[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Sound deadening without carpet
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Sound deadening without carpet 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Sound deadening without carpet
The tub in my rig is just Herculined, making it loud. Anyone know of a clever way to add some sound deadening while keeping it hose-out-able? Will adding some deadening in the doors, firewall and rear quarters make enough of a difference to be worth it?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Sound deadening without carpet
My interior is only Herculined, and is very loud too.

I put some Q-pads in the door trim panels, and carpeted the interior door trim and I could notice the difference. I have some heat insulation on the firewall. I think an adhesive pad like Q-pads or Dynamat in the quarters, and putting the interior quarter trim panels back in will help. A spray in chip guard like Techtron, is what we were thinking of doing to the inside of my quarters and roof, I still plan on doing it someday.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=50

I can't find any info on Techtron, maybe I have the name wrong, but its just a texture/chip guard used on lower body panels of trucks, under the paint. There are lots of these type products and most body supply shops will have them.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Look up lizard skin. I'm planning to use it.

www.lizardskin.com

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've seen that, could be a good option. Any idea if it will handle UV and general wear and tear if I don't coat over it?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:48 pm

It's supposed to. Just like a bed liner I guess. Get both the heat and sound and be good to go.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Running a hardtop and insulating it makes a huge difference, I have my top insulated, floor herculined and carpet only in the front, JD thinks mine is very quiet, I think it's pretty reasonable, I can take you out for a spin sometime if you'd like to see

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Go diesel and wear hearing protection!

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Perfect!

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh it's going diesel for sure now! Just gotta get loads of dynamat for the interior and heat/ sound insulator for the engine bay

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

heads up.. dynamat is clearing out their old packaging and most placed have it on sale 20-30% or more off.. they are getting rid of Foose as the spokesman... so now would be the time to buy..

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Lizard Skin will deteriorate if you spray it over the top or under any bed liner. That is straight from them. I looked into using it a few years ago and called them to ask if I could spray it over the top of Herculiner (I've got my tub lined too) and they told me that it will only last a couple of years because all bed liners are petroleum based and Lizard Skin is water based and doing an install this way will void any type of "warranty" or anything else they offer. Take that for what it's worth.

Now, with that in mind you can achieve the same basic sound deadening properties, at a lot cheaper price, by going this route. From what I have found out there on the interwebs, the micro-beads in Lizard Skin is just ceramic microspheres and the paint-mixture they are using is just an exterior latex based paint. Soooo.....A 1 lb. bag of the microspheres run about $15 and a gallon of latex paint runs anywhere from $15-50 depending on what you use. Lizard skin runs in the $150 to 200 range for a 2 gallon bucket, depending on where you get it from. And a pound of those should go a lot further than just 2 gallons.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If I was going to do it, I'd go with an oil based paint and use a bed liner gun to shoot it all. The liner guns are relatively cheap (in the $15-25 range) and as long as you prep the bed liner correct, Xylene or Xylol to clean it, then the worst that can happen is you have to re-apply in a few years. I had to do that with Herculiner under the gas pedal as it was. I imagine the reason for the latex paint is for flexibility. Oil dries harder and wears quicker, kind of the bend vs. break theory, so that could be your only draw back. The other option is to buy the microbeads and drop it right into the Herculiner or what ever liner you use and apply it that way. You'd get the toughness of the bed liner with the sound deadening as added creature comfort.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]