[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Increasing flow from reservoir to Explorer pump.
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Increasing flow from reservoir to Explorer pump. 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Increasing flow from reservoir to Explorer pump.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I gotcha. Well, I can't see that the reservoir itself makes much of a difference but who knows. I found this one that should mount in the same location but it's shorter so I could get the output higher.

http://www.circletracksupply.com/prc-la ... t-car.html

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Is your current supply line horizontal from the res to the pump or does it have to go uphill at all?

I did get a response back from my friend. He said high, short, vertical, big are what is needed to supply adequate volume. He ended up building his own res from 3" alum tube and putting his own bungs on it. But with a truggy, he has a lot more options than you.

Before throwing more money at it, I'd look long and hard at what you could do to temporarily raise your res up and try to recreate the issues before. If it seems better, then cut as much of the supply hose out as you can, reattach and see what happens.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The other thing that I think helped me is that the outlet on my reservoir is at a very slight angle rather than vertical.

This eliminates the need for the 90 which as Justin correctly indicated, may cause flow restrictions.

image.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You can see in this one pic the incline...

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Airbur, seeing those pics I agree you are on the right track

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

These are pics of NVRSTK's Bronco. You can see that his reservoir is WAY higher than mine is. He has a 3" body lift and a raised hood.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm going to see how far I can raise the reservoir with the hood propped open. Limiting factor will be the return lines as they aren't any longer. I may make some new ones just for this test.

If I can verify a significant difference in performance this way, I'm going to drill a big hole in the hood so the reservoir can stick out!:)

I though about using a small hood vent scoop over the hole, but the location is to close to the main scoop.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Increasing flow from reservoir to Explorer pump.
I was able to raise the reservoir up about 3" today by just moving some of the hoses. Drove around a bit using the brakes hard and steering at the same time. I didn't notice any issues. The output on the reservoir and the input on the pump are level. So there's my problem. The only way to keep it like this is to cut a hole in the hood:(

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Glad you confirmed the diagnosis.

Your kidding about the hole in the hood right ?

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

How much volume do you think that tank needs to have?I'm going to be doing this sometime in the future and dont want to have to use any body lift.I think it would clear my glass hood,but not sure on a stock hood.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wild Horses is making a bracket to replace the stock Explorer pump with a Saginaw pump. I think I'd do this before messing with the Explorer PS pump.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/16340

Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Interesting. But it only has 1 return and no AN fittings. Also, something about that install/bracket/doesn't seem as stout as the Explorer's.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Saginaw pumps can be had with 1 or 2 returns. I don't think they are going to be AN though. I'm not sure how stout the brackets need to be. The Saginaw pump has a better reputation than the Explorer pump.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The dual returns on a Sagniaw aren't AN, although you could have someone weld AN fittings on it. Really at that point, you could just mod any Saginaw housing. Now that I think about it, I may need to do that to mine. I've got the WH v-belt Sag bracket. It's plenty stout.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Increasing flow from reservoir to Explorer pump.
I believe you can swap the rear reservoir on a Saginaw with one that has an fittings. I did it on my full size for my hydro assist. I don't remember who I bought it from but I will look.

Will this work? This is the one I used.

https://www.polyperformance.com/shop/PS ... 29314.html

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I did some and didn't find anything. Let me know if you do. If nothing else you could pull the housing off a junked car.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was just reading a thread on CB.com regarding replacing all the Explorer pump internals with internals from a diesel unit? Anyone heard of this? The guys say it's awesome and they don't have any more issues.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:48 pm

the diesel pump probably does flow more but I feel its still not enough. Atleast on my truck. The diesel does have to run hydroboost and steering. Plus it has 1000+ lbs over the front tires.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next