[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Door Hinge Rebuild?
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Door Hinge Rebuild? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Door Hinge Rebuild?
Has anyone ever tried to heat and press out the pins in your old, warn-out, and wobbly door hinges? The hinges looks to be in good condition. The pins are what appears to be worn out, rusted, and thin. I just wondered if it was possible (read: worth the effort) to attempt to press the old pins out and replace with new nylon washers and hardened pins. Any thoughts?

Lubr, 3.5"WH, 31x10.50 DuraTrac, 15x8 Slotts

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Door Hinge Rebuild?
That's what I did on my 73'. I had to lift the door to shut it they were so bad. I took off the hinge and pressed out the old ones. I bought the hinge kit from one of the EB web sites. It worked out great!

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We pressed them out, drilled them and replaced the pins with grade 8 - 5/16 bolts. The result? Tight hinges that are easily removable.

Just did it a few weeks ago, we will let you know down the road if everything is still tight, but we figured there was no harm if the fix failed, the hinges were shot anyway.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I drilled mine out several years ago and put quick pins in them. They worked great for a while, but then they got sloppy after about 6-7 years of daily use. I ended up biting the bullet and buying the stainless lift off hinges.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for all the feedback. The hinges are sloppy but the doors still shut ok. I'm in the process of prepping for blast/body/paint work and don't want to have to deal with poor fitting doors. Hinges are just one more expense in a long list for this restoration. I don't have a press but would like to have the addition to the garage. So, its either new hinges or a press and hinge kit.

Thanks again!
-Andy

Lubr, 3.5"WH, 31x10.50 DuraTrac, 15x8 Slotts

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I would have bought lift off hinges had they been available when I did mine, but they weren't, so I made my own. I used an air hammer to knock the old pins out, drilled it out and put the quick pins in. The stainless hinges that Wild Horses sells are great, I should know, #1 I have a set & #2 I designed them and the foundry that I was going to use stole my patterns and sold them to Scott Drake, who is now manufacturing them. I still have the original wood patterns with a post mark date to prove it, but thats a long story. Anywhoo, they are a lot easier than the way I went and they are a lot more sturdy than drilling and putting a pin or bolt in the hinge.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]