[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Any Sled Gurus?
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 7:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Any Sled Gurus? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Any Sled Gurus?
I don't know much, but work with a couple bubbleheads. I've gone out a few times, and these guys are NOT trail riders. Dan, something tells me you aren't going to be happy just putting down a trail, and from what I've heard Denise, probably won't either. So I'd step up above a 500, but I don't think you need a huge machine. I rode my friends 700 & it was awesome. He's very a aggressive rider, but not extravagant with his gear. He can do anything/go anywhere. I think its like a 150 track. They ride bigger tracks, because they are "boondocking", more than on trails. I'll get some suggestions at work today & report back.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gunni is right! A 500 is good for limited riding at best or just ice fishing. You want something bigger, a long track and deep lugs. Jumping off the trail is way too tempting.
Be prepared to spend $$ once you get hooked.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Huh, guess if you write F I S H I N G you get characters.....

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My wife's family has always had Yamaha Mountain Max sleds then switched to Ski-Doo Summit X's about five years ago. I think the Summit X has won Snowmobile of the Year a few times but I have not done the research. I would always get the Mountain version of whatever snowmobile you choose since it can do it all and will come with the longer track.

I find that there are so few used snowmobiles for sale in Colorado that you may wanna try Utah's KSL Classifieds. Easy to find a trailer and sled combo and pull it back to Colorado in a weekend. Utah did not get snow today so it is still pre-season in Utah and may be able to really score. There are so many for sale there, they you could find the exact sleds (brand, model, year, color, etc.) and trailer you are looking for. Most Utah sleds will be Mountain versions.

Another option is to walk into a Colorado dealer and buy two of the remaining last years model since you are looking so early in the Fall. Some dealers may even have 2-year old models they are sitting on and want to blow-out but after last year's snow, there may not be any left-overs.

Some of my favorite weekends have been snowmobiling. However, I would personally rent snowmobiles for the handful of weekends that I would actually make it to the mountains. I have small kids so it is hard for me to justify storage, maintenance, insurance, gear, etc. for a few weekends a year. Kids love it, but a half day is more than enough for them and usually have just as much fun sledding. I would like to get back into when they get older.

If this year's snow is anything like last years, it may be a great time to get into snowmobiling. Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide. Either way, I would LOVE to get out this year as a CCB group if anyone knows a good rental place and the place to go.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've been kicking around renting a snowmobile this year just to try it out. Anyone have a suggestion on who to go through for a good deal on a decent machine?

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Most of my relatives live in MN and almost everyone has 2 things (well really 3 if you include skeeter spray), a snow machine and an atv. My uncle has a place just south of Duluth and he has some really great trails right outside his door. They take rides into upper Michigan at least once a yr. Check MN CL and you can probably find any type used machine made.

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Alright here is what they said at work. A typical rental/trail sled is like a 500-550 w/135ish track. I rode one of these once, and anything off the packed trail and you are really pushing to keep it on top of the snow. I was constantly digging out.They recommend a sled with a 140-150 track, minimum, and a 600 - 700. The older (late 90's/early 00's) Cat XRP (may have that wrong) and Polaris Gen 2 chassis are better for beginners than the new chassis, and can be had cheap.

Run, don't walk, away from any Polaris 900, they were a crap motor that breaks crankshafts.

Lots of Yamahas are 4 stroke, & super heavy. Most guys don't like em.

The machine I rode last year was an older Polaris Gen 2 670 (apparently a great sled) w/159 track. The current 600s & 700s would out perform it. It was a real handful for me, difficult to steer. But the owner is very tall & a good rider. That sled with a shorter track would have been perfect for me.

If you buy one, talk to me about a snowjack. There are 2 made here in Gunni, one by a friend, they are by far the best, machined from solid aluminum. I'll get his ebay/web info this afternoon.

Chad

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fun stuff. If you get a couple, schedule a weekend here. I know we could make a run up to Tomichi Pass from the bottom of Monarch Pass. We were looking right at it from the top of Hancock in September. If the snow is safe, I've been eyeing a certain slope to snowboard. Lots of cliffs/cornices. Late in March/early April, the snow gets safer, and I'll be back from Alaska, so I won't mind hanging it all out. Till my AK trip, injury free is the game plan. knock on wood

Chad

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here is the sled jack info. Its a basic friction jack, but very heavy duty. The guy in the pics getting himself unstuck is my coworker. His uncle machines & builds them himself. Great guy and a great product. There are lots of other jacks coming out, but some are plastic bodies, some use pipe for the rod. My coworkers have been using & abusing these for years and never had failures.

http://thesnowjack.com/

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I couldn't believe these things weren't included with sleds from the factory since the 70s. Simple idea, huge advantage.

Nothing like digging a sled out at 12,000'. I get claustrophobic and feel like I can't breath through the helmet. Then panic when I can't get the chin strap off with my gloves on. Good times!

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey Zillacon my brothers wife is pregnant so she is selling her sled it is a 2002 mountain cat 800 151" track. Its in great shape and has more power than you'll ever need think he wants $2500 send me a pm or call if you want pics and ussually he'll do trades also he has a website just for sledheads called teambellypan.com check it out. We also are putting on some pokerruns this winter and just trail rides also. I'll give you his # if interested he has about 30 or 40 sleds around his house mostly vintage.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]