[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - ZF-5 Behind a 400 M block swap - in an Early Bronco
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 ZF-5 Behind a 400 M block swap - in an Early Bronco 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post ZF-5 Behind a 400 M block swap - in an Early Bronco

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: ZF-5 Behind a 400 M block swap - in an Early Bronco
Why a 400m? Just curious cause I always thought they and the 351m were considered the boat anchor engines. I know little about that family of motors so I truely am curious. I have a small block zf5 in my truck so if you want to see non engine related fitment let me know

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You saw my reply on ACB - But I am curious about the external slave you have. Wonder if that can be retro-fitted to mine...

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm interested in your external slave cylinder set up. Would this eliminate removing the trans to swap a bad slave cylinder? That is my current biggest fear about swapping to the ZF (besides the thought that the ZF I bought on CL isn't functional).

I'd like to see pics, I can't really imagine how an external on will work.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

small block zf has an internal slave.. big block has a external slave

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I did not know that. So I'm probably stuck with the internal one. I was wondering, I hadn't read about that anywhere on CB.com.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's what I'd like 2 look into, is it even possible to use BB zf clutch stuff & mod it into a SB zf. I know that my internal slave is new & good, but I dread the thought of dropping my 200+lb doubler to change it out.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you could figure a reasonable conversion, every EB ZF owner would owe you a :beer:

Good luck!

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm anxiously awaiting the results of your trail and, hopefully minimal, error with this. The idea of a 400/ZF combo has been on my mind often lately. Although I was thinking of saving the 379 for the D20 adapter and slapping a 205 on the tail end instead.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

took some measurements today... measurements are approx but pretty close

Current setup:

Np435 with bell housing (17.5") + Adapter (10") + Dana 20 (10") = 37.5"

Shifter exits floor at 11.5" from front of bell housing

Front Driveshaft = 24"
Rear Driveshaft = 35"

Going to:

BigBlock ZF-5 with integrated bell housing (26.25") + Adapter (1.5") + Dana20 (10") = 37.75"

Shifter exits floor at 13.5" from front of bell housing

Front Driveshaft = 23.75"
Rear Driveshaft = 35.25"

So approximately .25" longer.. even with a margin of error of 1" I SHOULD be good to go as far as the driveshafts are concerned.. probably have to open the shifter hole up.. I MIGHT get away with using the same TC shifter hole but we will see.

Anyway, going to check out the zf make sure its sound and then hopefully reseal it this week and clean it up!

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I love it when a plan comes together! This will be so nice!

Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Picked up and test fit the custom spacer.. looks like it should work but wont know until i pull out the current transmission and transfer case...

My shopping list is getting shorter but still a ways off from being complete.

New Centerforce clutch disk for a 460
351W Auto starter
Special Flywheel bolts
New Throwout bearing
Adapter from the ZF-5 to the Dana20

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Shiny new parts, woohoo

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok I have finally thinned the heard and have a little money to continue on with this project. I have pretty much decided to just use the zf-5 with teh D20 adapter and see how that works out for the time being. I will leave the Atlas swap for another day :)

Just to keep things straight here is my list of stuff to purchase...

12" Dual Centerforce clutch disk for zf-5
Throw out bearing (dodge)
ZF to D20 adapter
Longer crank/flywheel bolts
Dual sticks for a T shift D20
Fabricate a cross member
Brake pedal to make a clutch pedal
351W Auto starter

Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Did you and Kinder look at putting an external slave on the ZF??

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Big block ZF-5 comes with an external

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ah, ya he would be more knowledgeable for sure. I am sure he will check it out after the new year. I am STILL debating the TC decision.. it has been suggested I would be better off with the 205 until I decide to swap to an Atlas but that brings other problems into the mix..

Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd love to set the SB & BB ZF-5's next to each other and do a nice side by side comparison of not only the slave setup but a few other dimensions as well. Chis you know to call me when you are ready to do this.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok I am about to start the ZF swap, have one or two little items to pick up but the bronco is in the garage and I will start removing the interior tonight and then drop the current NP435 and Dana20 out of it Friday and Saturday.

Only have a few more parts to order.. 351w Auto starter and the clutch plate for the 460 zf-5 however I am not sure what size I need until I pull the current pressure plate and flywheel but assume its the 12" version that is common behind the 400.

I will take as many pictures as I can along the way, I am interested to see what kind of clearances I have between the frame rails, exhaust and how much cutting I will have to do for the shifter.. will be entertaining :-X22

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have every confidence in you!

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

x2. Let me know if you need a second set of hands.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

OK well I have decided to go with a 1350 rear driveline since I need a new driveshaft.

I will order a 32 spline 1350 Flange for the rear D20 output and I just ordered a 1350 Yoke for the Ford 9".

Once I get the zf-5 and Dana20 installed I will measure and have a high angle 1350 Double Cardon built...

I ordered the last of my parts last night, my new clutch disk should be here midweek next week which means I can get the transmission fitted and inplace then build the supporting brace.. if I can get a welder to my house :)

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm headed out to the garage now to work on the beast.. probably end up dropping the TC and maybe even the transmission this afternoon / evening.

If anyone wants to drop by PM or Text my phone and come on by.. I live near Downtown about 1.5 miles south of downtown.

The green 76 bronco is in front of my garage in the alley.

I plan on being out there for a while probably 7 or 8.. maybe later if someone shows up :)

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next