[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Hydroboost Tech Day 12-8-12
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hydroboost Tech Day 12-8-12 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Hydroboost Tech Day 12-8-12
We've got a date nailed down for the Hydroboost power brake tech day. What we need now is a head count. Kinder and I are installing hydroboost in our rigs and we're planning to help knock out as many more as can get done. Anyone who wants to attend and learn how to do the swap is also welcome to come and hang out, turn wrenches, hold lights, eat lunch, poke fun etc. I'm also hoping to get a small group buy put together for the main parts needed for the conversion.

Please RSVP sooner rather than later if you're hoping to install hydroboost at the tech day, as the level of participation is going to partially dictate where we do this. Please also let me know if you want parts (the mounting plate and parts for rebuildable hoses), as I'll need to start talking to vendors pretty soon to get the parts in time. Obviously, participation in the tech day isn't mandatory for the group buy, but I'll need to get money from you by 11-10-12 if you're not planning to attend.

Also, I don't have a 3/8-16 or -24 die. Does one of you have one we can borrow?

Where: My house in Lakewood. I'll PM those who have stated they are coming with the address.
When: 12-8-12 at 9:00a

Here are a couple of writeups on the conversion:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4700
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showth ... p?t=175818
http://www.emotoman.com/4x4/hydroboost/ ... .html-This one is more complex than the Astro swap, but you'll get the idea.

Parts needed:
Hydroboost unit from a '90-'94 Astro-about $20 at Pick n Pull, or $100ish from parts stores.
Mounting Plate: $40 from locofomocoracing.com or $50 from BC Broncos. I've got the Loco one and it's nice. I'll cheerfully call Liam and get a group rate for anyone that wants one.
High Pressure hose x2 and adapters: I'm using rebuildable hoses and 6AN fittings from Emerick and Hill, will be happy to put out feelers about a quantity discount on this as well. See the first link for sizes.
Low Pressure hose and adapter barb for your PS box-Parts store
Master Cylinder: The Astro one will work for disc/disc setups, a late 70's Corvette is also supposed to work. A parts store M/C for a '78 Camaro will work well for the Disc/Drum crowd.
Brake Lines: Parts store. We'll need to bend'em up custom. Good news is that it's pretty easy, they're cheap and I've got a bender.
Bronco MC Push Rod
3/8" Brass "T" Connection
Hose clamps
3/8-16 or 3/8-24 thread by 1.5" coupler nut

Optional:
Proportioning valve
Power steering cooler

Hope to see you all there!

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Hydroboost Tech Day and Group Buy 11-10-12
Justin, put me down for hoses and fittings, iw ill need for the wifes ride eventually. I hope to be coaching in the champ football game that day, and if not I will bring my bronc to it and show my install for reference

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You guys have an uncanny ability to schedule these events on the weekends I already have stuff planned haha. Sadly i'll have to miss this one. I really want to do this upgrade at some point.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think I have some 3/8" taps at home. Lemme check tonight. If I have one I'd be glad to bring it.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I will be attending - to learn how to do this, what is needed and to lend a hand. It is my intention to install hydroboost brakes on Wilma when I get that for.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:04 am

Too far away to participate on the day but would love to get some hoses for my setup. Take lots of pics!

Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Anyone doing this who is running a mustang 5.0 EFI intake plenum like myself?
It crowds the MC as it is but I am very interested in participating on the 10th, my thought is the mounting bracket would need to be wedged to direct the booster and MC away from the intake plenum.

73', 302 w/EFI, C4, locked frt-rr, 5:13, 6"WH springs, 3" body, 35"MTR, 6pt cage.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Update: The event will be at my house in Lakewood. If you're coming, please PM me and I'll shoot you the address. Those of you who have already replied I'll get it to you in the next day or two.

jim, I'm not sure if it will fit or not. Locofomoco racing makes a kit that allows you to turn the HB unit 90 degrees, which may give you the needed clearance.

http://www.locofomocoracing.com/page2.html

I'm planning to call Liam about a group buy soon and can ask about it if you want.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for posting that link, looks like it squeaks by, I think i may have to come up with an angled plate to avoid the washer shims, they would get me going anyway.

