using tiny drill bit’s around the side of the easy out breaking three of them. I have tried using a couple of small Dremel grinders and I’ve made a tiny bit of headway, and I have tried using small chisels to hammer and break it up, all to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 02, 2018 8:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Screwed! ...or at least Bolted
Maybe keep stepping drill bits up until you get closer to a thin wall of bolt left. Then you can use a larger rescue out or chip away at the thin wall left.

After that, I’d re-Tap the threads and then use anti seize on those bolts when you re-install.

Or- drill a bigger hole so you can use a larger rescue. If possible, also hit it with some heat right before you try to back it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed May 02, 2018 8:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The hardened easy out is what is broken off, stuck inside the bored out bolt.

Wed May 02, 2018 10:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Get a 1/4 carbide center cutting 4 flute endmill and put it in an air die grinder. It will be 20-30bucks but it will cut right though the easy out and everything else then you can drill it/retap it. Hard part is staying centered but it can be done with patience. Did this on Willy's exhaust manifold bolt and worked great

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wed May 02, 2018 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the advice Mike and David...
I saw the Carbide...then passed because of what you said exactly...$20ea.

Ok, I'll try that this afternoon! Still better to pay $20 than to have to load it all up and take it to a shop!

Thu May 03, 2018 8:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

A set of reverse drill bits?

Heat first tho.

Thu May 03, 2018 9:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you have anything hardened, like a drill bit, broken off in the hole don’t follow up with a like hardened tool. You’ll just break that as well, at this point it’s time to invest in some more expensive items, carbide and die grinder.

Thu May 03, 2018 10:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Carbide will cut it.

Take your time. Rushing will make it worse. Take breaks if needed.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Thu May 03, 2018 11:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Seems to be a theme here!!! CARBIDE it is!
Gracias!

Thu May 03, 2018 11:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Screwed! ...or at least Bolted
If you are able to stay centered and slowly size the hole up near the threads you will be able to pick the remains of the bolt out and chase it with a tap.

Thu May 03, 2018 11:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So everything I read prior to asking you guys said to chip it apart because its SOOOOO BRITTLE!!!
BS...
Well all I seemed to do is pack it in there as deep as possible and now I’m stuck with the arduous task of trying to grind it out!!!

I’m making progress, slooooooowwwwwly.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 03, 2018 9:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For next time - before you try an easy-out, I have had great luck with reverse drill bits. Usually I don't get too far in before the bolt just backs out on it's own.

Let us know how you come out!

Fri May 04, 2018 7:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

17 days laaaaaaaterrrrr... multiple, Multiple attempts.

Success

Sat May 19, 2018 7:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]