[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Ford 9 Inch Wheel Bearing Questions
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Ford 9 Inch Wheel Bearing Questions 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Ford 9 Inch Wheel Bearing Questions
Due to my recent rear brake lock-up incident, I think I cooked a wheel bearing. I see a good amount of oil or grease or something leaking out from behind the retainer and the bearing is getting pretty warm during normal driving. Much warmer than the other side so I think I'm going to do the bearings and seals.

I guess I'm a little confused about the process for doing this. My axle is a large bearing. Do I need any special tools to pull the bearings/seals besides a seal puller? I know the bearings and retainers have to be pressed off/on. Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop on the south side of Denver that would do that? I don't have room for a press unfortunately and I'd rather not risk marring the axle cutting off the old collar. How do those bearings get lubricated? Grease or gear oil from the diff? There seems to be some debate about that. From my research it looks like diff->seal->collar->bearing->retainer->wheel so I guess that would mean they have to be greased. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Ford 9 Inch Wheel Bearing Questions
You remove the axle by unbolting the retainer plate that is bolted to the axle flange through the brake backing plate. Simply rotate the axle so that the hole in the axle flange lines up with the nut so you can remove it and move on to the other 3.

An OEM bearing gets kubricated from the gear oil in the axle tube. Same oil lubricating the differential. Some people replace the OEM bearing with a sealed for life bearing which has grease in it.

If you want a great shop on south side try Town Center Auto which is in highlands ranch / Littleton. South of 470 west of Santa Fe behind Orielly. Ask for Don.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys. So aftermarket tapered bearings, which seem to be the better option, eliminate the seal behind the bearing? Is there a front seal for either bearing type that sits between the axle retainer plate and the bearing? Sorry just trying to get a handle on what this process is like before I tear the Bronco apart...again.

Also, I'll check out Town Center Auto. Thanks!

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes the tapered bearing uses a seal between the bearing and the retainer. You also need to remove the original seal in the tube so the bearing gets oil.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great I think I'm going to that route.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but since he has a '66 he probably has a small bearing rear axle. I think he has to utilize the sealed bearing with the outer seals.

*Edit* Nevermind...I just noticed he said he had a large bearing. Don't mind me, I guess I can't read. banghead

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The heavy duty axle was available even on the early '66 roadsters. Casadejohnson has one on his.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Me too!

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah it's for sure large bearing. 11 inch brake drum and I can see the larger bearing housing where the axle housing meets the backing plate.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm in Lakewood and have a press.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Justin! I called the Bronco Hut today and sounds like Melissa has some bearings in stock and she said they will press them on if we bring the axles down (awesome customer service!) so I'm gonna head down there as soon as I pull the axles, but if something doesn't work out, I might hit you up.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:59 pm

THEREs a guy who works in Englewood who presses wheel Bearings for $20 I have his number. call me if you want 720-409-7913

When I rebuilt my rear diff, I cut off the bearings with a die grinder. The first one’s a lil’ scary because you’ve never done it before . After that it’s no biggie. Just like building a POSI unit and diff.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]