[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Locker/Gearing Talk
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Locker/Gearing Talk 

Post Re: Locker/Gearing Talk
4.29/4.30 gears are an oddball size. you just need to make sure the fronts and rear match. They would be a good choice for "more" gearing for 33's or "less" gearing for 35's

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm running 4.11s in mine with the Windsor and have never had a issue even when I was running the original 3 speed. The low end power is more than enough on mine and isn't nearly as built as yours. With the zf it is almost overkill in 4 low. I would vote though for 456 since it seems like highway isn't often.

Selectable would be my vote. Locked on the street can be a pain. Do they make electric for the 9 inch now?

Last edited by aaah1 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

'81 Coachman Caper XL MH, 4WD, EFI 460/ZF/BW1356, D44/Sterling, 4.10s/35s, under const...
'83 Bronco, D60/Sterling, 5.13/ARBs, MAF EFI 351W/ZF/BW1356, 37" MT/Rs.
'12 Buggy, HPD60, Hi-9, 4.10s, Explorer 5.0, Atlas 4-speed, my chassis, EB skins.
And the latest project is a '99 Ranger Extra-Cab, custom frame/tube work, on 40s...

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There's a significant change going on in the off-road design school now, where many places recommend putting the $$ in the front locker vs. the rear if you're only going to do one. Think about it, the front end does much more "pulling" being under the weight of the engine vs. the back "pushing" you up and over obstacles. I know that, given the same locker setup front/rear, I would rather have to get "out" of a bad place on just the front end vs. just the back end.

My '83 BBB was set up with 4.88s and a ZF with 35" tires and an Ected up front/spool back. I really like the way it's a HD LS when not turned on, I often forget to turn it on because I've already climbed the obstacle.

I recommend keeping the same type of locker front/back ie ARB or Ected. The Ected would mean you'd have to go with an 8.8, but that might not be a bad deal in the long run.
Joe

'81 Coachman Caper XL MH, 4WD, EFI 460/ZF/BW1356, D44/Sterling, 4.10s/35s, under const...
'12 Buggy, HPD60, Hi-9, 4.10s, Explorer 5.0, Atlas 4-speed, my chassis, EB skins.
And the latest project is a '99 Ranger Extra-Cab, custom frame/tube work, on 40s...

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

On a mostly stock rig that has weaker front axle components than rear I would put the locker in the back.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm saying the stock 28 spline 9" axles are more durable than the stock 260x front shaft u-joints.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I must have read some of the same material as Joe, my 1st locker when into the front of my Bronco based on the whole "it's up in the air and has less traction" idea. I was never disappointed with that decision. When I added my rear locker it was as if I was cheating the traction gods. I don't wheel much with brute force, but when I make stupid decisions (mud, FWD only, etc) the part that breaks on my truck is the front shaft u-joints ears. I've gone through 3, both long and short side. I haven't broke a rear 28 or 31 spline yet. This is my personal experience only, I haven't done a ton of wheeling, but I do try to get out as much as possible.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Have 351c, np435, and 35s, was hoping for the best set up to drive to the trails as comfortably as possible. Bronco is also my daily driver so thought 4.29 would be a good highway choice. Interested in this ected locker, never heard of it

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

4.29 is a good option, if a bit odd. I ran 4.11s with a 302, np435 and 35s and was pretty happy with it. Good highway gears and worked well for what I was doing offroad.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My fear with choosing a less common set of gears is you are running trails in Moab for a week and knock off some teeth on a ring the second day. The chances of you getting another gear set in time to salvage the trip are dismal. But chances are good, you'd find 4.10's, 4.56's etc.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is very true, maybe I'll skip being exotic and do 4.56. Justin sorry I didn't make it to help the other weekend. Sick baby

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

JM's advice is good. No worries, we had many hands. Hope your kiddo is feeling better.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ARBs are the way to go.

I have been running them for 12 years and 130,000 miles now. Dispite fears about air lines and o-ring seals failing, it just doen't happen often. The lines are very robust and it is CHEAP to carry a spare line and fittings. Think about it for a minute, people don't run cable actuated brakes because they are a afraid of a broken hydraulic line. Yes it happens, but with proper maintenence, you minimize your risk.

I have only cracked one ARB line. It happened at a time there was so much ice packed up under the truck, the suspension couldn't even move. A chuck of ice fatiqued the line right at the rear diff and it developed small leak, but the locker still worked!

I had a detroit in the rear of my old rig, which was a super cab Ranger (128" wheelbase) The Detroit worked all the time, but you could feel it trying to push the truck right or left depending on which side engaged first. It also wore the rear tires at about twice the rate of the fronts. The ARB is very predicated on the trail and much better for heavy throttle hill climbs. With the Detroit, the tire that is acutally pulling on a hill climb would lose traction and the power transition to the other tire was clunkly and would cause momentary stalls in forward progress. This simply does not happen with a spool or ARB.

As for gears, I would stay away from odd-ball ratios like 4.29s for the same reasons already stated. 4.10s and 4.56s are extremely common. For 35s without OD, I would definitely go with 4.10s. This is how I'm rolling around right now and I would not want to run more RPM going down the highway. I'm in the process of installing a ZF-5 to gain overdrive, and when I switch axles, I'll be going with 4.56s to match the new transmission. (This is the same tire size/gear combo I have run for 12 years on my old rig.)

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks to Digger & RJLougee for the insight into how different lockers affect hardcore rock crawlers. I've never done the stuff you guys build trucks for. I have never felt like my locker was making the truck track to the side or missed a 'line' because the locker moved the truck off line. Interesting stuff & food for thought.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2