[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Metalworking saw
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Metalworking saw 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Metalworking saw
I've got a decent amount of metalworking planned over the next year (sliders, possibly a cage, some railings for my yard, etc). All of it can be cut with a grinder, but I'm wondering if you guys have suggestions for something that will cut faster and more accurately. Thought about a chop saw or bandsaw. Any ideas?

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Metalworking saw
Dry cut chop saw. No sparks, less mess, super quick, very precise, quieter, blade lasts a long time and doesn't get smaller as you use it, metal isn't as hot after during, etc. Only downside is they are still a little pricy as are the blades when they do wear out. That is next on my list of metal working tools. Bandsaw is alright but won't like the thick stuff and takes longer than even a regular chop saw let alone a dry cut chop saw. This is my choice: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6190-20 ... rid_pt_0_0

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Someone over on CB.com posted this up:

http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/factory-rec ... aws&ref=pj

Maybe we need to split one poke

I picked up one of the small HF bandsaws because I was able to get it cheap and it's complete, utter crap. I've usually had good luck with HF's more expensive stuff, but I've had to open the transmission up at least 5 times to reseat the gears in 1/2 an hour of work.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The cheapest is a chop saw. Look on Craigs for name brand stuff or visit your local HF. I have a HF one and while I hate all the grinding dust, it has served it's purpose well for a long time and speed up the cutting process.

Band saws are awesome! But you won't find one cheap most likely.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have one of the Reconditioned Milwaukee 6190-80 saws. Uncle Sam helped paid for it one year. It is a nice saw...if you use it correctly. It does cut without sparks, less mess, super quick, very precise, quieter, blade lasts a long time(depending on the blade and how you use it) like Crawlercreations said. Being someone who is learning things..sometimes the hard way which I learned cutting angle iron for a welding cart. Now I have a dry cut chop saw with a $200 worthless blade, ouch! Need to get a new blade one of these days.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the advice, guys. Between the various forums I'm on it looks like the dry cut chop saw is the way to go-I'll likely pick up one of the reconditioned Milwaukees at some point. Rob, I think you can get those blades sharpened for a whole lot less than $200. Whats the best way to not destroy one?

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you ever used a wood chop saw (miter saw), it's the same style of cutting, let the saw do the work. Do not force the saw thru the metal or it will kick back. Even though there are no sparks, there still are a lot of metal shards. The saw comes with a collector pan but a lot of the shards will get everywhere. Yeah, I could get the blade resharpened but I found on the forums that the blade wears down quicker than other quality blades that cost the same or even less. So, I figured that I would be replacing it with a better one, just sooner than I originally thought.

All in all, you will be happy you bought it. It's a great saw. Also, if you find different blades for different metals (Ferrous metal and Stainless steel) that run at the same rpm you can cut just about anything.

The number one thing to do follow directions.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Awesome, thanks. Always nice to learn from someone else's mistakes. They make my wife less cranky than my own

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Anytime. Yeah, I grew up without having someone to teach me how to do things right, when it came to working in the garage. I've had to learn a lot on my own at times the hard way, granted my dad did teach me how to change the oil and rotate the tires but that was about as far as it went with his knowledge of things in the garage.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Was surfing the web and found this . Good info on how to use a dry cut saw correctly and a tool that you can make to help support the piece you are cutting.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Very cool, thanks!

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]