[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Measurement help
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Measurement help 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Measurement help
I was looking at my project list and reading up on how to replace the door posts. Well, that got me to looking at other things and I noticed I have a decent sized gap between the top of the windshield frame and the hard top.

Does anyone have measurements for where that should be?

The reason I'm worried about it is because when I bought the truck (sadly, 10 years ago) I had the kick panels replaced. Shortly after that, I went to boot camp and then had other commitments, so the truck sat. I don't really know much about the body guy it went to (recommended by someone), and after I started to get back into the Bronco, I started finding, well, shotty work and shortcuts... So, I got a welder, and will be learning myself how to do it, and will probably be asking for more help and measurments in the near future.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Measurement help
Here is the only measurements I've come up with, this has been posted over at cb.com. I'd expect if something is wrong at the top of the windshield it would be apparent in the door opening measurements. Hope this helps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gunnibronco - Thanks for that. I found that pic and think I'll do the same type of thing when I get to replacing door posts.

I don't have the seal on the top of the windshield anymore so I'm not real sure how tight its supposed to fit or look. I'm at work now, so I'll need to measure when I get home and see how big it is

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

One more question... Where are you guys getting your sheet metal from?

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd get a new seal, and bolt everything down. Then look at the gaps around the door. I don't know how a top would sit without a seal & not bolted down. I think there is enough "give" in the top to move a lot. If the kick panel or pillars aren't square they would throw the windshield off.

My passenger A pillar is pushed forward & towards the driver side, from an accident the PO had. It throws my whole truck off, hood, door gaps, fenders, roof. The driver side looks ok, but other than the driver door, every other gap is off. The measurement "BC" in the diagram is different from "II" and that alone throws the whole truck off.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm going to be headed down this road soon as well. Both kick panels and front door posts will come out and be replaced. My plan is to take measurements off the other two, unmolested Broncos here, and use this to obtain my firewall/behind the dash measurements. I'll then set Terrible One's firewall at that height and tack in two pieces of box steel to hold it at that height (they'll run from floorboard to dash). Once done, I'll see how the windshield frame to hard top gaps look and adjust accordingly.

One thing I would love to do is figure out how I make a door post jig, effectively giving you the ability to bolt the new door post up, weld, and be within acceptable tolerances.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I braced the dash and upper kick panel with steel like you're talking about, then sectioned in most of the kick panel. Screwed the door post in place with self tapping sheet metal screws, then took out a few screws at a time and welded. It let me adjust the for post perfectly before welding.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

BTW, how big is the gap?

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Zack, depending on what all needs replaced... If just door post... Cut out door post , screw in new one in a couple of spots. Then re install fender and bolt it down. The 3 big screws in the side of the fender will become your basic jig. More sheet metal screws etc etc, fine tune and weld. This method goes so much faster than a tape measure

Justin... Door gaps can and will vary, just get me somewhat symmetrical 1/8th or what ever works. The turds pass side is about a 32nd by the repop fender, and on the drivers is more like 3/16. Even cut the pass repop , shortened and it's still tight. No bronco is the same holds true

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Bones, in my opinion , toms and WH have the best fitting sheet metal, door post and such are pretty much the same, vendors will get their floor pans from diff sources, and vary quite a bit

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The gap is about 3/4". I think it should be fine, but I cant get the windshield and hard top to line up when I try and get them close together. I really dont think it will be a problem, just wondering how thick the seal/weather strip is.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]