I am not sure if I have time to collect the parts right now but I do want to see if I can find the time to come down and watch/assist poke for your installs. I will PM ya in a week if I can make it.

73', 302 w/EFI, C4, locked frt-rr, 5:13, 6"WH springs, 3" body, 35"MTR, 6pt cage.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds good, hope you can make it!

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Group buy for the Locofomoco Racing Hydroboost plate (and everything else they make) is posted up in the Members-only Vendors Special section. Riley is giving us a great deal, so take a look:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4751

If you aren't a member and want in on this, please connect with a mod or admin and we can get you set up!

So far I've only got a couple of people who have expressed interest in getting group rates for the hoses, so I'm not going to pursue that further unless more people come forward.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Justin,

I haven't done this one, but if anyone is using the Astro m/c I'm wondering if they will need adapters to change the brake lines from sae to metric. My Mustang m/c set up used a metric bubble flare.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hmmm, good thought. I wasn't able to track down much info online, but I'm assuming we'll need some. I'll hit up Emerick and Hill, they've got about every fitting known to humanity.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My local Carquest & Napa both have metric x sae adapters.

Hboost is awesome! Be carefull the first time you hit the brakes, you might hit your face on the steering wheel.

Some things I'll add from my experience:

I had to use a vacuum bleeder to pull all the air from my p/s system. I kept cranking the steering from lock to lock and it never bled through. Once the fluid foams you need to stop running the pump & let things settle.

Rear most brake line output (closest to firewall) on all (I've been told) M/C is for the front brakes.

I'm using the T return into my P/S pump and it works fine, just locate the T as close to the pump as possible and route the line correctly through the T.

I read from someone on CB.com NOT to add a cooler unless you are experiencing problems. Adding a cooler can cause its own problems. Start without one and only add one if needed.

My original system w/ F150 front disk brakes w/74 drum rears, w/Mustang M/C (disk/disk) caused too much rear bias- a common problem using a disk/disk m/c. I switched to T-bird calipers and it pulled my bias forward. Or you can add an adjustable prop valve to the rear brakes and "turn" them down a bit. You don't need both, I'll be pulling my prop valve someday, as it is fully open.

Bench bleed your m/c. Best/easiest way to start bleeding the brakes is gravity feeding, then moving to traditional 2-man bleeding. Don't pump up the brakes when bleeding, just apply the brakes, and bleed. All that pumping breaks the bubbles up and makes it harder to get them out. Buy brake fluid by the gallon, and get 2x what you think you need.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Kirk got called out of town this weekend, so we're going to have to postpone this at least a week. I'll post up with the new date when we've got one.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We're back on! This has been re-set for 12/8/12 at my place. 9:00am. PM me if you're coming and I'll shoot you my address.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey Justin, you might want to change the title to the thread so it represents the corrected date.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good thought. Anyone know how to do that?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

On your original post click edit in the top right corner. Changing the title of the thread can only be done in the original post, by the original poster, Moderator, or Admin.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Hydroboost Tech Day 12-8-12
Thanks! You would think as a mod that I'd know that.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If I were to offer up an additional Astro HB unit for a conversion would that be enough to entice the lurkers out of the shadows....

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wait. You mean you have an extra hydroboost unit AND you're going to teach someone how to put it in? Craziness.

I'm going to show up just as an example of how NOT to do an hydroboost install.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm half tempted to do it and I just put a brand new pb booster in mine. The biggest thing keeping me from being there is I would have to duct tape a lawn chare into my ride to get it there!

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thats a great offer on a great upgrade. I love my h-boost. I'm going to try to figure how to h-boost my 39 Plymouth.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Justin and I swung by Emrick & Hill today for parts, super nice dudes behind the counter, scored some sweet fittings to make the build turn out pretty. The hoses will easily be the nicest parts on my bronco, I promise not to use duct tape!

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey, just a quick bump and a reminder that this is coming up this Saturday. An RSVP is appreciated but not mandatory. Just want to know how much chili to make...no open flames in my garage after lunch, please.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm wanting to attend this one but I'm not 100% sure it's going to jive with my social coordinators weekend plans. I have done the Astroboost a few times so I may even have something constructive to offer.

Justin, shoot me a Message with your address so know where the hell I'm going.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next