[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Replacing head gasket fun...
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Replacing head gasket fun... 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Replacing head gasket fun...
So since I've taken a break from the 427 build for a bit, I thought I'd work on some "cheaper" projects and # one on the list was the leaky head gaskets on my OEM '70 302. For 42 years old and 110K miles, it's running ok...but it spits black crap and water out the exhaust, smells like gas, and leaks all over the block.

So last weekend I dove into it and tore it all apart. I had to remove the air cleaner, carb, intake manifold, power steering bracket, alternator bracket, all the hoses, and exhaust manifolds. That got me to the heads. First lesson was it's probably a good idea to put it up on stands and drain out all the coolant I could....when you crack the seal on the heads....all the extra coolant runs out...all over everything...including into the cylinders.

After removing the heads I realized I couldn't just put them back on again (well I could but you know). So after some research on re-manufactured heads from the local parts shops, I dropped them off with Scott at MPG Heads in Englewood. He's going to clean them up and rebuild including valve seats for unleaded gas. I also dropped off the intake manifold...he's going to hot tank it and reseal the plate on the underside.

I spent a good couple hours cleaning up the block and mating surfaces where the heads go. There was quite a lot of crap from the leakage.

Turns out that most of the gaskets I got in the kit for the 427 that I'm not going to be using will work fine on the 302. Scott said it will take about 10 days for turn around on the heads so I'm really at a stand still right now.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Replacing head gasket fun...
If you dont mind me asking, what is it going to cost to get the heads and manifold done? iam doing the exact same thing here soon and will be refreshing the stock 302. However seeing how i dont have 427 to swap in eventually I was contemplating beefing the 302 up a bit with new heads, cam etc etc...

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

$280 total. But I don't think that includes any "extras" they may find when they tear them down. Also, keep your eyes on Craigslist. There are 2 rebuilt sets on there now for $125! Both are sold already.

Manifold is $60 to crack open and hot tank.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

cool deal, iam on there everyday.. entertaining the thought of upgrading the heads since iam going to have the engine out and tore down... we will see, still working on cleaning the damn body panels.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would suggest new valve springs if your not doing them in your plan.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Where does the gasket go for the carb? Between the manifold and spacer or spacer and carb?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:10 am

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:44 pm

If you're looking for "stock" heads (not aftermarket), '69 and '70 stock heads flow the best till you get up to the GT 40 series... make sure the early head's seats are changed out to hardened seats

Get these early heads ported and they do flow quite well.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the info. I'm having the heads rebuilt...same shop that did my cam and the windage tray. They should be done next week sometime. I'll slap a coat of paint on them and re-install.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spent a few hours today degreasing all the bolts, rockers, pushrods, and nuts. That crap was caked on there. I had saved the gallon of carb cleaner I bought for that rebuild and used it. Did a pretty good job on everything. I did notice that there is some wear on the rockers where the pushrod seats. After looking up prices on replacement units...$10 each!....I decided to just use the old ones. The lifters are in amazingly good condition as are the pushrods.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Since you pulled the lifters did you note which cylinder they came from? Need to match them back to the original lobe they were on.

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yea...I only pulled 2 of them so far and am keeping track.

Found a new supplier for Mustang/Bronco engine parts since no one around here carries the right water inlet elbow. http://www.restoremustangs.com They have everything and decent prices/shipping also. I ordered the elbow, a new temp sending unit, and a new pvc grommet for the valve covers.

Last edited by airbur on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm so happy your doing this. Keep it updated as I'm doing the exact same thing and have never tackled this portion of a build.

Since I'm leaving this engine in would I be best to go ahead and replace the rockers and other bits? Going to take the heads in to get looked etc.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Made a little more progress. I pulled the lower hose from the radiator and drained out all the rest of the coolant (do that first!). Cleaned up the mess then checked over all the lifters, cleaned them up, re-oiled and re-installed. Stopped by Ace and picked up a 3/8s plug for the intake manifold's rear vacuum port that I'm no longer using.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Heres a pic of the intake parts I'm replacing....heater inlet elbow, temp sender, an using a plug for the vacuum port.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Couple parts from Orielly.....had to order in a new thermostat and 1 more carb gasket.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Called to check on my heads today and Scott was putting the finishing touches on them. Turns out they were in good condition...all the valves were good and I decided to reuse the springs also. Should be able to pick them up tomorrow :)

Yesterday I picked up some more coolant along with a new thermostat. I also picked up some Seafoam to run through the engine after I get it all back together.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not to hijack but I have my old heads of my 71 if somebody wants them.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Picked up the heads.....they are purdy:)

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Little paint.....

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Heads on and thread sealing...

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

your making good progress

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next