[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Chainsaws
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
 Chainsaws 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Chainsaws
Maybe I've been watching too many zombie movies lately. Or maybe Bruce Campbell made that much of an impact on me back in the day. Either way, I'm looking to pick up a chain saw. Something not too big, not too small, and definitely not electric. I know this is likely to turn in to another brand war. Anyway, what are your recommendations for a good mid-sized chain saw/set up I can keep in the truck, or throw in the Bronco in a pinch, that can handle most jobs? Think ice storm/Sandy-like clean up with a little firewood cutting thrown in.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Chainsaws
I just rented a Shindawa chainsaw from my local rental place yesterday. It was decent but definitely not one I would recommend, however it had a couple nice features to it worth noting. 1: the motor and chain bar were rubber mounted to the handles so you could barely feel the vibration from the motor and 2: it had a trigger lock to keep it at full throttle. I am somewhat of a newbie when it comes to modern chainsaws as the last ones I messed with were about 10 years ago but I found those to be nice to have. I am guessing just about any modern chainsaw will have these features but thought them worth noting. I felt the shindawa was underpowered and loud though. It was reliable and started easily every time but the noise alone would be enough to make me never purchase one for my personal use.

Now that my almost useless knowledge is out there I will leave it to others that know far more than I!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Keep in mind for the zombie apocolypse... chainsaws run on the gasoline you could be using to get the heck outta dodge!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hmmm, maybe I need a diesel chainsaw. More ZPG (Zombies per gallon).

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm looking at the husqvarna 455 rancher. They usually come with a 18/20" bar and the first thing I would do is down size that to a Max of 16". That way you keep the power but smaller bar .

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The only thing I can add is make sure you go with a well-established brand. I bought a McCullough a few years ago thinking that was a top name brand. They folded and now nobody services them and you can't find parts. Chainsaws can be a tad touchy and obviously need tuning, and sharpening so that is my 2 cents.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My .02 cents, cheap and easy as well, Craftsman has a great price on their 18" , about 1/2 as much as the other brands. I've used it a handful of times and no probs, throw it in the Dbl D (Bronco) and life it good.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a sthil I used to cut down and cut up a 40ft tree seemed work well but I'm no expert. I carry it in my big bronco.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have 2. One is a Homelite XL (16") that I've had for 20+ years. I've used this saw to cut beams for framing houses as well as cut 60' trees for firewood. Worn out 2 bars and probably 8 chains and it just keeps going. I also have a Stihl MS 310 with a 20" bar that is a great saw. I was taught how to sharpen the chains with a file years ago by an old guy that was a saw filer in a lumber mill and have always done it by hand. As far as good chain saws, from my experience I would recommend a 16" bar for general use due to their smaller size and lighter weight. If you plan to do a lot of wood cutting 20". Brands I'd buy, Stihl, Huskevarna, Echo are all good, not sure about Homelite any more (wasn't in the market for another smaller saw). Poulan, Craftsman(which is made by some other Mfg. with Craftsman colors) are less expensive alternatives that are also OK. If the Zombies come I've got one for each hand.
Mark.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mark, that your "chain in a can" I keep seeing on Craigslist? :laughing2:

The Terrible One

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No, but if you wrapped that around a zombies neck and gave it a hard tug i'll bet you wouldn't need a chainsaw.
Mark

Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Very very likely.

The Terrible One

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have an 18" Stihl 290 that i really like. Its handled everything ive thrown at it. Its even had trees land on it, and its still okay.
I have an old early 80s McCulloch that i love, but she busted and i cant find parts.
New mcculloch stuff is crap, and should be avoided.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

saw this on CL today-- not sure if that is a good price or what you are looking for.

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/3421654604.html

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvAI7-Qa2Io
Just sayin'

Nah, really, Stihl is still a quality brand and if looking used, a well maintained one is still a nice machine.

I inherited a Stihl from an Uncle-in-law of unknown condition. I used it a couple times and it started right up. It's a smaller one, maybe 18" and works pretty good for a hobbyist. I'll take you back a few years ago when I was growing up and still living at home. Our primary heat source was a wood stove and we cut 8-12 cords of wood every summer. My dad owned nothing but Stihl. And if you watch the logging shows, you'll see more stihl.

J.D.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Missed out on a Stihl 455 today for 100. Just too slow.

The Terrible One

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So you're Stihl looking?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

2,000 comedians out of work and you have to tell jokes.

:laughing2: Too funny.

Yup. Stihl looking.

The Terrible One

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Another blast from the past thread here. After we moved in to the new place, I started the monumental task of cleaning up the property. The previous owner loved his trees and refused to trim, let alone cut, any of them. Up until last weekend I was using my Dewalt recip saw with pruning blade to handle things. It did fairly well, but all of the battery changes and charging were just annoying. On Saturday the neighbor stopped by and mentioned he had an old McCullough in the garage he never uses. Offered it up to me and said if I could get it running I could keep it at our house. Well, an hour later I had taken down three trees and done a fair job of trimming several others back. Gotta love old tools with "Made in USA" stamped in them.

I'm still on the look out for a new saw. But in the meantime this old horse is still knocking them down.

The Terrible One

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a Poulan (16 inch) from Home Depot that you can have. It will need a tune up for sure and maybe a blade. It was ran about 2 years ago during hunting season. I replaced it with a Stihl MS250 that I bought last year and love it.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I bought a Husqvarna 460 Rancher with a 24" bar 2 years ago. It cuts really well, and starts easy even after sitting for months.

I bought it online from a place in Jersey for $399, wayyyy cheaper than I could anywhere else.

Earlier in the year I rented a smaller Husqvarna and a Stihl and just liked the Husqvarna more, no reason really.

I like having a longer bar at 24" vs. 20" or 22".

J.E.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I bought a 16" Homelite chainsaw at Goodwill about 2 years ago for $35. It didn't run when I got home but I spent $15 on a new coil and have used it to cut down 6 or 7 trees in my yard as well as fetching firewood on campouts. Life is good!

Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:41 pm

I did buy a husq 455 rancher last summer. Used it all summer doing some fire mitigation outside of salida. It is a beast!!!! I did have a chain jump and ruin the chain. But I have since bought a couple extra. Cant find anything it wont cut yet. I'll really put it to the test this spring as there is a 20"+ pine tree that has fallen and will need to be cut up. And on that note my dads old trusty McCullough mac 110 with a 10" bar keeps on chugging along. He bought it in the late 70's. It weighs just as much as my husq with a 20" bar.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]