[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Vragor - Clay in Colorado Springs
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Vragor - Clay in Colorado Springs 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Vragor - Clay in Colorado Springs
First the picture. This was this morning (Oct 3 2010) up on Mount Herman.

My granfather bought my Bronco new back in 1970. He used it as a true farming work truck in Blanding Utah (South of Moab) for 15 years. I spent the summer of 1977 with him and my grandmother and they let me drive the Bronco. I'd work for 5 hours a day hauling hay, moving pipe, and driving tractor, then take the Bronco up on the mountain or out on the Mesas for the rest of the day.

After my grandfather passed away my Aunt got it. 5 years later I was visiting Blanding and saw the bronco in front of my Aunt's house with 4 flat tires, the drive shaft hanging on the ground, and listing hard to the left.

I finally managed to convince her to sell it to me. I took it to a guy that rebuilds Broncos. He did a great job and for the next 12 years we used the Bronco in Phoenix during the Winter and up to our cabin in Strawberry Az for the summer. Rides in the Bronco were the highlight of a cabin trip.

Last edited by ClayJ on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Vragor - Clay Jones in Colorado Springs
Continued...

During my oldest's senior year, I decided to let her drive the Bronco to school. She was always asked to drive by friends because they loved the Bronco with the top off (it was Phx, you can do that year round).

Half way through the year, her boyfriend did something that siezed the engine. I never found out just what he did. I had the motor rebuilt but it just didn't run right. After taking it back to the mechanic 5 times he finally told me to go away cause he didn't know what was wrong. I moved up to Colorado and the Bronco got used every so often, but it was never dependable enough to rely on.

Finally 4 years ago I had trouble getting it up my driveway and into the garage. I was so disgusted I just left it parked.

This last February, that same daughter totalled her car. Suddenly she was driving my Accord, and I was without a car (how did that happen???).

I thought that either I get a loan and buy a car, or I could take substantially less cash and once and for all, fix the Bronco myself.

I've spent most of the summer on it, but this weekend I got it running right. I'm still fiddling a bit but I took it up into the hills for the first time this morning. It was a dream to drive. Even stronger than I've ever felt it before.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I definitely know Blanding - I lived in Utah until the last few months. That is a great story. Not many people know the history of their Bronco - how cool to say it has been in the family it's whole life. My Dad had a 1970 Ford Truck that same color - takes me back to riding above the cab in the Camper.

Nice job getting it running yourself - that's the icing on the cake.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Forgot my other ride. 2006 Honda VTX

Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Vragor - Clay in Colorado Springs
I've had the top off for most of the summer. I also added rear shoulder seatbelts recently.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I wish mine was that clean! Nice work on keeping it in the family, Good luck with future plans!

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The shiny rims, new tires, and no top looks really nice.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks great Clay. I didn't realize you had a full cage........NICE !

Hope to see it in person soon.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I still need to paint it. My kids joke all the time about the "Pink Bronco". That's a 24 year old Maaco paint job on it now. I really need to paint it before the winter snows set in since it will once again be my daily driver all winter. I'll probably just do another Maaco paint job on it.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Pulled the top off the bronco for the summer.

I finally took the time to research hardtop storage methods, and rather than just setting the top on a couple tires in the back yard, I slung it from the ceiling of my garage.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice job Clay! That's a similar setup to what I have. However, I have it all backwards. I just put the top back on this weekend and pulled the hoisting apparatus down. :(. I used an old come-along thru a couple of pulleys and a couple 2x4's under the top. Was supposed to be a simple way for one person to hoist the top off or on. It can be done, but alignment is key.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow!! Thats a very cool idea... Looks like it should stay nice and square. Bronco looks cool topless too!!

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I used a couple of ski racks to hoist my top off when I had one. Simple one man way to take it off and put it on. Used a hand winch to hoist it up. Nice Bronco!

2-1973 Broncos
And a couple even run.....

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

From the angle I took that picture you can really see the faded paint on my hood. I just might have to do a $300 EarlSheib

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

With all the fire around the Springs right now (June of 2012) my family and I got to making fire jokes the other day (you gotta laugh or you'll cry).

Someone eventually made a joke about the Phoenix bird and rising from it's ashes. I countered that my Bronco could be a Phoenix.

1) It's red (yes I said RED even though it looks pink).
2) I'ts died and come back 4 times (Rollover in early 70s, Aunt destroyed in 80s, daughter destroyed in 90s, I igored and let die in 2000s).
3) It lived much of its life in and around Phoenix

So we decided to name the Bronco FEENIX

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]