[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - From two shocks to one
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 From two shocks to one 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post From two shocks to one
My Bronco came with dual shocks on all four corners. Seeing as I am not planning to do any Baja racing anytime soon, I'm hoping to improve the ride quality a bit.

Today I removed the forward most shocks on the front axle. Now, I'm having a tough time deciding which of the two rear shocks to remove.

So, given the choice between removing the forward facing rear shocks or the rearward facing, which should I pull and why?

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: From two shocks to one
one on each side and pretend your a chevy :)

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I doubt it matters much. I'd pull the front shock mainly because it's closer to the factory setup.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I believe most of the upgraded suspension systems have the shock going forward, but the factory engineers put them facing back. So who do you believe had the best insight. Helpful?

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I discussed this with Jim Cole when I was buying my long arms. He said put the rear shocks forward of the axles, so I did.

I've read that since the axle travels slightly backwards when the leaf springs compress, the shocks should be behind the axle for maximum dampening.

I don't think it really matters.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post From two shocks to one
Thanks for all the replies guys. Just when you think you might obsess too much over something, your OCD Bronco friends chime in and make you feel better.

Factory versus aftermarket is an interesting comparison. My '66 had forward facing rear shocks so I suppose the Ford engineers were of similar thinking as the aftermarket at one point in time.

I'm just happy with the results of pulling off the two fronts earlier today. Less dump truck full of cinder blocks feeling on the way home. Maybe tomorrow I can drive to work and hit a pothole without my coffee spraying the roof of the truck.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Can you pull the rear facing, see how it drives, then swap and see what feels better?

1974 Ford Bronco 3 1/2 inch James Duff lift ,2 inch body lift, 351w Explorer EFI, Viper built c4, Viper built Dana 20 with wildhorses twin stick, Kinder built Dana 44 with 4.56 gears disc brakes aussie locker and knuckle over conversion, Kinder built 9 inch with grizzly locker 31 spline axles and 4.56 gear

Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

^ good idea. Do you have an iPhone? If so download one of those fancy apps that use the accelerometer and give us a data output on the differences. Too OCD?

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good Grief Kinder - 1/2 of us are lucky to have an accurate speedometer and functioning tachometer in our trucks

accelerometer indeed

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I pulled the rear shocks. And downloaded an accelerometer app.

The truck rides pretty well now. I still lose coffee on the drive but it doesn't feel like I'm hitting a parking block every time I hit a bump.

There won't be any data comparison any time soon. I sheared off one of the studs on one of the rear shock mounts.

The Terrible One

Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]