[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - June 2nd Steering Tech Class
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 June 2nd Steering Tech Class 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post June 2nd Steering Tech Class
Great Tech Day and here is a quick write up with a few pics . . .

Arrived at Brian's house Saturday Morning to a clean garage, fridge full of cold pop, tons of tools, 2-Boxes of Parts from Ruff Stuff, and 48' of Pipe ready to be installed on our Broncos.

Got started the Knucker Over conversion on Kinder's Bronco then moved to Vipers, Brianut, 76FordBronco, and 14 hours later - ended the day with mine. Rox Crusher and Horseman left with complete welded kits that will get installed shortly. Each truck had challenges with fitment issues, but with ingenuity, great tools, and smart mechanics, each truck left steering better than it arrived. Everyone took turns drilling, welding, grinding, sanding, painting, reaming, prepping, measuring, cutting, cleaning, adjusting, tightening, etc. Nice when you have guys that have welded for years, tons of mechanical experience, and great tools. Had to make a run for drill bit, cut off wheels, and miscellaneous parts.

Dabanker made an amazing lunch with grilled Johnsonville Brats, sauerkraut, watermellon, brownies, etc., picked up pizza for dinner, and calculated our bills. Everyone worked hard, helped each-other out, joked around, and made the day a ton of fun. The HUGE rain storm did not stop progress and luckily did not shut off the power. The day ended around 10:30 PM with a celebratory brew with a toast the club and our hosts.

Ruff Stuff Specialties in California totally came through with top of the line parts, arrived on time, Bronco club discount price, with Beanies’ and Stickers for each steering system. They are a true class act and really appreciate their help in getting the parts on time and complete order.

Big thanks to Justin for leading the build by getting us started and lending his experience. He stayed for the better part of the morning and really helped get things setup, moving, and was a TON of help. We would have ordered a ton of extra pipe - so a big thanks for keeping the project costs down.

Thanks to 777Mechanic for providing his reamer and spending a big part of his day off helping out. Thanks to JTSBronc for sharing some much needed tools. Thanks to Kerapsak for help out and making a run to Depot - hope the class gets him excited to get working on his Bronco.

Look for a Part Two of the build for install of the other 2 steering systems and track bar risers. Rox Crusher’s needs front wheel spacers and Horseman’s was un-drivable to Brian's due to ball joint issues. Hopefully they will post up when they are ready to install their systems and we can lend a hand. Most guys need to add a track bar riser to get full steering and proper angles, but already a big improvement over the stock system. I had a great drive home with my new steering. My old system was shot with 2 of the 3 joints that needed to be replaced and was complete garbage.

The members of this club are amazing to come together, complete such a big project, and make it so much fun. Such a big improvement to our Broncos and couldn't have done it without the Club.

Special Thanks to Brianut and DaBanker for being such great hosts, providing the perfect venue for the event, generosity, excellent food, tools, etc. and apologies for the mess :).

http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l61 ... =slideshow

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: June 2nd Steering Tech Class
I really want to thank and acknowledge everybody involved in putting this together and participating..............especially Briannut and DaBanker as they did an spectacular job hosting the event !

Thanks again !

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It was a great time and all my neighbors seemed cool about everyone being in the hood. Bronco is a bit tighter but I think I need a new Steering box too, still have a lot of slop but oh well I now have a stout TRO steering setup

Dabanker and I were happy to host and glad everyone seemed to get what they needed done, and stayed fed and hydrated.
Heck we even got bonus work done and got Justins twin stick shifters heated and bent for him.

Thanks to Mike, 76fordBronco, for going the extra miles to get another 7/8 bit/kit for us. He graciously donated it to me for offering up my garage and tools but it is a CCB Kit as far as I am concerned so if needed here it is http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-si ... t-527.html. just let me know and it will get to you.

I will make sure I get another 7/8 bit to JTS to replace the one that got a wobble in it.

Dabanker says we need to do that more often, even though we were there all day it is still faster than when I do things by myself LOL

maybe we need a fender cutting party soon...guess that doesnt help anyone but me and maybe Chad.

Speaking of Chad, big thanks to him for doing a lot of leg work and research on what we needed for parts.
Also that dang guy keeping with his typical bling, got the ultra light version system ...he just had to be different
icon biggin

we were able to cut tubing for 6 T style trucks and 2 inverted Y and had exactly 21" extra.

I am going to write up some info from my notes of the exact lengths used so if anyone in the future needs it, it will be favailable.

I have some pictures and will get those loaded up in a day or 2

edit: Almost forgot, Is it Dwarf or Midget?

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wanted to pass along a couple of part numbers that I used to finish off my steering upgrade. Steering shaft lower u-joint napa part # P861, I believe this fits 73-75 PS shafts, I'd recommend you take your old u-joint in for comparison. I found new u-bolts to reattach the steering stabilizer at Fastenal, part # 1174635 (3/8 -16x1" SS), they were a little bigger than what I was looking for but they fit the best out of all the u-bolts they had. I welded a small plate across the lower thiner portion of the bracket to set the bolt holes wider, then flattened out the metal on the other set and re-drilled them wider, so far so good.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For those of you who aren't DIY inclined, there is also this option:

http://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/1.5-Tube- ... /4154/4156

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Justin - that is exactly what I am looking for - I am going to order one, anyone else want one?

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:14 pm
I made one from a piece of angle iron. Not quite as pretty but it works.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd be interested. Shipping for one is $9, which is idiotic.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Justin, I am with you...............9 for shipping is a deal killer

otherwise I would join in

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Anybody have the part number for the threaded weld in bung we used ?

I am converting my steering to use 78/79 knuckles which means I have to shorten the tie rod by cutting one end off and welding in a new bung.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dont have the part number but you should be able to get it (left or right hand threads) from Partsmike.com

Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ballistic fab and Ruff stuff also carry them. I got mine from High Country. They had them in stock for something like $12 each.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

funny enough i have to do this conversion.. just got all my stuff to do it! when is the next tech day next week?

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That could work, I can host, who else wants to bring parts or just help or hang?

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I might be able to make it. I'm on call for work, it'd depend on the needs and day.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Are you guys talking about another tech day for the TRO or the full meal deal (converting to 78/79 knuckles) ?

The reason I ask is when I do mine I need to correct a major camber issue I have and I really don't know how to measure and figure out how to install the camber shims

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We could do a steering tech day. Rox, do you have front end alignment #'s to start from and do you have camber shims that are adjustable by degree? Most shops will give you a free alignment check if you ask & give you the print out.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Try Firestone.

I just need to do the tre flip weld on wh riser.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gotcha, don't see a problem with getting both trucks done, sounds like both rigs could use a check when done.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

When is this happening?

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm open Mon - Thu, somebody with a job needs to suggest a day & time.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd be able to open my schedule up for one of those days. Maybe thur?

Only thing i dont have are the tre sleeves. So might have to order them

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I know High County carries them if you don't want to order. I suspect American Rock Rods and some of the other local fab shops/builders would have them as well.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The tapered inserts for the knuckles to fit larger tres? If so that would be cool as shipping sucks for such a small part.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry, I thought you meant the ends for the tube. Are you talking about the inserts that you drill a straight hole through the knuckle and then the sleeves make the taper, or something like these inserts?

http://www.ok4wd.com/flipkitinstall.pdf

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next