[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Airbur's 427W Build Thread
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Airbur's 427W Build Thread 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Airbur's 427W Build Thread
Got the Fastenal order in today. Here is what I ordered. This encompasses all the bolts and washers necessary for the Explorer serpentine brackets, timing cover, water pump, and one of the pulleys. These are to mount everthing to the block....I already had the bolts to mount the alt/power steering pump etc. to the brackets.

I ordered a few extra lock-washers.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Little more progress:) Timing chain installed and torqued. Gasket surfaces cleaned and sealer applied, then gasket. Also applied sealer to timing cover and both water pump surfaces. It's lucky the new pump came with a gasket as the one in the kit was not for the reverse flow unit.

My Fastenal bolt order worked perfectly...the only mistake I made was to order 2 5/16 x 2 instead of 4 of them. One more trip to Ace.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Two more. I got all the lifters lubed up and installed along with the new spider. Then I realized they'd probably fall out if I flip the block over so will need to be careful.

Got all the Explorer Serpentine parts disassembled....there was power steering fluid (goo) everywhere by the time I was done. What is the best way to clean up the brackets? Sandblast...soda blast? I will need to get a new alternator but not sure on the power steering pump.

Also got the oil pump installed with the driveshaft. I may have to remove that though when the windage tray arrives.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:57 pm
I wouldn't blast the pump. Simple green and hot water works good on the reservoir.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow, your getting close and nice meticulous work. Did your cam from Cam Research come with lifters broke in already? They can do that you know. I agree with Phil, that P/S pump housing is somewhat brittle and cleaning it with simple green (or Dawn because it softens your hands as you do the partses) and water is the best. I would also recommend a small amount of friction modifier in that pump when your ready to fire it up. It helps keep the noise down.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Last edited by airbur on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I found this while looking for timing pointers:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-63490

$$$ but sweet:)

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Droped the serpentine brackets off at BlastTech today. Cancelled my order for the windage try as it hadn't shipping in 3 weeks. I stopped by MPG heads on my way home from BlastTech and their trays were at the plater...will pick one of their kits up on Wednesday. Ordered the timing pointer and a harmonic dampener installation tool.

http://www.mpgheads.com/black_max.php (sale right now for $79 and that includes the hardware)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055H ... 00_details

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-918948

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:33 pm

With the 5.8 serp setup you will have a tough time mounting a decent sized reservoir next to the pump. I wanted a filter and the extra return line for hydroboost. Check PSC's out...

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehicle-s ... rsion.html

It's a tight fit clearance-wise under the hood but it clears.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:08 am

I updated to that hi-volume pump and reservoir a couple years back, W/H and PSC now sells that pump for Broncos . I bought that pump/reservoir before either were selling it to EB owners. Now they have a kit and all the mounting bugs worked out. Huge volume which is needed for quick response for ram steering (at least ram steering with street manners).

Yes it fits serp on 351W with the Exploder front dress 'cause that's what I've got.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:37 am

How do you post on this site?? Photobucket work?

I'll send you the pic if that's OK and have you post it...I'll try posting later tonight unless all you need is photobucket. Yes, the pump mounts on the stock bracket with some notching...ez

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:41 pm

I believe you cant post attachments unless your a ccb member. Yes photobucket will work.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you have a domain and storage...you can use that to host them. That's how I do it.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Let's

IMG_3248.JPG

try this... :)

My coil's just laying there...I'm in the middle of a few mod's...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by nvrstuk on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:16 pm

It worked!! : )

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got the harmonic dampener installed at lunch today. Having the right tool made it soooo easy. Torqued the ARP bolt down 90 ft lbs and then re centered the engine at TDC.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:08 pm

You're needing to order heads ... try Matt at High Flow
M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)
sales@highflowfuel.com
AIM: HighFlowFuel

I've shopped for a long time and Matt is the best price I've found. Let me know (pm) what he's charging ya then we can see if he'll drop the price a few bucks for 2 sets. icon biggin If interested, call him right away as I'm dealing on a used set tomorrow. 185's w/72cc

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:09 am

That's right, you breathe thin air all the time don't you?!! I used to have some charts to help figure compression ratio with air density index factors...somewhere... (I'm a pretty hard core 2stroke snowmobiler and altitude makes a serious impact on power numbers)...I'll check.

I'll pm ya on heads later this afternoon.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Picked up the windage tray today. Scott added even more welds (after it was plated) to beef up the tray because he knew this is a 427:)

Just like everything in my engine building-life, it doesn't clear. First it hit the oil pump which was to be expected. After I "fixed" that I found that the damn connecting rod bolts hit it! So I decided to see how much more height I needed and put all the tray nuts on the bolts and set the tray on top of them. They up the height about 5/16" and everything cleared perfectly.

I'm not sure the best way to work this so I'll call Scott tomorrow and see what he thinks. There may be slightly higher main studs we can use that will lift the tray up a bit.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Thats the reason I pulled the one out of my 460. When I put it together I had about 1/4 - 3/8" clearance between the tray and the rod bolts. Once I'd start to wrap out the motor above 2500 rpm it would hit the bolts.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:32 pm
You want the scraper to be close to the crank weights. That may need modified with it sitting further down. Also make sure the pan fits with the tray installed. I had to modify my tray a little to fit my aluminum pan.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:36 pm

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next