[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Paint for cast
It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Paint for cast 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Paint for cast
My son lost an argument with gravity yesterday and has a broken arm. His hard cast goes on tomorrow and I'd like to custom airbrush something cool on it. Anyone know the best paint to use for something like this? I'd like it to have low VOCs, although I can put a respirator on him, fast dry time and enough durability to last 4 weeks on a busy preschooler. Ideas? Also, I'm thinking hot rod flames, but am open to ideas.

Tue May 17, 2011 6:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Paint for cast
Justin,they sell water based air brush paint at hobby lobby,comes in alot of different colors.Sharpy pens also work good plus thier cheap.If you need a cast saw I have one of those too.For some reason I have worn alot of casts in my life.JGZ

Tue May 17, 2011 6:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Be careful painting a cast as they need to breath thru the plaster and/or fiberglass. Not the best ideal to completely coat a cast. Just my medical opinion. JP

Tue May 17, 2011 8:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

JGZ, I'll check out the local hobby shop. Most of the stuff I've gotten has either been for lexan (will rub off) or enamel (really bad for little lungs). I hadn't thought of Sharpies, that may be a good option if he picks a light colored fiberglass. Heck, I ought to bring him over for some cool exotic fiberglass job. Can you do a cast in carbon fiber?

Zilla, thanks for the offer. I've got a good airbrush, but may take you up on the stencils.

Socofn, thanks for the advice. I'll check with his doc in the morning when he has it put on and make sure. I was only planning on painting the lower half, but don't want to screw things up.

Tue May 17, 2011 8:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hate to rain on the parade but a cast needs to breath so his arm does not rot off, or at least this is the way it was in the military when I put casts on daily. JP

Tue May 17, 2011 8:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hope your son is doing alright. Sharpies are a good option. The cast will be breathing out the gaps on both ends too, so I wouldn't worry too much about some paint on it. Just need to be sure whatever you use does not react with the plaster or fiberglass.

Wed May 18, 2011 11:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good news! The doc signed off on cast painting. Turns out they can now do waterproof casts as well, so he can take baths and stuff without covering it. Who knew? Now I just have to figure out what he wants on it....

Wed May 18, 2011 7:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Man carbon would be sweet.... it would be even sweeter to see the doc's face when he had to cut it off. Heck take it to the next level and mix in some yellow kevlar.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Didn't get a chance to paint the long cast, but Alex got his short cast on late last week. Got a little paint work done this evening. They're by far the worst flames ever, but given the non-smooth fiberglass, templates that wouldn't stick and the wiggly 4 year old they're good enough. Most importantly he loves them, so I'll count it as a win. Best part was getting to give him his first lesson in how to run the airbrush and letting him paint some random stuff in the garage.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

He looks pretty stoked about the situation. boardin

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Turned out so cool. Way to make an inconvenient situation better.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Best decoration I had for my cast was a garbage bag. We were on vacation in Corpus Christi and I really wanted to go in the water. Stupid asphalt chunk jumping out and making me flip my bike just before summer. banghead

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

These are the moments that make being a dad worth the hassle. Good job!

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]