[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - new to me boomstick!
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 new to me boomstick! 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post new to me boomstick!
$50 Western Field 20ga single shot.
rough stock, surface rust on parts of barrel, scratches on receiver.
Some would say why bother, I said why not.

started out with a 26.5" barrel and it is now 18.5".
Overall length is 33.5 inches
drilled and tapped to put the bead site back on.
derusted the barrel.

Sprayed the barrel and receiver in 2000 degree engine paint in black, then baked per instructions and polished out with silicone rag.
I couldnt't be happier in how it looks and appears to be decently tough.cheap too.

smoothed out the scratches in receiver and refinished the stock.
I did sand the stock a little to get rid of a lot of little blemishes but left some of the bigger areas to keep some of its charachter.
the stock was refinished in 1 step antique walnut stain with clear poly.
3 light coats with a 000 steel wool rub between and after the last one.

cleaned and lubed all working parts.
all in all I think for a budget project I think it turned out pretty cool.
now I just need to get out and shoot it!
I hear there's a new wabbit hunting lease down in Co Springs :gap:

showing full length and amount cut
receiver
stock
finished product

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: new to me boomstick!
Looks great - perfect for home defense with that short barrel.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks good. What better way to learn some of the finer points of 'smithing then a little refurb job like that. I have been debating whether to buy a cheap shotgun like that for home defense as well.

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fun project!

There aint no wabbits down hea...

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I want a pump-action for home defense. Just the sound of racking one would be enough to send most people running LOL

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice scattergun!

Remember shop smart, shop S-mart!

I learned how to blue or brown barrels when I was a kid. I built a Hawken Black powder kit for my step dad. I liked the brown barrel to give it an authentic rustic sort of look. That thing would knock ya on your azz with a full load! jawdrop

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]