[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Welder Dilema
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Welder Dilema 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Welder Dilema
I am looking for a Welder. I have been trolling Craigslist for weeks and the used welders are either overpriced or from the Disco era - nothing against Disco Era - but want a more modern day MIG Wire Feed style.

I am doing the body work on my project and that may be it. I may or may not ever use it again so rather not have the commitment of a new one.

Anyone know of a welder for sale or rent?

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Welder Dilema
I bought my Lincoln through this site a few years ago:

Pretty damn good customer service. Fast shipping. Price was pretty good when I was shopping. I haven't compared prices lately to check and see if they are competitive.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey - I have been looking for weeks for the right welder and you save me the trouble. Should have posted this up eweeks ago. Thanks a ton for the help. Now I need to decide between the 140 and 180. I appreciate the help - that is a great site with great prices.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wasn't until I read your thread this evening that I remembered them.

I'm typically a hands on shopper. I HATE buying anything that I can't try out first.

Weldingmart.com was great though. My first Lincoln they shipped was crushed by UPS because they stacked crap on top of it. So the case and the regulator were both damaged. I called them up, told them the situation, 48 hours later I had a new Lincoln. After attempting to get them to pick up the broken welder for nearly two months, they finally told me "eh, keep it. sorry for the trouble."

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What did you do with the broken welder?

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dan did the replacement floorpan w/ the 140, a great 110 welder, I picked up the 180 but you have to wire up a 220/240v outlet if you don't have one and it makes it hard to take somewhere if they don't have the outlet so the 140 is a bit more flexible.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Traded it for an engine hoist, compressor, and die grinder.

The Terrible One

Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I bought my Lincoln Electric SP-135T MIG from that same web site a few years ago. Good prices and cheap shipping. It has done everything I've asked of it on the Bronco so far. I haven't welded any of the frame or mounts etc...but all the sheet metal etc has worked great. It shows it can do up to 1/4" but I haven't tried that yet.

I believe this is the equivalent now....

http://www.weldingmart.com/item/Lincoln ... 4?refind=1

Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I bought my Lincoln from either Lowe's or Home Depot. I got a 25% discount coupon when I moved into my house and bought a ton of stuff in one massive shopping spree.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am surprised how hard the welder thing has been. I am feeling like I should get a welder becasue of future repairs. I also had a probelm borrowing a tool, it breaking, and then buying a new tool for the friend who lent it to me. I was out all the money and no tool to show for it.

Big dilema. Thanks for the input. I am happy Depot and Lowes sell these welders so I can get wire and parts. I think I am going to order a Lincoln 140 like Airbur and Punisher.

Anyone know a good place to get a tank filled?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

General Air or Air Gas, I can't remember who I used last time, I think Dan said one was a bit better than the other, Dan?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:04 am

As for using gas on the wire feed. Here's a tip for you guys that are using a 110volt little guy. Use straight CO2 for a shielding gas. It actually causes the weld to be hotter so you can get more penetration out of a little welder. Thats all i ever use and have never had a problem. I have a 110v craftsman wirefeed that has done everything i need. Welds 1/4" plate no problem.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Perfect. I will order the welder today and get the tank this week. I am so excited to have my father-in-law here to show me how to weld. Thanks again for all of the great help guys.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just ordered the 140 and a auto darkening helmet - way excited. They are even throwing in a pair of $40.00 gloves.

How much is the tank rental and fill going to cost?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is even easier to pick-up one of yours, Dan. I will PM ya to make arrangements to come get it. Thanks man.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:56 pm

Congrats on the purchase. Im wanting to get a bigger unit. My little mig does fine and so does my arc but I want a big mig. But that will come when I have my own garage to work in.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was tempted to get the 220 V for another $130.00 but in the end, I will never use it. Plus, I can use the saved money to add a cart.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Heck Yeah!!! New Lincoln 140 Welder just got delivered! I am very impressed with WeldingMart - came 2 days early! Thanks a ton for the suggestions. The timing could not have been better - Black Friday deal was $100.00 less and no longer available at that price. Free $40.00 gloves arrive tomorrow USPS. Father in law is in tizown and going to get me started tomorrow! Fun weekend ahead! Plus, Harbor Freight Welding Cart is on sale Monday for $35.00 and Zilla has a full co/argon Tank!

Thanks guys for your help! YEEEEE-HAAAAH!

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Harbor Freight has been tempting the crap out of me lately. I went through their last circular and circled 500 bones worth of stuff I need/want. Mostly want.

The Terrible One

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for all of the help getting the right welder, cart, helmet, etc. I just got the Harbor Freight Welding Cart, 4 Rolls of Lincoln Wire, Lincoln Tip Gel, 4 Pairs of Gloves, CO/Argon Tank from Dan, Miller Helmet, and ready to start welding!

I am happy to bring it or any of my welding supplies to the January 2011 Bumper Build Tech Class.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I will bring you a pair to the Meeting - the least I can do for your help.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the offer. I mostly use a Nomex blend military flight glove now. More dexterity and flame retardant. I usually don't run long enough beads to need that much heat protection.

The Terrible One

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]