[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 4 speed toploader, shift tower conversion w/ D20 adapter fee
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 4 speed toploader, shift tower conversion w/ D20 adapter fee 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post 4 speed toploader, shift tower conversion w/ D20 adapter fee
I’m getting ready to pull this out of Gunni, it’s a working trans that runs all the gears. It’s been converted to a top shift (w/ a shift tower from a T-17/18 trans if my memory is correct), and is essentially a bolt in affair after you cut a hole for the shifter to come through the trans tunnel. You’ll likely need to modify the driveshafts also, depending on how much further back it puts the D20, in Gunni it’s about an inch. It was originally in TFB when we pulled it out of the junk yard bolted to a 351w.

If you do a search online or on CB.com you’ll see quite a few opinions on this trans/conversion. So I’ll give you some 1st hand opinions from actually driving Gunni w/ this trans for almost 2 yrs now, keep in mind it’s currently bolted to a 6 cylinder 170.

First off I love it, and if I wasn’t slowly getting Gunni back to it’s near factory state I’d leave it bolted in as it’s a blast to drive. Yes the 1st gear is a little low for a Bronco, but not too low for a street rig. You can off road this trans, but w/ a 170 I just put the xfer case in low and went about having fun. Of course I do have 4.10s in Gunni, but I can still do 60+ mph on the hi-way. The shifter comes up in a good spot and I wouldn’t change its position.

The bad. I have no idea what the mileage is on this trans, the synchros still work, and I do run the correct old school oil in it.

If needed I have a V8 bell housing & clutch fork to go along with this. I’ll get some pic posted of it installed in Gunni & I may have an old pic of it uninstalled also. I’m not sure about the price yet, old threads on CB.com have side shift toploaders priced from $300-$1000, of course some are rebuilt for that price.

Let me know if there is any interest or if there are questions I can try to answer.

Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 4 speed toploader, shift tower conversion w/ D20 adapter
Just curious, this sounds like it was added to Gunni? not the trans in it when I sold it to you?

Was that one a NP435? I forget if you posted up what it was.

I'm interested in how she'll drive with the old 3 speed.

Thu May 21, 2020 1:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu May 21, 2020 3:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu May 21, 2020 3:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Back when I first bought my Bronco (like KbarS days), the toploader was the transmission upgrade to do. I could never find one...or really afford it!

Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds like a great trans for a daily driver with little or no trail/off road needs.

Thu May 21, 2020 6:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think it's a pretty durable transmission. KbarS used to put those behind 400hp 289's if I remember correctly. Waayyy more durable than the 3-speed.

Thu May 21, 2020 6:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Curious if you still have this and if you know what the gear ratios in the transmission are? It looks like there are at least several versions out there. Anyways, I might just be interested if the price is right. Thanks,
Tony

Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes, I still have it, it's still in the '66.
It should be the wide ratio trans, I'll pull the numbers from it and confirm.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th
2.78 1.93 1.36 1.00

Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

OK, thanks for the info. Let me know if you decide to sell it and how much. Thanks again.
Tony

Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I should have mentioned yesterday that I'm not too worried about the gear ratios--just not looking for anything collectible (i.e. expensive) like the close ratio tranny. I had a crazy idea that this transmission--along with a T-176 gear set swapped in would make for a nifty setup. It would end up with a 3.52 or 3.80 1st gear and the 1:1 4th gear would act as overdrive since I still have 3.50's. I might be crazy but I think my idea would work...

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great idea, the trans isn’t rare, the tower based shifter that converts it is the rare piece, that and the already modified D20 adapter. I’m definitely going to sell it as soon as I pull it out, I’ll msg you with a price.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

sold

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]