[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Engine rebuilding for a rookie
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Engine rebuilding for a rookie 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Engine rebuilding for a rookie
So I have a question for you engine builder type. I have to admit, I have always had my engines built by professionals. I never wanted to mess something up costing me more money doing it twice. I have a very good relationship with my engine builder from my years in mud drags with my bronco and more recently my ASA Super Late Model ($$$$$) career. Unfortunately, my engine builder is in Wisconsin.

So, as my piggy bank grows for my drag car engine (not going to build that one), I am thinking about putting a new crank in my 351w that’s sitting in the shop to just get the car running. I had it professionally built a bunch of yrs ago with good stuff. It ran like a top for about 300 miles until I stood my bronco on its rear end and washed the crank out.

To my question, I need to pick up a new crank and bearings or turn this crank down and get some oversized bearings but can any dummy install and assemble a crank and bearings? Any good books that walks someone thru this? Any mentors out there that want to take a trip to the great NORTH to show me how to put this in? I setup my own gears this year and they are still inside the diffs so thought maybe I would try this…
I am looking for a little advice. Either stay away and let the professionals do it or, go for it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Engine rebuilding for a rookie
Go for it... At the least have the crank checked and turned, machine shop will or should set you up with the bearings, get some plasti-gauge and have at her

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yep, if you Google small block ford rebuild you'll quickly see that 2 books lead the pack. There are also a couple of good YouTube video series that are decent.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gregg rebuilt his engine. I would hit him up for pointers and maybe a day or two at the garage.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There are pics and good info on a video series in my build thread.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

How bad were the bearings? Did they spin in the rods? Might need have the rods checked.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Any pics of the bearings? I have all the measuring tools you might need and would help out if needed. We would just have to work out a good time and around my heavy work load.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the offer to help. No pics of bearings but here's one of the crank and rods. Going to take the crank in next week to see what they say.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:44 pm

you may look into new rings too just as a JIC cheap insurance. New oil pump too. If it starved of oil standing on end then you may want to check the cam and cam bearings also.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There's a good bunch of pics of installing bearings and crank for my build starting here about 2/3s down...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2696&hilit=Airbur%27s+427

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I will check everything. I'm taking it all apart anyway as I am this far already. Removed the intake and started cleaning everything the afternoon with the kid. On hold till I get the crank in.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, plans have again changed... Going stroker in this block. If anyone is looking for a good rotating assembly with worked heads for a 351w let me know.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

pm sent

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]