[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - I SWEAR, I was on my way to the club breakfast
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 I SWEAR, I was on my way to the club breakfast 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post I SWEAR, I was on my way to the club breakfast
I worked hard Friday getting things done, then got up even earlier than normal to do more Saturday morning. About 5:30 I figured I had given myself enough time to get the rest done after I got back.

Headed North on I-25. I hate driving the freeway in the Bronco. It feels unstable as I'm going that fast and so many cars tailgating me trying to get me to go yet faster. I got back off in Monument to gas up and decided to take 105 instead.

The sun was just peeking over the horizon as I reached Perry park. It was a magnificent orange sunrise really bringing out the autumn colors. As I drove on, I saw a road I've always wondered about. Dakan road. I once turned up it on my Motorcycle hoping to discover a lonely winding paved road through the mountains, but its only paved a couple miles.

I figured I had time to drive up a ways and still get back to the breakfast....

Anyway, 2 hours later I came back down with a huge grin on my face and starving for breakfast.

Sorry.

Stopped at a prepared campside beside the road. I now know I was on Hidden Valley Road.

A little bit washboardy, but very nice. Certainly would take a minivan on this roadImage

Hard to get a picture really showing the steepness or the bumps. But there were many diaganol bumps across the road. Probably to control erosion and prevent road cars from driving it.

A steep trail with a bit of erosion

While descending I heard a loud thump, then the unmistakable sound of metal being drug through gravel. I got out expecting to find a busted drive shaft, but instead found the bolts had shaken loose on my bumper and it had dropped

It was still bolted on one side and was just long enough that the tire had rolled over the end. I couldn't get at the bolt and I couldn't pull the end back past the tire, so I employed the handyman's jack.

Then removed the bumper. I was so relieved it wasn't anything major that I didn't care that it bent up the front of the frame a bit.

Coming back down Dakan road

Looking West.

Last edited by ClayJ on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: I SWEAR, I was on my way to the club breakfast
just lay that bumper down on the concrete (bent side up) and drive over it to straighten it up

all in a day's fun

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

lmao

I agree with Zillacon, although we got a load of things out of the way for CCB I would have traded places with you in a second!

We'll see you next time.

Billie

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's where I finally decided to turn around. Looks like I could easily have gotten to Rampart Range Road and come back via Mt Herman road, but that probably would have added an hour or more. Even with my bumper incident I was back in plenty of time.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=39.27 ... 48966&z=15

On a side note, I'm really not worried about being embarassed by things like a fallen bumper. I have FAR more embarassing things in my life.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've been on that trail a few times in my 4Runner. It's beautiful and not that difficult. You're right in that it does connect up to Rampart Range...and from there you can really get anywhere....back down Mt. Herman is a good trip but does take a while. Last year we were up there in late fall and actually couldn't make it all the way up as rain had created some serious "moguls" along skinny stretch. I'd would have needed a bigger lift and tires in the 4Runner to make it.

This would be a great trail for a club run with family members.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

dang thats beautiful up there, you took 105? where exactly do you turn off? when i went to denver for christmas i took my eb up 105 to littelton from monument. i love driving 105.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You turn West on Dakan Road about 5 Miles North of Perry Park.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=39.3 ... 37723&z=15

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]