[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Airbur's 427W Build Thread
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Airbur's 427W Build Thread 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Airbur's 427W Build Thread
Update...I installed one of the pistons to check clearance and we're still a no-go. Cam still hits the side of the rod. So instead of trucking them up to SpitFire again I decided to expand my tool collection and get a bench grinder and some layout dye. If I'm able to clearance the rods enough I'll take everything in to have it rebalanced again.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:10 pm
I'm not diggin the weakening of the bolts.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yea....me either.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's a pic of the rod I tested. You can see right where the cam hits the side of the bolt head. It's hard to see in the pic but there are 3 spots where the dye is removed....each where I had the cam at different angles.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Almost better to change cams. If you lose much strength in the bottom end it could get a whole lot more expensive than replacing the cam. My $0.025

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:24 am

Are you gonna be reving this thing to 5000+ rpm all the time? Most likely not right? so I'd change cams. for what your gonna be using this for it wont be a problem. And since its a hyd. roller cam and Im sure your gonna be running roller rockers it's gonna be noisey either way. Roller rockers clatter no matter what. A new cam is cheaper insurance than a new block and rotating assembly when one of those bolts break and send a rod out the side of the block. Just my few pennys.

And just what Dan said. When I built my 460 I put in a windage tray. I left just over a 1/4" clearance between the tray and rod bolts. When ever I would rev it up above 2800-3000 the rods would hit the tray. So things do move and stretch. I'd call CHP and ask them to send out the new rods also.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:37 am

Also a lot of the stress on the cam is making sure you have the correct valve springs. the correct height and seat pressure are very important. That will play a lot on the stress to the cam. I would hope they included what the spring specs need to be. Some springs may need to be shimmed and some may not.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I just installed the timing chain set and the one piston I know was hitting....gave it a rotation and no hits:) From what I understand, as long as the clearances are good during rotation, I'm good. From what I can feel, I think there is about 1/4" of space between the rod bolt and the cam lobe now:) I'll install the rest of the pistons again tonight and see how it goes.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You have nerves of steel.

I am nervous for you.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I installed a few more and the clearance is much less....more like around .030. I need at least .050 to feel safe. I'll need to grind each rod and check them over and over one by one until all are at least .050.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You checking the clearance with some modeling clay or something?

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Started working on it again last night and realized the little 4' old florescent fixture in my garage was just not cutting it. Installed two 8' T8 fixtures from Home Depot....man.....litterally like night and day.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Today the grinder arrived so I got to work on one of the rods. After fitting it, removing it, grinding it, fitting it, etc etc etc...about 4 times, I finally got the clearance to .050. I feel that I had to remove too much material and don't want to use them in the engine. Took a couple of pics and sent them to Eric at CHP hoping that he'll understand and at least give me a discount on a new set of I beams that take into account stroker clearances.

On a happy note I have a sweet-ass grinder now:)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The grinder.....

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have never built any HP type of engine before, only overhauls. I would not want to put that connecting rod in my engine. You took a lot of the head of the bolt mass away and I am sure it lost a shitload of clamping force. Another idea may be some ARP studs made for this? shrug

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:11 pm

atleast if they upgrade you to the H-beam rods they take bolts through the cap and into the rods. Makes for clearancing them a little easier. No bolt heads in the way. Like Shawn said I wouldnt run those. Once this issue came up I woulda switched cams long ago and been done with it. It's not a high compression, high reving, race motor so a small base circle cam should be fine.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yea....I'm learning what I "should" have done almost every day now:) But I don't mind....I knew I'd hit a lot of snags along the way.

The rods I want use that type of bolt but are actually lightweight I-Beams. The reason is because these are the exact same weight as the rods I have now. H-Beams are quite heavier.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:31 pm

I see. Those would work pretty good at what you need.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:33 pm

I'm a newbie (on this list) and have been following this thread for quite a while. Looking good. You are gonna love the torque of this monster when you're done building it... torque up the ... : )

Go with the lt wt cap screw style rods-don't go with small base circle cam you w i l l get to much flex in your cam. Keep it up, excellent write up and excellent job building your engine!

Thanks for letting a "non-Colorado) Bronco owner on your list. : ) Wheeled in your State many times... hope to get back again soon.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:46 am

Thanks! I live in the middle of Washington State, base of the Cascade Mtns.

I've been collecting parts for my 427 build for several years. Hope to build and install late this winter.

Have you decided on which EFI intake you're going to use?

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

nvr, where are you exactly? I grew up in Bothell and then moved to Bellingham.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:13 am

Re: Airbur's 427W Build Thread
Bothell? Seriously? : ) I used to harass that area regularly on weekends... ha I was born and raised in Edmonds...back when it was a po-dunk town and gas was cheap!

So you live in CO now after moving down that way from B-ham?

OK, before I totally off-topic this thread... lol

This is the Trick Flow I've been looking if I go EFI.
http://www.trickflow.com/egnsearch.asp? ... wordSearch

Not cheap but the best I've found for low and mid range torque…good up to about 6k for our cubes

TFS-51511004

Trick Flow® R-Series Intake Manifolds for Ford 351 Windsor
Intake Manifold, R-Series, EFI, Aluminum, Black Powdercoated, Multi-Port, Ford, 351W, 5.8L, 75mm, Kit

Much more than 5500 rpm and the Box plenum is the way to go.

Great site btw

I'll do my best to not drive ya nuts with questions and comments...it's because I'm doing the same build I want to hear yours running!!

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here is where I'm at with the rod debacle......new Ultralight I-Beams are on their way from Woody at FordStrokers.com. Woody orders directly from the manufacturer (which is not CHP). I chose these as they are the exact same starting weight as the rods that I have, so re-balancing shouldn't be horrible.

http://www.fordstrokers.com/connecting- ... 6-125.html

Anyone interested in doing business with Coast High Performance should IM me for my experience.

The replacement gasket set arrived from Summit. Can't accomplish much more until the new rods arrive. At that point I'll get them installed on the pistons and start checking clearances again. Once that's done, it's back to the machine shop for a complete re-balance. Turns out that CAMResearch is also a full machine shop MUCH closer to me so they'll be doing any more machine/balancing work I need done.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next