[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Weekend red eye road trip?
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Weekend red eye road trip? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Weekend red eye road trip?
A gentleman in Sheridan WY has the engine I want to put into Wilma. This is the first time I have run across one of the exact engines I want. It is still in the truck and running to boot!

Anyway, I am thinking of loading up the hoist and tools and heading north very early Saturday morning - arriving sometime mid day, checking it out - if everything looks good then I will pull the engine taking everything engine related (harness, ECM, accessories.... EVERYTHING!) load it all up and start boogieing south. I figure 4 hrs to pull the engine so that puts us back in town about midnight.

Mapquest says about 6.5 hrs each way.

Anyone want to join up, ride along and lend a hand?

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Weekend red eye road trip?
would love to.. but out of town this weekend :(

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dang, I'd love 2 go, but we'd have to be back by noon Saturday.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Too bad - if I had a trailer it could be a gold mine of sorts - paying for itself in scrap!

I just received this email from the seller.

Greg,
I do not have a hoist. however if you want to take everything but the cab, bring a trailer and we can get it up on it. That way you get everything you need for a conversion such as fuel pumps wire harnesses ect. the trans is a 5 speed 2 wheel drive. M5R2 i believe The only other thing I would want is the front wheels, they have aluminum mags that match two in the bed of the truck. these are also for sale if you are interested they are 15x8, i think, 5 lug ford 1/2 ton wheels they look similar to centerlines but are some other brand. either way i work a half day Saturday but should be home a little after 12:00, my wife will be here if you come earlier she can let you drive it etc.

So folks - what else should I be grabbing? This is a 95 F150 with the 4.9L inline that I want. Of course I do not have anyplace to dismantle the truck either.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

BTW - Anyone have a hoist I can borrow for the weekend? -

Chris - How about that engine stand, do you still have it? I will take it if so.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Greg I have one you can borrow but I'm leaving for San Diego tomorrow. Can you pick it up tonight?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd be all over this except the wife is working all day. You don't want 13 hours in a car with my kids...

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes, That IS A Complete 4.9L Out Of A 95 F150 AnD All The accesories in the back of my pick up. also took a good 5 spd trans, the echaust and all the wiring as well as one of the furl tanks, both fuel pumps, all emissions stuff and a good ecm. co pression is 85 - 90 in all cylinders. now i just need to keep trucking south to home...

well, phone dont wanna upload the picture so yoiu all will just have to wait till tomorrow

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Drive safe and drink plenty of coffee! Don't forget Copenhagen!

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

its sweet ice tea amd dipsky

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No Steely Dan or Journey. Only Slayer and Megadeth.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

actly Drew has been in charke of the tune. lots of country and some western.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:57 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I just assumed you had had one for the road. Or two, or three, or four...:shock:

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I promised some pics - but my phone would not let me post them dirrectly nor would it upload them to my photobucket until I went through the whole process of deleteing and re-installing the program on the piece of crap Droid 4G lite from Verizion (yes - I am telling everyone I can - stay away from this POS phone. I have had it 6 months now - they have replaced it 2 times (so I am on my 3rd phone) and it needs it once again.

Ok - phone rant over and I feel better.

Tell the tale and post some pictures about the adventure Drew and I went on Saturday.

I borrowed Mikes hoist, loaded the truck up Friday evening with the tools and "workin on cars" clothing, some road snacks and off to bed. Woke up at 2:30 am thinking of other tools we might need.... Loaded some more stuff and back to bed.

After a few more of these I finally got Drew up at 5:00am and we hit the road by 6:00. A nice drive to Sheraton WY and we arrived there after lunch about 1:00 pm.

I pulled a few spark plugs, tested the compression, crawled around underneath, took the truck for a small drive and came to terms with the seller. All he wants from this truck is the cab (he has one with a 7.3L in it that was rolled) I can have everything else I want from the truck for $500. Heck if I had a trailer I could have rolled it on and taken the whole thing - leaving the cab. Compression was from 85-95psi on the 3 cylinders I checked. She did not smoke, no obvious either. One hell of a deal so we started disconnecting wires. I asked the seller what he had to drain the coolant into - at first he said to drain it out in the dirt. I told him that we can pour it down the drain - he is on a septic so that was not ok. He found us a bucket, we drained into it and I watched him as he poured it out in the weeds nearby... uggh. I noted the stains from several obvious oil dumpings and decided we would leave the oil in the block until I got her home.

We proceeded to unbolt everything - setting aside all the parts and pieces I could imagine we just might need, O2 sensors, the exhaust up to the muffler and including the cat, all wiring, ECM - charcoal canisters, smog stuff....

We fought with the motor mounts and finally out came the torch - cut the bolts off from the under side (so I will need new ones - probably custom anyway) We cut the trans cross member - hooked up Mikes hoist and started pulling the engine and trans only to discover that without removing the intake system - it is not going to come out. So we just removed all the sheet metal - the whole front clip. This took an extra 1.5 hr but was well worth the trouble.

This is when I realized - this is a much bigger and heavier engine than the 302's I am used to with these rigs. Holy smokes this thing is HUGE! So we loaded everything up, took the saddle tank (because it had about 1/2 tank of fuel and he was going to pour it out on the ground) and the pump / sending unit from the rear tank, some more wiring harnesses and started heading south. Let Me tell you - I was wishing I had brought Daniels 3/4 ton truck. My 1/2 ton was maxed out, suspension would bottom out with every hump in the highway. The trip home was as easy as the trip up (albeit somewhat slower). We got home at 3:30 am with Drew taking the wheel from Chugwater WY on. I was real glad to have his help and company for the whole trip.

On to the pictures

Hood off - just getting started
Yeah - she is shoe horned in there for sure
Nope - no way she is coming out
Much easier with the front clip removed
Here you can see how big this Engine is, Taller and longer than the standard 302 / 5.0L. Shoe horning this into an EB is going to be another adventure!
Anyone interested in a 5 speed manual? I brought it home but I am not going to use it. make me an offer - otherwise she is heading to C/L or to scrap
Fueling up in Casper on the way home (BTW - unleaded gas in Casper - 3.09 / gal.) you can see how the truck is sitting low. That is a load for sure.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I love a good road trip story.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice.. almost time to get the drive train together and rolling around!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]