[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - How has your Bronco bitten you?
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 How has your Bronco bitten you? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post How has your Bronco bitten you?
So, a little mishap recently got me wondering about what ways your Bronco has bitten or injured you. I'm not talking scraped knuckles or broken finger nails. I'm thinking more like laid up in bed or sitting in the ER. I guess I'm just needing some verification that I'm not the only clumsy oaf out there.

Back when I was living in NC I set about on a brake job on my 1966. While bleeding the brakes, I had a bleeder valve break off. I pulled the cylinder and took it in to the garage with the intent to cut the remainder off, drill out the rest, and install a new valve. While cutting off the remainder, I broke the cut-off wheel on my Dremel. As I was already more than half way through, I decided to pry the rest off with a flat tip screwdriver. Never one to flinch is the face of danger, I didn't give a second thought to putting on safety glasses. Well, I might as well have been staring down the barrel of a loaded pellet gun as I pried TOWARDS myself with the screwdriver. Sure enough the remainder of the valve broke free and hit me square in the right eye, just barely missing my cornea. A very long night in the emergency room, accompanied by lectures from every medical professional within earshot, and everything was fine. I still have a little trouble with that eye and I have since become more left eye dominate than right.

Fast forward to Sunday. I needed to drill some new holes in my firewall and backing plate to mount my hydroboost. So, with angle drill in hand I started punching through the two layers of 11 gauge. In order to reach the spot, I stood with my feet inside the front driver's side wheel. As I drove the drill bit in to the firewall, my feet slipped out of the wheel and I crashed down on top of the fender. Add one cracked rib to the count of Bronco injuries.

So how about it. Any other funny stories of bodily injury?

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Thu May 05, 2011 2:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: How has your Bronco bitten you?
well i just got my bronco 3 days before i deployed, well i wanted to see how the years were to her so i got main tank out poof no problem it was almost empty since i was told the aux tank was broke, but i wanted to see why, i tapped a few times, just fine well it was march 2010 cold out side so i used my impact this time to hurry things along (friend just dropped it back off to me) and poof it dropped all right, right i middle of stomach bruised 2 ribs cracked one smacked my head back on concreat didnt feel to good and all the lines broke lol... it was a bad day i just cut crap loose since i was pissed n through it in back n put it in storage(before i got my house)

Thu May 05, 2011 3:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Took a chunk of solid steel spacer to the back of my hand. It ripped off a 1 inch square piece of skin so I could see my bones and ligaments. That was actually pretty cool to see as it didn't hurt until a couple hours later. Took 2 pieces of metal to the eye on 2 separate occasions while wearing safety glasses! Had my front axle housing fall on my legs, trapping me until my wife could get to the garage and jack it up. Didn't do any serious damage but certainly left me with some nice bruises. Broken a few fingers on it too but those don't count. As a note to others..... If you get something in your eye do not go to the ER. Having experienced it more than once in my life it is pointless. Find an ophthalmologist in your area and get in asap. I went in at about 1130 at night on a sunday to get metal ground out of my eye the 2nd time my bronco gave me metal to the eye. Chances are the ER will send you to one anyway.

Thu May 05, 2011 3:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

A couple months after buying my Bronco in 1995, I was installing my J/D 3.5" lift kit. I had never operated a Hi-Lift before, and did not know exactly how they worked. My friend & I were done installing the "Super Hoops" and coil springs. We had 2 Hi-Lifts, one on each side of the bumper, lowering it off the jack stands. He had lowered his side, leaving most the weight on my side. I did not have a good hold on the jack handle & when I ratcheted it down, the handle flew from my hands, hitting me square in the chin. Split me wide open, lucky to not have a broken jaw. For a second or two, I was worried I had bitten my tongue off. I don't know why that crossed my mind, but I heard my teeth crack together and that's all I could think about. I was feeling around at my tongue, asking my friend if it was ok. He was just staring at me, as blood came pouring out of my chin.

Try explaining to an ER doc, at 12:30 at night, maybe with a little beer on your breath, why you are there to get your chin stitched up. I think it was 10 stitches.

Chad

Thu May 05, 2011 5:43 pm

^^^ they call them widow makers for a reason.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu May 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Only a few minor things have bitten me. I burned my eyes welding up my extended radius arms. Probably the most pain and uncomfortable thing i have ever been through. Felt like a bunch of sand in my eyes. Couldn't open my eyes. Really sensitive to light. Had to wear sunglasses for 4 days.

Then last year I did a bone head move and dropped my rear driveshaft on my face. I was laying under it pulling it to grease it up and it slipped out my hands and smacked me right on the cheek bone. Broke my cheek bone and have me one heck of a shiner. I didnt go to the Dr for that. Felt like a hit in the face by a 10lb sledge from 4ft in the air.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu May 05, 2011 8:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu May 05, 2011 11:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mine was a piece of wire wheel in the left eye. Trip to the ER on a Sunday afternoon with the usuall scolding from the doc. I had safety glasses on at the time. That was the third time I've had trips to the ER for metal in my eyes.
Mark.

Fri May 06, 2011 7:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Before I had a Bronco I had a Jeep and was installing a lift. Had to cut and modify the exhaust and decided to use a cutoff wheel. The wheel shattered and took a nice chunk out of my arm at 15000 rpms or whatever those things turn at. Fun night at the ER but at least I was wearing eye protection.

My Personal Website -

Fri May 06, 2011 7:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]