[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - What's in your "on-board" tool kit?
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 What's in your "on-board" tool kit? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post What's in your "on-board" tool kit?
I know this has been covered many times over on CB.com but I'm interested to know what everyone has here in CO since we have different terrain and weather etc. I'm looking to build a kit. Thanks.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:28 am

Post Re: What's in your "on-board" tool kit?
I used to carry a lot. Gonna rebuild my mobile tool kit. The only thing special I carry is a hub wrench.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have an ammo can with a couple quarts motor oil, a quart of gear oil, gal of 50/50 antifreeze (need to replace that since i rescued a jeep on the trail), misc electrical items like fuses and spare stuff for my bronco, hose clamps, barbed fittings, fuel line, some radiator hose, hose for my ram assist, WD40, starting fluid, brake fluid, uhh, would have to look but that's about it there.

I carry a 3"x30' strap and clevis', handyman jack (hi-lift), shovel, come-along, & bucket-o-rags. Oh and a very small first aid kit.

Sadly my tool collection still fits in a smallish toolbox so I just pull it off the shelf and take it wheeling with me. It probably weights 100lbs tho, but has everything I should ever need.

I want to add a small container of misc. nuts and bolts.

I think that's about it. Generally the most prepared guy in the group. But when a situation comes up and I don't have what someone needs, I make note of it and if I could ever been in that situation, I'll add what I needed.

I usually wheel with two cousins, one a mechanic by trade and the other a rancher/farmer in his younger days. He's good at coming up with temporary fixes are finding ways to bypass stuff to get you off the trail (farmer ingenuity). Like using a green tree branch to plug the hole in my gas tank left over from breaking off a fitting. Held for weeks.

J.D.

EDIT - two spare hubs, fuel filter, fuel pump relay.

Last edited by Jesus_man on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It really depends on where I am going and who I am going with. For the fun run last weekend - we took a few tools and that is about it.

If we are going alone or with just a few folks, especially if they have little experience I load up. Time of year mans a lot too. Winter or cold weather - bringing sleeping bags and warm clothes.

Always on board: Tools and equip
Tow strap, clevis (2)
Jack and High Lift
spare tire
small socket and wrench set
screw drivers
scrapers and pry bars
V-belts
oil, gear oil and water
come along
WD-40
various nuts and bolts in a small penut butter jar
small plastic tarp (amazing how many times I have used this and what for...)
Roll of duct tape (doubles as a good cup holder on the trans hump too...)

Always on board: personal emergency
Sunglasses
gloves
hat, coat or jacket depending on weather and location
sunscreen
water (drinking)
snacks
blanket

Most of this is always in the truck. personal stuff is in a gym bag behind the seat, tools etc are in 2 tool boxes although I like the ammo can idea.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great info guys! Keep them coming.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is great info since I need to get mine ready. I have a Hi-Lift (my Father's Day Present) and a road side kit w/ tools, jumper cables, flares, etc. I am waiting to hear what else I should pack.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The ammo can works great to store your liquids because if they puncture, at least it's contained. Ask me how I know...

BTW anyone that is going to be buying tools, check these out:
http://www.amazon.com/Pass-Through-Ratc ... B0000E1OUW

No need for deep-well sockets this way and is somewhat smaller than your average ratchet. You might even get away with not having to carry a set of wrenches, but there are times you need to hold the bolt and turn the nut. Anyway, when I finally have enough tools to have a dedicated bronco box, these work well and replace a fair amount of other tools.

J.D.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I make up tool bags for every vehicle I have. The Bronco gets a bag with wrenches, sockets, allen wrenches, a couple of screw drivers, pliers, side cutters, needle nose, wire connectors, wire strippers and crimpers, flash light, utility knife, black tape, battery brush, air gauge, ball peen hammer, leather gloves, rags. All this in a 15 inch tool bag that fits under the passenger seat. I also carry a 1/2 breaker bar with an extension and a deep well socket for the lugs nuts. When I go on a trip, I also throw in a plastic battery box that has some motor oil, gear lube, fuel filter gas line and bug repellent, just in case.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I ve been in a few roll overs so it important to tie them down i use this as tool box
http://4wdnewz.blogspot.com/2011_01_09_archive.html

and i keep racheting wrenchs 6mm-21mm and electric impact wrench and impact sockets, 24v go weld
http://www.bobthewelder.com.au/product. ... uctid=1812

and plumbs duct tape, jb weld, oil, antifreeze, tarp( also you end up useing alot) change of clouths like hoodie and swim trunks if thinking bout mudding, gear lubricant incase u need to drain water that got in diffs, electrical connections flashlight, multi tool, axe, saw, shovel, trashbags, wet wipes ( for kids n wife) camel backs for each seat with 3 liter of drinking water and 6 MRE's ( meals ready to eat) and a air compressor for air tools and tires

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I carry a medium size tool bag that travels with me in both my cars whether going cross country or wheeling. I have all the possible size wrenches I could need, extra wire, hammer, light, multi meter, gloves, sockets, crescent wrench, zip ties, extra hoses of different sizes, hose clamps, assortment or wire and bolts and nuts, rachet strap (good for holding things down or resetting a tire), couple different fluids the truck may need while wheeling, extra gas can filled with fuel, change of clothes, heavy jacket for worse case, hiking boots, couple blankets, need to get an extra fuel pump (don't ask how I know, lets say it stopped when crossing a creek and had to get under there and fix it), jumper cables, on board air, high lift, tow strap, tree protector for winching, need a snatch block, shovel (I seem to forget this one a lot) u joints from old drive line, water and food, maps and the most important is my Dad. He's an old mechanic and a natural at doing odd fixes with odd tools, and seems to be able to always diagnose what the problem is. We have a rule on the trail and that is always pick up parts found on the trail such as bolts, hoses, washers and such. We throw them in the bag because we always seem to need them down the road. Thats all I got for now.

Real Estate Agent at Lorin Properties Inc.
Zen@LorinProperties.com (303) 653-1541

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]