[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Airbur's 427W Build Thread
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Airbur's 427W Build Thread 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Airbur's 427W Build Thread
I had the wife turn it off and on today so I could try to pinpoint the squeal. That's just about impossible. I think it may be coming from the tensioner as Viper mentioned...at least part of the squeal. I went ahead and ordered a Motorcraft version as the one I have is a cheap aftermarket unit.

I also noticed that on the top pulley (in the middle next to the power steering pump) the belt rides just on the inside lip, not 100% on the flat part. I'm not sure if this could be causing a squeal but I know it's not right. I checked and there is no washer to remove to get it a little closer. Any ideas?

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You can move the bearing inside the pully a bit.I swaped bearings in that pully this morning.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cool. I'll check that when I replace the tensioner next week. Thanks

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Airbur's 427W Build Thread
Got the new Motorcraft tensioner installed and now I'm down to just a little squeak when I start it up. Much less than before. I checked the battery and I think it may be the remaining issue. It was at 12.30 volts and I watched it decrease within 30 seconds to 12.17 volts.

Here are some comparisons pics of the tensioners.

Last edited by airbur on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

After 1.5 hours it's down to 11.98. New battery time:(. Damn Optimas.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Is the alternator plugged in?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just installed a new battery. Now the squeak is even less. Not sure what else to try.

Ended up going with an Interstate MEGA-TRON PLUS 78DT.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I had a thought...I wonder if this is no longer the serpentine but my MAF filter sucking in a big gulp right at startup. The sound is more like a short whistle now.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I can hear my 70mm sucking air, much more than my 55mm MAF. It makes a funny noise when I shut my truck off. So yours very well might be making noise. That 427 must use up a lot of O2.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yep....I can definitely hear mine sucking air. But a whistle makes me think there is a leak somewhere.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

JD said his 70mm MAF whistled at idle on his 351.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I chased around a belt squeak / chirping for a long time. It was the top idler pulley. I tried replacing the bearings but I couldn't get them to seat completely flat/perfect. I eventually dropped the $25 for a new complete pulley and that fixed it. However, I understand the squeak too. It's friggin annoying. I could barely tolerate being next to Rox's rig when he started it.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My 400 makes a sort of supercharge whine moan through the air intake.. maybe take the filter off and see if it goes away?

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:58 pm

your hearing the idle air controller open up when cold. You wanna hear a loud one my car is crazy loud.

Have some one start it when its cold(24hrs) and have your head under hood. Listen right around the air filter. Bet thats what your hearing. Another thing to try and see if thats it start it and give it just a small rev. Once the throttle opens it should go away.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

At least one other guy on CB has a persistant startup squeal and he has replaced everything, except the Driven Auto crank pulley.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I pulled the air filter off...no change...but today it sounds more like a squeal again. I sent a message to Driven Auto Parts to see if they'd be willing to ship me another crank pulley to test with.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Finally got around to purchasing the new Explorer balancer/pulley assembly (28OZ) from Damper Dudes. While it wasn't cheap, and removing installing it was a bit of a process (drain coolant, remove radiator, remove belt, remove fan/clutch assembly, remove/install balancer, refill coolant etc.), I HAVE NO MORE STARTUP SQUEAL!

I believe the Driven Auto pulley only works (without squeal) on 289/302/5.0L Explorer Front Dress installs. It will function on a 351W block...but may squeal.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think they don't cut the grooves correctly. I've seen some close ups of both and they are different. The squeel is more noticeable with a higher amp alternator.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Happy to find this thread still alive. The 427 is still purring away great. Will try to make the breakfast tomorrow.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13