[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Fall Colors Run and Camping Trip
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Fall Colors Run and Camping Trip 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Fall Colors Run and Camping Trip
First of all, thanks to Zillacon and MyLittlePony for setting this event up. Unfortunately I could only attend one day of this event but what a great day.

The weather was perfect and the company even better. We started heading towards Tincup Pass around 10 AM. I no sooner crossed Mirror Lake at 11,000' and Ol' Blue began to load up in the carb. We called on the radio and told everyone we had to turn back. Zillacon calls back and says just park it and we could drive their razor for the trip. (Well HELL YEAH!) So 76fordbroncogirl and I had a Razor s to drive all day. What a blast and a treat. Zillacon and Mylittlepony both took places in the passenger seats of Bill and Linda's (The owner's of American Rock Rods) Razor's. I don't know if they had as much fun as we did but they looked happy.

Gunnibronco was in his Bronco demonstrating incredible driving skills and the amazing capability of his rig. He never missed a lick and was always in sight of the Razor's no matter the terrain.

The trip took us across Tincup Pass over to St. Elmo ghost town. After a brief snack break in St, Elmo, we took off to conquer Hancock Pass. From there we went over to the Alpine Tunnel Museum. History at 12,000'! Who'da thunk it. After that it was a pleasant 20 mile or so drive back down to Tincup and Mirror Lake to retrieve Ol' Blue.

What a great day! You missed a chance to see some fantastic scenery and spend time with some great people.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:31 am

Post Re: Fall Colors Run and Camping Trip
Im jealous. I need a vacation.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks to Dan & Denise for showing me around my own backyard this weekend. I was stoked to see Mike & Laurie show up early on Saturday morning, bearing gifts, no less. Thanks again for the CB, it will come in handy and make a great loaner when I finally get mine installed. Bill and his family (and family of RZRs) were a kick in the pants. I didn't get many chances to take pics, keeping up with the RZRs took a heavy right foot, so I was in "keep up" mode, not picture mode.

Here is a link to my Photobucket album, there are few more pics there:
http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg78 ... rs%202011/

Started Saturday AM with a trip past Mirror Lake, on our way to Tin Cup Pass:

It has been 10+ years since I drove Tin Cup Pass, and I didn't remember it looking like this. Turns out Dan took us up a route he had not traversed in a truck, only on ATVs. It was tough for the RZRs and intimidating for me. But with a little direction from Dan, and a little trail damage to my rig, I made it up through. Mike paid me the biggest compliment by offering to buy my rig after seeing it climb through a narrow rock obstacle. Here is a pic from the bottom, waiting for the RZRs. I can't wait to see Dan's pics.

Top of Tin Cup Pass:

We then dropped down into St Elmo, and after a quick bite to eat, we started back up over the continental divide on Hancock Pass.

Top of Hancock:

Looking from Hancock across to the top of Tomichi Pass.

For another prospective, I was standing at the top of Tomichi Pass (right where the road crosses the pass) in March on about 10' of snow.

In this pic is almost looking right back at the top of Hancock
Picture of the valley floor below, on the way to Alpine Tunnel:

The Alpine Tunnel is the site of the first underground section of rail in the US. They used it to haul ore across the continental divide around the turn of the century. There is a nice visitor's center, and they seem to be rebuilding the site each summer. Much of the drive up to the tunnel is on the old railroad bed.

There is an amazing section of the road that was built in the 1880's, a hand stacked wall hundreds of feet long and over a hundred feet high allowing the railroad to traverse a cliff wall. I'm not sure anyone took a picture.
Here is a pic from another web site, I did not take this.

On Sunday, Dan, Denise & I took a quick morning run up Texas Creek. I saw my first Colorado moose, after living here for 16 years. It was only a butt shot, but it was cool.

A look at the Collegiate Wilderness

Dan showing off the articulation of his RZR

Final shot of my Bronco, lots of dirt, and a couple new bumps & bruises, but looking like a Bronco should at the end of an awesome weekend. Wide axles are cool, but they are getting my sweet new seats muddy:

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great pics guys! Had a great time. Thanks to Denise for taking some pics over her shoulder, I really like the pics of my truck (of course). After looking at the creek crossing pics, I think I better check my diffs & wheel bearings. Surprised my feet didn't get wet.

Chad

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Man, you guys hit the mother lode on this trip.

Wish I could have gone.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:42 pm
Looks like you guys had a good time. I was really tempted to jump in the Bronco and meet you guys up there on Sat morning.

That difficult old section of Tincup looks familiar.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Viperwolf1 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

looks like a great time. wish i could have made it.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My oh my... There is nothing better than fall in the high country. But were are the pictures of the fall colors? If you are in alpine and sub alpine zones all the time, no aspen trees to see changing.

never mind, I am just trying to console myself because I spent all weekend in the garage failing to get Drew's little pony running again... It looks like an incredible trip and next year I am going if I have to hitch a ride in the back seat of someone else's rig and sleep rolled up in a tarp on the ground.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We missed the color change by a week or so. Its hard to guess when the leaves will change, the second week of September is the rule of thumb, but this year has been a little too warm. I did see some yellow popping out in Taylor Canyon on the way home, but only in trees on the south canyon wall, the ones not getting much sunlight. I'm betting next weekend or even the weekend after, the trees around here will go. And with all the rain we are getting, the colors will be awesome.

Speaking of rain, I think we got lucky for the weekend. It rained pretty good on Gunnison last night. And today is looking pretty crappy up north of town. I know Dan had some good rain Thursday night, but otherwise we were spared.

I'll be sure to bring an extra tarp next year, I've got a real big one if you bring your family. Good luck with the wiring.

Chad

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Man, wish I could have made it. I was just on the other side of Mt. Massive and Elbert from ya! Chad, glad to hear the bronco is working well!

Thanks for sharing!

J.D.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sunnybronco cresting Hancock Peak from the St. Elmo side.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm trying to figure out if Sonny Bono has something to do with this.

Mike, I love the pic of my Bronco driving up to the Alpine Tunnel. It really puts everything in perspective. At the very far right of the pic, you can see the part of the road that was built up along the cliff side.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the pic, arrived safe & sound.

Chad

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey Dan & Mike,

I stole a few of your great pics & posted them on my Facebook page & Photobucket. I'll split the profit 50/50. Thanks for taking some nice pictures of my Bronco.

Chad

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like a heck of a trip. I was on the other side of Monarch. On Saturday I took 5 other guys on a wheeling trip in ZOSO's SD. Came across a group running a hill climb similar to the Pikes Peak hill climb. They were just off the highway outside of Garfield. What a cool time seeing those custom rigs going balls out in the last stretch to the checkered flag. Speaking of checkered flag we also got flagged in the race going down.

I noticed when we went down on the Tuesday after Labor day the trees weren't even starting to change colors in the high country. Even on the way home my gauge (top of Kenosha pass) the trees were not even showing any change. I noticed the change started on the east side coming down Kenosha pass. When wheeling Saturday I noticed more green in the tundra than brown.

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]