[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Help, freeze plug removal.
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Help, freeze plug removal. 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Help, freeze plug removal.
I just found a bad leak from a freeze plug on the back of the head on my 68' Mustang 289. Do any of you guys have a trick for getting it out, without pulling the head or engine? If I could just get it out, I could put a rubber one back there for the summer. banghead

Thu May 12, 2011 8:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Help, freeze plug removal.
Yeah, I'll try theres only about 2" to work with no room for tools. I have heard of people drilling a 3/8" hole in the firewall and pulling it out and then sliding a 1/4" extension and socket through and pounding one in then plugging the hole with a plastic plug. But I wanted to get more ideas, and I dont want to drill through the fire wall really, It's to pretty.

Thu May 12, 2011 8:46 am
I'd just pull the head and fix it. The cooling system is not something you want to monkey around on with summer coming up. If you don't want to pull the head just pull the motor out. Less bolts and fewer gaskets required.

Thu May 12, 2011 8:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The rubber plug is a temporary helper fix to get you home. Ive never had to change a head soft plug in my 67 but have changed a lot of them in blocks. Getting it out isn't the problem, its getting the new one in correctly.

Thu May 12, 2011 7:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Help, freeze plug removal. DONE & DONE
Thanks everybody , I got it out and put a new one in, without pulling the head or engine. I made a 3 ft tool with a point on one side and a wobble extension on the other, and used the pointy side to remove it then the woble side with a socket to replace it. Just had to hammer from under the car and up and over the tranny. beer

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 13, 2011 4:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

P.S. It turned out the machine shop never replaced the freeze plugs in the head, and that one finnaly rotted out. The engine only has about 300 miles on it, but I pulled out a rust old freeze plug banghead But the work was done a couple hundred mi from here, and over a year ago, so what can you do. shrug

Fri May 13, 2011 4:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sooo glad that it all worked out without taking the motor out or apart. Whew. You must be livin' right or something.

Fri May 13, 2011 6:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 18, 2011 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]