[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Tablets - learn me up!
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Tablets - learn me up! 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Tablets - learn me up!
Started a thread on CO4x4 as well, but learn me up. I want something mainly to entertain my 2yr old son in confined areas (airplane), but also to watch movies, surf the net, play some games, read a little (mainly children's books). Looking for bang for the buck. Seems the easy answer is ipad, but they are much more expensive than most of the others.

What should I be looking for? ports, onboard storage size, etc?

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Tablets - learn me up!
iPad 2 is likely going to drop in price today, but my 2.5 yo son LOVES his iPod Touch. Can load music, movies, games, etc. The best part is the game apps are free or .99 Cents. I can get you a list of the games he loves but there are so many games and so many possibilities. We drive and fly back and forth to Utah often and it is a life saver. iPod Touch is one of the smartest things I have bought my son for fun and learning games.

I have an iPad 2, wife an iPad 3 (when they come out), and kids have iPod Touches. iTunes App/Game purchases can go on all of the devises for one price.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My how things have changed in just the last 10-15 years. My boys still have their game boys and dozens of games. They both had CD walkman's and for long road trips we had a video player that hung over the seat of the car for them to watch movies on...

Now they have I-phones, are constantly texting (I am not sure why they have actual "phones" they rarely if ever talk on them) if they are not the ones behind the wheel chauffeuring mom and dad....

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Chad - your post is what prompted me to start the research. Someone on CO4x4 said they were going to be selling their Ipad2, in near perfect condition for around $200. Is that money wisely spent or should I get a new tablet? Don't want to spend much more than that if possible o whatever I decide.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've got an Android tablet by Samsung and love it. I don't think they're quite as user friendly as the Ipad, but my 4 year old can run it just fine. He's equally happy playing with my smartphone, so the bigger screen doesn't seem to make a difference to him. If cost is an issue, I'd take a serious look at the Android stuff-much of it is really good and a chunk less $$ than the Ipad. I use mine for movies, web surfing, email, surfing Craigslist and reading e-books. Both my phone and tablet have 8GB on onboard memory with another 16GB from an SD card. I've never had problems with running out of memory and it'll hold 10-15 movies if I reformat them. I haven't really found a use for additional ports with the things I use it for.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My wife has an Amazon Kindle Fire. The Kindle has lots of free books for you, can do what a lot of the lower end tablets can do but isn't in the class of the iPads or comparable tablets. My wife wanted it mainly for reading books, but it does have quite a few games that you can put on it. It is also based similarly on the Android platform, but just doesn't do what Android specific ones do. It also surfs the web, etc. and so forth. But for a few bucks more, you might look into the Barnes & Noble Nook or wait until the Kindle Fire 2 comes out. From what I understand, both are quite a bit better than the original Fire. The one big draw back to the Kindle is that it is tied to an Amazon account with "one touch" buying ability unless you log out of your account on the device its self. That is my big complaint. Other than that, I like it, but I think I'd like an iPad better.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Apple is continueing to sell the iPad 2 at $399 and remans are $349. If you have the opportunity to buy an iPad for anything less, that is a great idea.

Here are a few observations. First, an iPod touch is small and can go anywhere (car, shopping cart, airplane, waiting for a table at a restaurant, etc.) and therefore taken everywhere. However, I would never let my kid take my iPad into a restaurant waiting room. Loosing/breaking a $200 iPod would suck, but loosing/breaking a $500+ iPad is a kick in the nuts. Like Hockey said, his kids had Game Boys and they were/are awesome. The new small game systems are cool, but $30-40 games suck. If you loose your iPod/iPad, your games, setting, etc. are saved on your computer, so you are not out anything except the replacement cost of the unit. Heck, with the Apple GPS recoery feature, you may find the lost unit as well.

Easy solution is buy the iPad 2 for the family knowing that it will just be used at home, car, airplane, especially for $200.00. I have not seen/heard of anyone ready to dump their iPad 2's for that price - Amazon is offering $320.00 in Amazon gift card for trading in used iPad 2's (used on anything on Amazon.com), so a $200 iPad is a sweet deal.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I agree on the iPad if you can get one for $200 go for it. What you might have to make sure of is that it is no longer linked to his account or he could wipe it clean. Only thing you will want to do is connect to your pc and get itunes to see it and that way you have it linked to your computer. Itunes can be a pain in the rear once in a while but it does a good job of managing the pad. Im using my iPad right now and i love the portability. It's only the iPad original but it does have the 3 g so i can use it where there is service.

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

if you can get an ipad2 for $200 do it. Nothing wrong with it and it will be more than enough for your little one and you. Pretty much everything that is available on the iphone/iPod touch can be downloaded to an ipad.

Matter off fact if you dont take it i would consider getting it , i have started doing some app development and need another one..

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:06 am

Ill go android. Im not a fan of apple. My buddy has an android and its does everything the paid does and more. It even has a Usb port.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was mistaken, it's an Ipad1 for $200, but the deal may fall thru as there was interest within the family to buy it. We shall see.

If I can't get a good deal on an ipad, I am not sure I'll get one.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The other thing to think about is that the Androids are typically cheaper. The Samsung Galaxy (??) I think has better reviews and is the same price. Just a thought.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am open to all options at this point. I won't likely get the latest ipad because I don't want to spend that much, but if the latest android is the same price as the previous model ipad, it'll be a tough choice.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I look at www.dealnews.com for a deal on electronics all the time. Keep your eye open there and you can sometimes find some smokin' deals. I bought my Canon T1i DLSR a couple years back off of a deal from there. It saved me almost $250 off of retail price from any local store.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Gary - will check that.

The motorola XYboard was released today (or at least I got the email today) Don't know a thing about it tho.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Crazy timing on this thread. Just pulled my new Galaxy out of this box tonight. Really enjoying it so far. Not nearly as user friendly as the Apple OS based devices but price makes me happy and capabilities are very comparable.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I just ordered a New iPad for the wife on Apple.com, free shipping, free engraving. I am having it engraved with words from a U2 Song. It will get delivered on Friday, March 16th, saving me from standing in line at Best Buy in 30 Degree morning :).

I notived that Apple.com has Remanufactured iPad 1's for $299.00, iPad 2's for $349.00 free shipping.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Are those remans 3G/Wifi models or only Wifi?

My Galaxy, with 8.9" screen and Wifi only ran me 349 at Best Buy. The 10" units are 389 at Costco right now.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Zack - can you define "not as user friendly"?

I really only need wifi as I don't think I am going to be paying for 3G or 4G service in Germany.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The prices I quoted above are the WiFi models. They have the 3G models available remanufactured as well. I have heard really good things about their remanufactured items, but never purchased one personally. I hear they are hand tested with new cases, screens, battery, etc.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I read an article that stated the Apple remanufactured items are actually superior due to the additional testing and human technitions working on the item. I have a close friend who is the IT guy for a company Utah, he only buys the remanufactured Apple Laptops for their company as he feels they are superior to their new counterparts and the additional cost savings.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If only the same were true of used cars.

The Terrible One

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Tablets - learn me up!

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Chris - thanks for the offer. Let me think on that. Shoot me a price when you have a minute. I'd like to go to a store and touch and feel the new ones, but I know I am not going to buy a new ipad. Too much $$

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If there is any question as to what professionals prefer...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/prof ... d-airlines

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/apps/mobilefd/i ... cloc=cpfps

The software they are using is Jeppesen JeppFD for iPads.......this is one of many aerospace applications that my division of Jeppesen supports.

If you want something that's easy to use...and that airline pilots rely on....you know which one to go with;)

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]