[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Any 4Runner owners out there?
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Any 4Runner owners out there? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Any 4Runner owners out there?
So I posted this on the 4Runner forum I've been part of for 14+ years and they don't have a clue. Thought maybe getting some Bronco eyes on it wouldn't hurt.

Video of the issue is at the top. It's not throwing any codes. I'm about to grudgingly take it to Toyota.

Any help is appreciated.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Any 4Runner owners out there?
Have you checked for fuel and spark. I've seen with some of the BMW's I work with that the engine control module gets damaged when people get the re connection of the battery incorrect.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds like a faulty sensor not allowing it to start. I would start with temp sensors.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:59 am

This is a long shot, but I have a Tundra with a K&N filter after changing a battery (optima) it wouldn't start sounded just like yours and I took the battery back it all checked good. removed the air filter and it started?? cleaned the K&N filter reinstalled and it worked. I never understood it but its been fine for years now.

I also had a 93 Toyota PU that would cut out randomly for no reason like the power switch was shut off, I would pull over and it would restart after several minutes, it took awhile to find but it was the EFI relay I guess when it got warm it would loose contact ? changed it and never had a issue. Is there a similar relay in the box you can swap?

Last edited by Strike2 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd start with swapping the important relays with the less important relays. There is a chance that when it grounded it burned the contacts in the important relays(they would have energized as soon as the battery connected as just a self check). Inj. relay with wiper relay, ign. relay with headlight relay, etc. My guess is that, after extended cranking, they finally make contact enough to fire up and run but as soon as you shut it down they go back to a burned contact situation causing the issue again.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Like crawler is saying check your main engine & injection relays for power & ground.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys. All good ideas. Today it got a bit weirder... Just now I was able to get it started...barely. This time I decided to drive it. I noticed that it was gutless along the entire power band so I kept driving. Little by little it got stronger, soon it felt more like normal. Shut it down, and it started right up again. Tried this a few times, started right up. Waited 20 min, started right up again.

I'm not 100% in the clear yet but my theory is that when I grounded the positive terminal, I completely wiped out all the ECU's learnt data. So it has to re-learn everything from scratch.

Test will be tomorrow morning when I try to start it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

found your answer:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think it’s fixed. Drove all around today and not one problem starting.

1970 w/Injected 427W

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]