[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - My 73 Ranger Project
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 My 73 Ranger Project 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post My 73 Ranger Project
I see that most of the builds are in this section so I continue on from here. I went out to sandblast today since it was still outside and found the sand a little to damp in the bags. Well as you can see I started taking the right side apart and got a bonus that was under the vent.

Also are the door window frames prone to cracking as you can see??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: My 73 Ranger Project
The bonus I found was a Snap-On wrench and must have taken a picture with my phone instead of the camera. oops

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes on the window frames, seems about 50% of the doors I've seen have cracked, clean them up and weld them. The damage on the right side isn't too bad, very typical for a Bronco.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

A little update on the project. I have not had a lot of time with work and vacation but while I was up in the mountains for the last 10 days I started shopping in the catalogs and got onto the cooling system that I currently have. As you can see in the pics I have a Howe Aluminum radiator and the PO had a manual trans in it. I am changing to a C4 and thought about how am I going to cool it.

The Radiator is not set up for Auto but is brand new. It does not have a mechanical fan but two electric ones. I have about 2 1/2 inches from the water pump pulley hub to the radiator so is there enough room for a Mechanical and Electric one side?

If I use an electric and mechanical is there enough room for a trans cooler?

I have seen coolers with electric fans in a small size has anyone used it? IDEAS????
Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You can run a remote cooler, use one with a fan and thermostat, most have mounted them under the pass seat and protected them someway

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Does the stock fan shroud fit the Howe radiator? Without a shroud, a motor driven fan isn't that effective.

If you can add a shroud it looks like there is room for a fan. You can use a fixed blade fan or a clutch fan. The fixed blade fans are available at most the vendors. Probably some good salvage yard options too.

Here is a thread with a clutch fan option for v-belts. I'm using this set up. I used to run a fixed blade fan. This clutch fan doesn't keep things as cool, and I may end up going back. But its probably more fuel efficient. I don't know exactly how deep it is, if you are interested, I could measure it.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81601

Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No shroud, but I am looking for something to help direct it if I go with flex fan.
Guess I could stay with the twins and have one on all the time and the other come on at a different temp.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Flex fans are designed to flattten out and NOT push air at high RPM. For a street car that is fine, when the motor is at high R's the car is moving down the road, pushing its own air. When a Bronco is crawling on a trail, the R's might be high, but the truck is not moving fast enough to push air through the radiator. That is why a ridged blade fan or a clutch fan is recommended for a slow moving truck.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

you might looking at putting one large electric puller fan on the other side of the radiator instead of or in addition to the two small pusher fans on the front.. might try to find a 2 speed one to run a bit more efficiently in different situations....

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Been looking at the 2 speed fans which might look better behind instead of in front of and as far as my driving, it is going to be highway, town and more in the mountains. Can't say the last time I was with a group on a trail but I'm looking forward to it.
Those with a trans cooler under the passenger side seat, is it cooling effectively?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What color green is that?

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No idea, bought it like that. Original paint under a forest green maybe..

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not to much to update on. I have been repairing the tailgate and one of the hinge sockets that was pretty bad. I found a freeze plug that would fit the best (Dorman 555-041) and it came out pretty nice. Now I just need to weld in the bottom then start pulling the engine before going in the garage.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Any idea why someone would cut the cross member out like this. Looking at the current 351 their seems to be plenty of room? Should I leave this the way it is or weld it back it's place?

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Whoa, that's not right, I'd put it back in like the factory. I'll help if you want, Bubba Smurf has a 351 in it & we didn't mod the cross member.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

x2. The only reason I can think of is that they were trying to run some odd oil pan. Probably not an emergency, but it seems like that could add some additional and unwanted flex to the front end. If you want help, I'm happy to give you a hand as well.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks and when I get to that point I will put a call out.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Pulled the trans, fuel tanks and finished the tailgate repair that was all ate away on the bottom. Hopefully tomorrow I can sandblast under the old girl before putting it in the garage. A lot less mess to clean up......

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wait a minute, a crane, that's just cheating.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not cheating, just using the tools at hand. Besides, tell me you wouldn't use it....

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Anyone used a serpentine set up with a saginaw PS pump on a 351W? If so, can you post a pic and what year parts you used. Planning on hitting the junk this weekend (weather permitting) and would like to pick up what I need. Thanks

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

One of the best sources are vans w/ 351s, I've seen them in both PnPs. There are two types of brackets, one for AC and one without.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Any specific years? Saw a 96 custom van and was not sure. The alt was a different set up than the Taurus mounting pattern?

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't really pay attention to the years, I just look under the hood of almost every van and truck that is older than say mid to early 90's.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll have to look a little closer. Now I am trying to remember if the sag pump and alt sat higher than I have room.
Anyone else used a serp set up with a saginaw pump on a 351??

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

this might help?

"The vehicle that has the correct pump, bracket, and high pressure line for THIS swap is going to a Ford E-Series van. But be careful because there are a few subtle differences in the bracket between the different eras of this van. The van that this pump and bracket must come from will be a 92+ E-series van with a 302/351W, like the one shown below"

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/ ... hp?t=13842

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not opposed to that set up but trying to keep my sag pump yet go to a serp set up. Thanks

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next