[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Airbur's 427W Build Thread
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Airbur's 427W Build Thread 

Post Re: Airbur's 427W Build Thread
Dang, it must be nice to finally be able to put the timing chain assbly on!! What compression ratio are you hunting for? Looks like 26cc or close to it, dish pistons. I'll pm you my 4R70W shifter pics, not sure I can figure out how to post pics on the forum!

Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

10.63:1 on the compression. The pistons are very close to the deck height though so may need a larger head gasket.

They are 22cc dish pistons.

Last edited by airbur on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Stock heads
C90E-D 1969-1974 351W, 60.4cc chambers, 1.84/1.54 valves
C9OE-B 1969-1974 351W, 60.4cc chambers, 1.84/1.54 valves

10.59:1 is what I came up with guessing on your deck clearance

4.030" bore x 4.170"
.040" compr head gasket
4.050" gasket vol.
22cc dish
stock C90E head

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Haven't had a chance to run the #s but I am going with 185/58 AFRs, 2.02/1.6.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's what I come up with....

Last edited by airbur on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Isn't the head gasket thickness and head gasket bore switched in that screen shot?

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:03 am

A premium only motor huh?

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

yep....that was expected.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:13 am

Do you have the 58 cc heads already? Comp or emissions legal? The 185 comp heads flow within 6 cfm or so of the 205's and for our application (according to AFR techs) they will still have the same port velocity at low-mid range rpm for max torque. I'm planning on going with the #1383's. You can mill .006" for every cc on that head to dial in your compression ratio.

lot's of options...they just all take away from beer and cookin

back to the shop...

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So I did some figuring, and with my current 58cc heads here's the new calculation. I also did it with those larger heads and the compression dropped to 9.26....how would that affect power?

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/CompRatioCalc.html

I ordered the timing cover and water pump today.

Last edited by airbur on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

20% off the order plus a $50 gift card:)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... nt=general

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... nt=general

Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Dang purdy looking...Exploder front dress?

I did some head milling figures and if you cut the 72cc heads to 64 then you'd drop to 9.95:1 compr. I haven't talked to the AFR tech guys about milling that much off, but taking them to 66cc wasn't an issue. They'll mill them at their factory for $100

Not sure I'd bump up the compressed gasket thickness much. It will really affect your quench if you get too high. That will also affect your cyl burn and timing, etc.
You don't lose much hp by reducing your CR. Performance Trends Engine Analyzer thinks when raising the compression ratio from 9 to 10, it thinks that HP will increase by appr 3.8% and torque improve by 2%. If I was going for ET's, that'd be one thing.

Just my .02, but try to get the compr ratio down to a number you can run on pump gas anyway. With all the power you'll have under the hood, you aren't going to notice 18HP difference! : )

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the info. I thought I had this figured out....but I don't. Found a great article on compression and pump gas....

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/engine ... ewall.html

Pretty technical but just how I like it.

When you say that AFR will mill the heads for $100 at their factory....does that mean you would send them in to AFR? Or would you buy them direct? Their prices are horrendous compared to the dealers (summit etc).

Just found a bit more info...from the AFR catalog on the #1383s.....(http://www.airflowresearch.com/27-31.pdf)

Angle Mill (10cc Maximum Optional Mill)-----------------------------------.008” per cc
Flat Mill (4cc Maximum Optional Mill)--------------------------------------.006” per cc

So that tells me we could get-er down to 62cc with an angle mill. At 63cc, that puts me at 10.03:1....I still need to recheck piston to deck height.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok, so here's my latest calculations. I measured the piston to deck height at lunch and came up with an average of .009...talk about "zero decking" :). With that # and including milling the heads down to 64cc.....that puts me right at 10.06:1 compression.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

now we're talking

HP and reliability !

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:20 pm

You'll like these numbers a lot better! Every time you fill up!

Guys all the time talk about having to run max compression or your motor will be a dog...yeah, "a dog motor" at 9.8:1 compression only cranks out 500+ HP and 500+ft lbs of torque... : ) let me walk that dog!!! All on pump gas....nice...

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm going to talk with Scott at MPG Head Service and see if he can do the AFR milling...he's local and is the one that build my cam.

http://www.mpgheads.com

Last night I went through all my research on the bolts needed for the Explorer serpentine, water pump, and timing cover. I went to Ace and they didn't have any of the odd lengths so I did up an order with Fastenal. They have everything except the one 5/16-18x3/16 bolt so I'm going to try a 1/4.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:28 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So here is the new timing cover I got from AdvanceAuto...it's a Dorman model. Crap.....guess it's off to the junkyard again.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The new timing cover (ATP brand) and water pump arrived today. Both in perfect condition. Waiting on the bolts for the serpentine and also the windage tray and bolts.

http://www.amazon.com/ATP-103039-Timing ... 426&sr=8-1

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:56 pm

...still waiting... boardin

: )

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:41 am

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You learn good Grasshopper.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:58 am

A full compression point drop- let's say 10:1 to 9:1 is appr 3% or so drop. At 500hp/500ftlbs torque (goal for most streetable 427 SBF stroker builders) you're not losing much for OUR uses... different story for ET's on the strip, you can't give up any of either.

An axle spline, axle eater is what he's building. icon biggin I don't know if Eric's locked solid front and rear but if he is, parts will twist... :)

I'm up to 35 spline alloys with pro-nodular Strange 9" now. I've twisted everything else off... burnout

save some $$ for upgrades :)

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The axles are stock:) I plan to get this thing installed and then see what blows up (axle-wise). Then upgrade as necessary:)

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got some parts in today. Scoop, timing pointer, oil pump bolts.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next