[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - EFI fuel system
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 EFI fuel system 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post EFI fuel system
Im in the middle of going EFI and have some questions or shoud say would like some input of the best way to run the fuel pump set up. I and staying with the stock tank for know since i dont have the money to get the bigger EFI tank. So from what i have put together i need to do a low pressure pump from the tank to a high pressure pump them to the motor. From the motor back to a accumulator back to the tank. Any input on this set up or a better one would be great.

Also what LP and HP pumps would be the best.

Should i get a fuel pressure regulator?

3/8'' main line and 5/16'' return?

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: EFI fuel system
Also what psi am I looking for for each of the pumps?

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here is a good diagram for the fuel routing.
http://www.bcbroncos.com/EFI%20plumbing ... 20mark.pdf

I used the same LP pump BC Bronco's sells. I got it from Carquest, but forget the part number. I can look it up if you need it
http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_ ... ts_id=1322

The Carter P4070 is probably the pump with the best reputation.
JD said he used the Holley Red pump with good success.
Any carb pump about 6 psi is ok.

The Airtex E2000 is a replacement Ford factory HP pump that mounts on the frame. It crosses with late 80's Ford truck, if you are looking at Napa/Carquest/RockAuto. You might have to get the mounting bracket from a scrap yard. I think these are 40psi.

I figured a different accumulator body that I think can gain you a few inches. Also an alternative "medium" fuel filter that fits.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3874&hilit=accumulator

I used a 2nd carb pump to use as a transfer pump from my aux tank to my main tank. I fed the main tank through the 5/8" breather line from the tank with a BCB 5/8"x3/8" T, keeping the aux tank system separate from the system carrying fuel to/from the motor.
http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_ ... ts_id=1913

A fuel pressure regulator is part of the stock fuel rails. Some have used an aftermarket regulator instead. Most probably use the stock one.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would first try a setup with just a HP pump mounted close to the tank. Heard lots of people making that work. If that doesn't work well you haven't wasted money on unneeded parts.

I used the BC accumulator, 6-port valve, LP pump and a junkyard HP pump. The BC LP pump is junk. In hot conditions it vapor locked and left me stranded off the side of the road a few times. I replaced it with a carter P4070 (actually 2, one for each tank) and haven't had another problem.

Just use 3/8" for both supply and return. 5/16" is hard to find fittings for. Use the rail mounted regulator.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I still have a wild horses accumulator for sale for $40 if interested. Went with a in tank high pressure pump in mine.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Do I need to use the 6 port valve if I'm only running off one tank?

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

B.O.B can you take a few pictures of it. I will probably take it. PM me and we can work out the details.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great thanks for all the help. Looks like plumbing the lines will be pretty easy. Any info on wiring would also be great.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm running both pumps off the pink fuel pump wire on the RJM harness. It is run through a relay, so it can handle the amps. I've also got the inertia switch installed in this line, so if the truck is hit hard or rolled, it turns the pumps off.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll have to get with Garry (EFIGuy) because I'm running the explorer harness. I'm pretty sure I saw I wire for the fuel pumps.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. EFI is a whole new monster for me, with out you guys this would be a whole lot harder.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My $.02

I just about never run the accumulator setup with EFI. Personally, I have found that this often leads to vapor-lock issues as you're recirculating the warm fuel right back into the fuel rails. I'd rather run the warm fuel back to the tank and pick up cooler fuel. Sometimes this matters, other times, not so much. On the Hammers in May/June, it matters.

I pretty much always run a LP pusher pump, mostly because the HP pump is not good at picking up fuel if it starves out. In other words, once the HP pump loses prime on a side-hill while wheeling, you're going to have to get a buddy to blow into the filler neck to pressurize the fuel line so the HP pump can re-prime itself. It's also nice to have the fuel pump relay accessible so you can jumper the wire and make the pump run continuously while doing this. Never had a problem when using a pusher pump and the Holley Red is the only one I've had last more than 6 months or so.

The fuel pump wire is pretty much a standard wire color, it's a 10 gauge wire that's either DK GRN/YL or PK/BLK.

Pressure in the system is set by the fuel pressure regulator. The same E2000 pump is used in the 5.0/5.8 engines with the 40ish psi regulator, as well as the 4.9 with a 60 psi regulator (the 4.9 runs higher pressure to fight vapor lock since the intake/exhaust and fuel rails are on the same side).

What I didn't see you address is fuel filters. I run one at the tank, before any pumps, something like the fram G-3 and another one after the HP pump, like the stock one for the '90ish E250. You want something to keep the big pieces out of the pumps and you also one the finer one to keep crap out of the injectors, in case the pump starts coming apart.
HTH, Joe

'81 Coachman Caper XL MH, 4WD, EFI 460/ZF/BW1356, D44/Sterling, 4.10s/35s, under const...
'83 Bronco, D60/Sterling, 5.13/ARBs, MAF EFI 351W/ZF/BW1356, 37" MT/Rs.
'12 Buggy, HPD60, Hi-9, 4.10s, Explorer 5.0, Atlas 4-speed, my chassis, EB skins.
And the latest project is a '99 Ranger Extra-Cab, custom frame/tube work, on 40s...

Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I installed the accumulator because most the builds I read included one. I like the idea of keeping the HP pump fed, but nowI seem to be reading how the accumulator is adding to vapor lock problems. Could the accumulator and fuel return line be separated? Feed each separately back to the tank. It would take another return line, but would maybe offer the best of both worlds?

Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here is a pic. Never been used just dirty from being in my leftover parts box

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gunnibronco I like that idea! That leads me to my next question. I'm using the stock tank and there are the filler neck and breather line and then 2 small male barbed ends right next to that. Question is what do those go to and can i run my 2 return lines to those and be done?

Also I got most of the things i need to start running the fuel lines and i noticed that the the fuel pressure regulator sits right on top of the return line connector. how does that work id the fuel comes in and hits all the injectors before getting to the regulator?

Last question for now is how are you EFI guys getting the connector on the return part of the fuel rail with out it hitting the firewall? Right now i can even get the spring lock connector in without fighting the firewall.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I also got that Airtex HP pump. Its a 5/16 outlet on the HP side at 70-95 psi. Is the 5/16 ok if I go straight to 3/8 and is the 70-95 psi ok?

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You can use the 2 small fittings on the tank as return lines. They were to vent the tank through a charcoal filter originally, I think

I just used a short section of 5/16" fuel injection hose (rated for higher pressure than regular carb fuel line) then a 5/16"x3/8" barb adapter I made from fittings at Ace.

What fuel rails are you using? I'm not familiar with anything but the Explorer rails I used, and I don't remember any problems. Viperwolf will know what you are looking at. Mustang rails might be different.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm pretty sure they are mustang.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd consider putting a tubing bender on them and adjusting them as necessary.?!

Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I run only one external HP pump on 3/8 line. Tank...filter....pump....engine....return line....to old drain port on tank. 40 psi on ignition and 37 psi running. It's simple and easy to track if I have a fuel problem. Plus, it's VWA. ( viperwolf approved).

Oh, and I snagged this pump and A spare pump from a PnP. I'm cheap.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You can always flip the rails the other way also if that would give you more room.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]