[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Airbur's 427W Build Thread
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Airbur's 427W Build Thread 
Post Re: Airbur's 427W Build Thread

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:54 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Didn't get much done as I'm waiting on the piston ring grinder to arrive...but I did get all the oil rings and retainers on.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:00 pm
Hey those rod beams look familiar. Did you polish them yourself?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow...they do look very similar. But no, I didn't polish them, they came that way with the stress ridges already polished out and ARP bolts.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Didn't get much accomplished today but I did get the ring-grinder delivered. Also found out that the custom cam I have has completely changed the 351W's firing order (thanks to Viper for the reminder:)) I watched the section of the engine building video on piston installation and realized that since the new rods have ARP bolts, I need to pickup some ARP Ultra-Torque lube as none came in the kit. Called all around and no one had it but O'Riley was able to order it in for pickup tomorrow.

Correction: Firing order is the same......I'm learning....slowly I tell you;)

Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Anyone ever show you the trick on where to place the oil control rings? An old timer building race cars showed me where you position the gaps on the oil rings away from the splash/sling. I had never thought about it but once you see it it'll make complete sense.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:09 pm

that is correct on the ring gaps. Start with the oil control rings.

When the crank rotates it has oil on it. It picks up oil from the pan. It is called windage. When its rotating it slings this oil all over the place. when placing the rings position them so the passenger side ring gaps are on the top side on the pistons(towards the lifter valley). The drivers side needs to be opposite. so oil rings have the gap on the bottom side. Just look at the rotation of the engine when running. picture where the oil is going. you want it away from the gap.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ah, I got it. Now I see the benefit of a windage tray also. Thanks.

Got 4 of the pistons assembled with rings. So far every single ring has needed the gap widened. That ring grinder works fast! One ring had zero gap and it only took a few turns of the wheel to get to .020. I plan on finishing the other 4 tomorrow and then installing them.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For anyone interested in what type of data a Cam Data Card contains...When I talked to Cam Research, I told them I wanted lots of low end torque with power right away.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Get a coffee can and poor some fresh oil in it. Drop the whole piston In it before you put it in the cylinder. Remember no such thing as too much oil/lube during assembly. Get a oil pump primer. Prime it when you are ready to fire it up.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

More documentation and instructions for your reading pleasure....

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I finished sizing each of the rings and installed them on the pistons. Then I pulled the caps off each, installed the bearings, cleaned and lubed them up and inserted all the pistons into the block. Each one got a little easier but it was messy with the oil and lube. I decided to use a small oil can pump to coat each piston.

Now for the bad news.....after I got the whole thing together I gave it a few turns and found that at certain points, a cap nut will come in contact with the camshaft...ish! I talked to the machine shop and also Cam Research and found that this is fairly common with the big strokers. The two options are to go to a smaller base-circle cam (which compromises it's strength) or try and shave a bit off the cap nuts to see if I can gain clearance. I'm hoping the latter works.

It's pretty slick to see all those pistons moving up and down.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

Last edited by airbur on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

More pics...

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG

Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For those interested...I've started a thread on sbftech.com regarding cam clearance.

Last edited by airbur on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Talked with CHP today. Turns out that this kit requires the use of a small circle base cam. Since I already had a custom cam made, they are going to swap out my connecting rods for H beam rods that have better clearance. Main catch is that I'll have to have everything rebalanced. Not a huge deal but will require complete disassembly.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Talked with CHP and my machine shop again today. We've decided to try and shave down the sides of the connecting rods a bit. From what CHP tells me...this is a very common practice with this kit and also the Cheby 383.

I disassembled the block today and pulled out all the pistons...a depressing project. Cleaned up all the grease and removed the bearings. Boxed them up and will take them up to SpitFire tomorrow and they'll grind them while I wait (hint....use a machine shop near your house...driving to north Denver from Castle Pines sux). If all goes right, once I re-install them they'll clear the cam.

For "fun" I attempted to mock-up the timing chain install. Turns out the cam gear hits the cam thrust plate mounting bolts. A call to CamResearch and Scott let me know that there should have been new bolts in the kit and also that I have to counter sink them into the thrust plate. So I need to go pickup a couple bolts and get that project going.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

One more pic...

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hit up the Ace Hardware stainless isle yet again. Took me a few minutes but I was able to find exactly the right bolt. Counter sunk the holes and they fit perfectly. Tested the cam gear and it slid right on...no interference.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:33 pm
Stainless bolts are not particularly strong. The ones you are replacing are grade 8.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

A &A-another ace on south broadway has by far the best selection of fastners I have found on this ends of towm. They will have the grade 8 you need.

In my opinion

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cool.....the one in Highlands Ranch that I go to has a huge selection but they didn't have the right thread for this bolt.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Found this...2nd paragraph talks about the clearance issue....but the article is incorrect stating that the rods come clearanced.

http://books.google.com/books?id=dc7z5W ... CCwQ6AEwCA

Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Took the shop about 10 minutes to grind down each rod and apply some green dye. If they still hit the cam, the dye will let me see exactly where.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next