[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Junkyard 609
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Junkyard 609 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Junkyard 609
I've had the majority of the parts set aside for a while now, time to get this part of BSD's upgrade started.

Parts I have.
- 9" housing cut for driver side drop
- 9" diff. 4 pinion w/ power trax locker, 31 spline
- D60 Kingpin C's out
- D60 axles, that'll be cut down & re-splined
- WH track bar mounting plate

Parts I need.
- Inner seals for 9" housing
- Means to mount radius arms to housing, plan is to build plates & bolt my long arms to them

I've broken down one of the D60 C / Knuckle setups. Those suckers weight a ton, I'll guess over 80 lbs. These were off a dually truck so they weighed even more. Trei hooked me up with single wheel hubs so I'll drop a couple lbs there.

After I break down the other D60 end I'll get to cutting the old tubes out of the C's.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Junkyard 609
Cool! Are you going low pinion and running on the coast side of the gear?

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Jim Cole/Bloody Knuckle Garage offers his arms as a "weld on" option. He replaces the C-bushing caps with a different piece that welds to an axle tube. Something similar to the way Battlement's weld on. You might contact him, I bet he'll sell the pieces to convert your arms. He was very helpful when I was buying my arms.

jim@bloodyknucklegarage.com

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh, I like where this is going! fire fire

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh boy, so jealous! The worst part is if you snap an inner shaft. But I would totally love to do this!

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:23 am

I believe duffs has the brackets to weld on also. If not I have a set of wedges floating around in the garage I can part with.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think you'd be better off going away from the wedges. Ballistic Fab, Poly Performance, etc may be able to help you out.

How do your current arms attach?

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:39 am

I agree with JD. Just throwing it out there as an option.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm not trying to poke holes here, but it seems like a lot of work just to change from a 30 spline to 31 spline axleshaft and still driving on the coast side of the gears. Even adding a 35 spline ARB to the 9" would remove that weak link, but leave the other.

On a totally different line, I like the idea of running D50R gears in a D44R housing, with a 35 spline ARB and adding the D60 outers. Pretty bulletproof, great ground clearance and much less weight than a D60. Probably cheaper to build in the long run as well (vs. a D60R, not the JY 609).

As for the arm ends, Jim Cole does sell them separately, IIRC they're $100ish for the pair. It's not that hard to make something like them, you could probably build out of some 1" x 6" rectube, plated around the ends and drilled for the bushings and notched for the axle tube. Duffs are pretty much the same as the Cage/Bloody Knuckle setup since all those were Jim's ideas.

BTW, which JY do you go to where you can get D60 parts?
Joe

'81 Coachman Caper XL MH, 4WD, EFI 460/ZF/BW1356, D44/Sterling, 4.10s/35s, under const...
'83 Bronco, D60/Sterling, 5.13/ARBs, MAF EFI 351W/ZF/BW1356, 37" MT/Rs.
'12 Buggy, HPD60, Hi-9, 4.10s, Explorer 5.0, Atlas 4-speed, my chassis, EB skins.
And the latest project is a '99 Ranger Extra-Cab, custom frame/tube work, on 40s...

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

'81 Coachman Caper XL MH, 4WD, EFI 460/ZF/BW1356, D44/Sterling, 4.10s/35s, under const...
'12 Buggy, HPD60, Hi-9, 4.10s, Explorer 5.0, Atlas 4-speed, my chassis, EB skins.
And the latest project is a '99 Ranger Extra-Cab, custom frame/tube work, on 40s...

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks. Thats cool. Something new to think about.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gunni - I'll likely just make my own, I've seen Jim's brackets and they are nice, but I noticed they won't be making any for a while since they have a large commercial order. I'll contact him when I get closer and see if I can just get the pieces and build them myself.

ZOSO / JD - I have Duffs long arms now, and they have the same 2 bolts that the old Cage Arms had, so brackets are the way to go. Right now they have the C wedge adapters on them for the stock D44.

Joe - The 609 build is a compromise, like most things. I would have loved to keep the KP D60 intact but I couldn't. With my diesel conversion the motor is sitting low, I've shoved it back as far as I could without modding the firewall (which I wasn't against doing), but there is no way to put a high pinion diff in there. I already smack the low pinion D44. The 9" center combined with a low pinion diff will actually gains me some room and I dump a ton of weight. The D60 C's and out will gain me the increased wheel bearing capacity that I need with my new found vehicle weight and the D60 U joints will be a welcome addition. Finally I just happened onto the KP D60, it is the later model and was on a dually, which I'll guess is why it was still there for me to pick.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tried to push the tubes out of the C's last night, failed. Looks like I need to cut into the tubes a bit more, where did I put the torch?

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

At the bottom of that pile of parts in the right side of the garage.......

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Crap, I should have posted up b4 I cut it up, didn't think anyone would have D60 stuff laying around. I now know better. I'd might be interested in a DW/SW hub swap, I'll give you a ring tomorrow.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I do believe I need to come visit. I'll bring the DW hubs, my inventory sheet & some cash.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks 4 the tip, I'll bring a selection.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

And 33x2's drivetrain.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

And and and...

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]