[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Another sheared Left Spring centering pin
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Another sheared Left Spring centering pin 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Another sheared Left Spring centering pin
I think I have maybe 4 wheeling trips on this centering pin in my leaf pack. It's also the same passenger side pin. I am 95% it's sheared, although I have not taken the pack apart to confirm. The angle of the head and the vibrations I was feeling the last time I drove it indicate the axle isn't centered where it needs to be.

So what can I do? I know these pins are pretty soft for some reason, so do I get a long grade 8 both and round off the head?

I have the u-bolts tightened down pretty darn tight.

Open to suggestions short of 4-link...

Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Another sheared Left Spring centering pin
Yes, grade 8 and upsize, the older the spring pack the smaller diameter the bolt will be. My old JD springs were only 5/16, Willem’s newer WH pack had 7/16, so I drilled my pack out to fit the larger size.

Additionally, I upsized both Broncos to the largest U bolts and used the monster U bolt plates, this allows 125 ft/lbs of torque on the pack.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Another sheared Left Spring centering pin
Well alrighty then. Guess I'll take the pack apart and see the hole ID.

Thanks!

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mine from Tom's were 3/8". So went to my local ranch supply and picked up a couple grade 8 x 3.5"L and will try that.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Something just isn't quite right here:

I just can't quite put my finger on it:

(Please tell me the pictures are loaded)

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

the pictures loaded, what size ubolts are you running? I kept shredding my centering pins (i think 3-4) until i took out the shims, cut off the perches and re-welded them for the correct pinon angle. haven't had an issue since. I am running the wildhorse or ruff stuff HD spring plates and 5/8? ubolts as well..

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I could use to beef up the spring plate and u-bolts. They are 1/2" with a 3/8" flat plate, I think. I'd like to do what you did someday.

I don't like running the shim either. But I do have plans one day to push the rear axle back so I don't want to "re-perch" it just yet.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

you also might want to look into anti wrap system if you don't already have some thing in place.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have been contemplating something like that as well. But my redesign in the future may include a 4-link. Although I am leaning toward just moving the whole leaf spring system rearward to keep it all simple. I'll cross that bridge later.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Been driving the bronco around and the vibration is again gone! So if you feel a vibration that appears to have a higher rpm than the wheels, check your leaf spring centering pin. If that axle isn't square, it'll force your driveshaft to extend and collapse on every rotation.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]